Klutzo--need your help

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TaniaF, Dec 2, 2002.

1. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

Can you take digestive enzymes while I'm weaning down off of the Prevacid? Should I eat low acid or alkaline foods? I don't have litmus papers to test saliva but I do have urine strips and my PH is very acidic. This is confusing as to take acid-reducing pills or not. The doctors here are rediculous--all they want to do is write presciptions--it's the easy way for them. I believe if I change my diet and wean off pill to maybe just some Maalox, this might help. Proton Pump inhibitors are much stronger than antacids--I believe. Could use some of your knowledge.
    thanks
    Tania
  2. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

Can you take digestive enzymes while I'm weaning down off of the Prevacid? Should I eat low acid or alkaline foods? I don't have litmus papers to test saliva but I do have urine strips and my PH is very acidic. This is confusing as to take acid-reducing pills or not. The doctors here are rediculous--all they want to do is write presciptions--it's the easy way for them. I believe if I change my diet and wean off pill to maybe just some Maalox, this might help. Proton Pump inhibitors are much stronger than antacids--I believe. Could use some of your knowledge.
    thanks
    Tania
  3. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I don't really know how to help, since I have no idea what is actually wrong with your stomach.
    You can take digestive enzymes any time as long as you have eaten a meal with protein in it. Do not take one if all you are eating is a salad or a piece of fruit.
    Everyone should eat more alkaline foods. The human body is designed to eat a diet that is about 85% alkaline and 15% acid. The typical American diet is exactly the opposite of this. A good book for you to read on this would be "Alkalize or Die". I can't remember the author, but you should be able to find it using the title. Veggies, salads, and raw fruits, esp. figs are good choices.
    I have never heard that you have to wean yourself from PPI's. I thought you could just stop. When in doubt about a medication, always ask a Pharmacist, not a doctor. Pharmacists are much more knowledgeable about drugs, and they aren't just getting one-sided info from drug salespersons like doctors are.
    Your urine PH should not have much to do with whether you are making enough stomach acid or digestive enzymes or not. The digestive tract is seperate from the genito-urinary tract. I am no expert on urnine PH or kidney function and what it means.
    Perhaps you should re-title this post and direct it to Marla, since she has more conventional medical knowledge than I do, being a Chiropractor. I have only studied Nutritional Medicine, and from an alternative point of view only.
    Klutzo

[This Message was Edited on 12/03/2002]
  4. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

I am going to start eating the alkaline/acid diet and slowly stop the antacids and see how I feel. One thing a nurse practioner told me (and not for digestion, just over all health tonic) is to drink water with some lemon juice inside. I believe lemons have a tendency to neutralize acids and keep the bodies PH in sync.
    Tania
  5. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Must be fibro-fog, but I forgot to mentin before that putting lemon juice in your water at meals will help your digestion. That is what's behind the practice of the lemon wedge you get in your water glass in restaurants. It will not help if you have too much acid. So, if it does help, that's a clue that you my be low in stomach acid.
    Klutzo
  6. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

I must be in a stomach flare, because the lemon juice in water today didn't help---it made my indigestion worse. I'm probably too acidic--that why I've been told to take antacids. I'm still going to follow the low acid diet. It is recommended for people with GERD.
    Tania