Klutzo, Renner43, Dolly79 - RE: Prolotherapy

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by KayL, Mar 28, 2003.

1. KayL

KayL New Member

I'm having it in 4-5 weeks. We've had the discussions here in the last week or two about what it is/how it's done. I'd really like to know:

1) After you had it done, once the lidocaine wore off, how bad was the pain?
    2) How long did it get worse before it started getting better? The literature my doc gave me states it will get worse for about 48 hours, then gradually improve.
    3) How long has it been since your treatment and how do you feel now compared to how you felt before the treatment?
    4) Also, did you use the anesthetizing cream on the area before you had the treatment? My doc has told me to use this, since it will minimize the pain.
    5) Do you know about how many needle sticks you had in the area you had the therapy on?

I have mixed feelings about this; I'm willing to try anything, but my elbows are hurting so much, I'm afraid of how much more they will hurt while getting the injections and then afterwards before it starts getting better.

Thanks for any input.

Karen
  2. dolly79

dolly79 New Member

Sorry it has taken me so long to reply but this is the first time I've been on here for over a week. I had it done on the 12th of March and I have to admit the pain was pretty bad but I think the pain is dependent on how badly inflamed your joints are to begin with. The injections are irritating the already inflamed areas so that your body will heal itself. I had this done several years ago and it did not hurt me as much as it did this time. The doctor told me as he was giving me the injections that if it is hurting bad then we are hitting the right spots.

I had 24 injections in my lower back, hips, and buttocks, as well as one in my knee. He is just addressing my back at this time. I don't know whether your doctor will give you this many or not. I had not had this many at one time before but I am going to a new doctor.

I have not ever used the anesthetizing cream but I did use the Lidocaine patches afterwards which gave me minimal relief. The pain is like a deep ache and my doctor gave me Oxycodone for pain relief which gave me almost immediate relief. You definitely need to get something for pain from the doctor because you can't take Ibuprofen. This type of medication interferes with the process which the prolotherapy sets up in your body.

I was unable to work for the next two days so next time I am going to try to set it up for a Friday but I will definitely go back. I am still sore and hurt more at night after I've worked all day but I am moving on.I'm telling you that this has worked miracles for me in the past and has lasted up to three years with about three to four sessions to complete the therapy.I can't afford not to do this. I don't want to quit my job and want to be able to exercise again.

I hope this answers your questions and if you have any more feel free to ask. Good luck and I hope that this will be the answer for your problems.

Angela

3. KayL

KayL New Member

for replying!! This is exactly what I wanted to know from someone who's had it recently. I am already on Lortab 10/500's, 2 to 4 times a day. I've been on that since maybe November, after being on the 5/500's. I'm not getting a whole heck of a lot of pain relief from them these days.

I got the anesthetizing cream to use, and I WILL use it. Apparently my doc is going to inject in quite a few spots, he told me to put the cream on an area beginning several inches below my elbows all the way to several inches above them.

They hurt like hell all the time now as it as, and if that's any indication, it may be pretty awful for me actually getting the injections. I am scheduled on a Tuesday! I tried to get the appointment changed to the Friday before, or the following Friday, and there were no openings. I'm worried about that because I HAVE to go to work on Wednesay, Thursday and Friday of that week. I guess I'll just do the best I can.

Please, keep me posted on your progress. I really am interested in knowing about the effects of this. I *hope* I get good results.

Thanks again, so much!

Karen