Klutzo--What BP Med?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by karen2002, Oct 24, 2002.

1. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

What med are you taking for High BP, that may help w/ FM, too? Saw your post below...on another topic. I am thinking of changing..my med, as its not working as well..as it once did.
    Karen
    "I was given expensive blood pressure lowering drugs that almost killed me. After reading some research, I had my doctor put me on an old drug that also calms the sympathetic nervous system, so it should help FMS. It is the only one I've been able to tolerate and it costs me only $9 for a 3 month supply!"
  2. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

What med are you taking for High BP, that may help w/ FM, too? Saw your post below...on another topic. I am thinking of changing..my med, as its not working as well..as it once did.
    Karen
    "I was given expensive blood pressure lowering drugs that almost killed me. After reading some research, I had my doctor put me on an old drug that also calms the sympathetic nervous system, so it should help FMS. It is the only one I've been able to tolerate and it costs me only $9 for a 3 month supply!"
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I've been after my doc for months bacause my B/P has been in the high/normal, along with rising cholesterol and trigliceride levels and a bad ratio between good and bad cholesterol. I've also gained weight.

My B/P was consistently in the 140's over 80's. When stressed, it was in the 150's over 90's.

Since being on the very-low-carb/high-protein diet, my B/P is consistently in the low teens over 60's in the morning. Later in the day, it's around 120/70. This was accomplished within 8 days of changing my diet. So far, I have lost 19 pounds.

I'm not sure eliminating all things made with flour, sugar in all it's forms, white rice and white potatoes would reduce everyone's B/P, but it's worth a shot.

Love, Mikie
  4. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

In addition to high BP, my bad cholesterol, is high, and my good way to low. I, too have had a gain in weight. I have contemplated the diet you are on....as well, but I have major concerns with my kidneys. Do you know if this type of diet may add to stress on kidneys?
    Karen
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

If you go into a condition called ketosis, a high protein diet like the Atkins Diet can be hard on the kidneys. I am using the Suzanne Somers Diet which allows fruit if eaten separately. I can also have all the veggies I want as long as I stay away from the high starch veggies like carrots, corn, peas, and beans. I eat a lot of zuccini, yellow squash, red onions, tomatoes (I know, they are actually fruits), broccli, and colliflower (sp?) along with my proteins, eggs, cheese, fish, fowl, and red meat.

After I reach my targeted weight, I can add a little bread, pasta, or Somers' desserts on occasion. It's a pretty easy diet to stay on. When Mom was alive, I made some of Somers' recipes from her books and they were yummy. With just me now, I usually just fix something I know is allowed without going to the trouble to make any of the recipes.

Love, Mikie
  6. klutzo

klutzo New Member

While I am also on a High protein, low carb diet like Mikie, and I have lost weight, it has not touched my high blood pressure. All adults on both sides of my family have/had a high BP though they don't have FMS and they are all skinny, so I think it is genetic in my case.
    The drug I take is Catapres. The generic name is Clonidine HCL. I take the lowest dose which is 0.1 mgs., but I take it 3 times a day so I don't have any ups and downs. It also comes in a sustained release patch, but that is a lot more expensive and many react to the patch. I still have my "hot reactions", when my BP soars if I get really angry (as high as 200/110 even with medication!). The rest of the time it stays between 110/70 and 140/80. I may be increasing the dosage soon if the weight I've lost hasn't helped lower it at all. My BP before treatment was 150/90 all the time except in the early morning, and sometimes much higher in the evening.Good luck, Klutzo