Knee Dislocation Question

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dhcpolwnk, Oct 29, 2002.

1. dhcpolwnk

dhcpolwnk New Member

I've noticed several messages recently about knee problems and, more particularly, about knee "popping." I'm not quite sure this is relevant, but *many* years ago, when I was about 16, something happened with my knee that sounds very similar.

I was a bit of a tomboy, and I was shooting baskets in our backyard. I took a jump shot--not an authentic jump shot, where you hang in the air (I never could do that!), but one where I jumped up as I took the shot. When I landed, at first my legs felt solid, like all the other times I'd taken that shot. But a second or so later, it felt as though my kneecap came out of the socket and shifted to one side--kind of dislocated. My knee buckled, and I fell. I couldn't straighten out the leg myself or get myself back into the house without help.

With a little massage from my Dad, I was able to unbend my leg, but for years, the knee would periodically start to ache. I used to wear an Ace bandage around the knee from time to time. Then, a few years later, a similar ache started in my *other* knee (the one where the kneecap *hadn't* dislocated--assuming that's what actually happened).

I never did get a satisfactory explanation of what happened. After I was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis, I asked several neurologists about this, but they said it didn't sound like MS. Now, after reading about knee problems on this board, I'm beginning to wonder whether it could have been an early manifestation of FM, even though I was only diagnosed about 6 weeks ago.

I suppose it really doesn't matter much, but the "knee messages" on this board are as close as I've come to seeing a description of what I went through. Maybe I've had FM longer than I thought, and I wasn't just a wimp. (Then again, maybe I really *was* a wimp, and I'm looking for excuses! <grin>)

Any thoughts about whether my "basketball injury" might have been somehow related to fibro?

--Laura R.M.
  2. dhcpolwnk

dhcpolwnk New Member

I've noticed several messages recently about knee problems and, more particularly, about knee "popping." I'm not quite sure this is relevant, but *many* years ago, when I was about 16, something happened with my knee that sounds very similar.

I was a bit of a tomboy, and I was shooting baskets in our backyard. I took a jump shot--not an authentic jump shot, where you hang in the air (I never could do that!), but one where I jumped up as I took the shot. When I landed, at first my legs felt solid, like all the other times I'd taken that shot. But a second or so later, it felt as though my kneecap came out of the socket and shifted to one side--kind of dislocated. My knee buckled, and I fell. I couldn't straighten out the leg myself or get myself back into the house without help.

With a little massage from my Dad, I was able to unbend my leg, but for years, the knee would periodically start to ache. I used to wear an Ace bandage around the knee from time to time. Then, a few years later, a similar ache started in my *other* knee (the one where the kneecap *hadn't* dislocated--assuming that's what actually happened).

I never did get a satisfactory explanation of what happened. After I was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis, I asked several neurologists about this, but they said it didn't sound like MS. Now, after reading about knee problems on this board, I'm beginning to wonder whether it could have been an early manifestation of FM, even though I was only diagnosed about 6 weeks ago.

I suppose it really doesn't matter much, but the "knee messages" on this board are as close as I've come to seeing a description of what I went through. Maybe I've had FM longer than I thought, and I wasn't just a wimp. (Then again, maybe I really *was* a wimp, and I'm looking for excuses! <grin>)

Any thoughts about whether my "basketball injury" might have been somehow related to fibro?

--Laura R.M.
  3. klutzo

klutzo New Member

At age 14,, I had mono and strep throat and tonsilitis, and all my joints started dislocating when I bent them. I could not sit crosslegged because my knees would go out. It was so painful, and someone had to help me put them back in. Eventually, I had my tonsils removed and the surgeon said he was sure I'd really had Rheumatic fever. My other joints were ok, but my knees never went back to normal size and I had to have surgery in at age 34 because they still dislocated every once in awhile. I have had "teddy bear legs" ever since this illness,and I still avoid sitting crosslegged, even after the surgery. Don't know how this relates to what you had. Have you ever been evaluated by a physical therapist to see if you have hypermobile joints? That is something else I have that I didn't know about and it is a predisposing factor for Fibro.
    Klutzo