Knee Joint Replacement with Fibromyalgia

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by Saturn-2000, Nov 2, 2006.

1. Saturn-2000

Saturn-2000 New Member

Is there anyone with Fibro who just had a total knee replacement?
  2. Susi-di

Susi-di New Member

Hi, I haven't had knee replacement, but I sure do have knee pain from FM and I was wondering if it could lead to something like that, except fibro is more in the muscles & tendons surrounding the joints, so do you have other problems with your knees? susi-di
  3. kriket

kriket New Member

I have not yet, but afraid I'm headed that way. I have knee-cap disease. That's where your knees slide out of place. The pain from this is unreal. It comes and goes. Sooner or later, I'm gonna have to have something done with them.

Kriket
  4. joyfully

joyfully New Member

Consider getting tested for nickel allergy before doing a knee replacement. There is nickel in those alloys.
  5. blueski31717

blueski31717 New Member

Had lap done last year and he scraped it but said in a few years I will have to have total..
  6. minkanyrose

minkanyrose New Member

someone who has had it done with this DD.

Bad joints run in family. Graqndma had both knees and both hips replaced.2 aunts and 3 uncles knees replaced. mom and brother knees.

my mom and brother keep pushing me to get it done but I am so afraid of the recovery. they took 3 months to get totally mobile again and the theropy they had to go through I am so scared it will kill me,

I think I put it off because I know what to deal with now and the surgery of not knowing stops me.

hope you get the answers you are looking for and you fell better,

7. Saturn-2000

Saturn-2000 New Member

I had my knee replacement on July 10th and am having all kinds of problems now. I was looking for someone who had it done in order to find out if they are having the same problems that I am having. My therapist (who I have been going to since July 30th) is very discouraged because he doesn't know what else to do. My range of motion is not coming back because I can't tolerate the pain because of the pain point on the inside of my knee. Before you have it done, please make your surgeon aware of your Fibro and have him do some research to find out if you will get full range of motion back. I am not sure if the Fibro is causing my range of motion to be limited but I suspect that that is what it is. If I had known that there was a possiblitiy of the Fibro affecting my return to total health, I would not have had it done. I would have lived with the knee pain.
  8. Saturn-2000

Saturn-2000 New Member

I had my knee replacement on July 10th and am having all kinds of problems. Because of the pain point on the inside of the knee it is almost impossible for me to tolerate the pain of the therapist bending my knee to allow me to get my range of motion back. I think I am going to be left very limited on returning to full use of my knee because of it. Words of advice. PLEASE make sure you make your surgeon aware of you having Fibro and have him do some research on it in order to see if you will get full ROM back. I didn't think of it and now I am paying the price.
  9. cma331

cma331 New Member

Hello Room!;

I am sooo thankful this subject was brought up.

I have FM/Arthritis/ osteoarthritis/ in both knees. I can barely walk anymore.

I am too afraid of the surgrey to even think about it. I was in Rehab a few times these past 2 years; for other probs.............and was aghast at the screaming that went on by the knee replacement patients.

One was even a cop!!

I am in my 60's ; and also refuse to start using a wheelchair. Its to soon!!

I need help!! Would love to discuss further with any of you that would like to.

For the first time ; I went on Wednesday for Trigger point injections in both knees. The doc used Lidocaine and Kenalog. He said he didn't even give me a childs dose; he gave me an infants dose; to try it.

The piercing pain is eased.......he said it takes about 3 days to kick in. I'll evaluate over the weekend. But i know the dosage was to small to do much.

Thanks for the subject; and listening to me.

Carole
  10. joyfully

joyfully New Member

I ended up talking to a person (a stranger) who had knee replacement. He told me some interesting information that I was totally unaware of.

he said there are good knee replacements and some that are not so good. That the insurance company tends to authorize the cheaper knee replacement parts (not surprised).

I don't know if you can request the better knee replacement and pay the difference?????

He said to REALLY do your homework and research all the information REALLY well before committing to the knee replacement.

The issue of nickel being in the metal came up with my pending knee replacement many years ago. Very quickly, my questions were being forwarded through the legal department of the replacement knee supplier. They didn't want to give me information about the % of people who reacted to the metal and required that the knee be surgically removed after the surgery had been performed. This scared me. I really pushed for answers. The only thing that they would tell me is that "yes" there were people who reacted to the metal and required the knee to be removed. AARGH!

I canceled my surgery the day before I was supposed to get the procedure.

Can you imagine---then you would have NO knee! My Dad had his knee replaced about 10 years ago, and he is still having trouble with it. The knee is always hot and swollen. I'll just use my electric mobility scooter thank you. I can walk a little and stand a little.

My present rheumatologist told me that as long as I'm satisfied with my quality of life, that I should not get the knee replacement even though my X rays show bone on bone.

There are some people who have knee replacement and recover beautifully.

I'm just not a gambler.
  11. sarahann61

sarahann61 New Member

I am having a Total Knee Replacement, Mon., I worked on a Orthopedic Surgical floor for years... And, I do have an idea, what I am in for... I have been treated for FMS , just never officially dx., it was called muscle involvement.

I haven't thoght about being allergic to it, and I am allergic to a lot of things........ Everyone that I know personally, did great.. But, through the years that I worked on the floors, we lost some of our pts., because of blood clots, or fatty embolus.. And, I know it is more likely to happen, with bone surgeries.

I had the Lab work done yesterday ,and was really hoping they would call, and postpone it for some reason.. I called today, everything was normal...yikes.... I hate to back out this late, since they couldn't schedule, anyone else.......

I would usually get a steroid injection, and I had the lubricant injection last year. And, I would go up on the prednisone.. This summer I went through an awful time with pitting edema, and CHF... I promised myself no more, and have stayed on 7mg. of Prednisone, although I have been in a flare for awhile now, and I can barely get around... I know I could come out worse from the surgery, but think I need to have faith, I will be better...

But, I may get up Mon. morning, and say "NO Way"....lol
  12. cma331

cma331 New Member

Sarahann........

I know you have thought and rethought this out.
    You seem to have so many doubts ; so close to the surgery.

I wouldn't worry about backing out; cause they couldn't fill your surgery time.........

Make sure you are doing what you really feel comfortable with.

Your letter touched me, cause we seem to be in about the same condition.

I'll go with the trigger point injections for as long as i can. My quality of life stinks......but in my opinion; if it isn't one thing it will be another.

Just my 2 cents.

Good luck to you.and i would love to know how you make out. You will be in my thoughts and prayers.
    Hugs; Carole
  13. munch1958

munch1958 Member

I had my left knee replaced in Feb, 2001. All of the cartilage in my knee was destroyed in a 1993 motor vehicle accident. My knee was crushed by the front bumper of a Blazer. That's when my long standing CF morphed into FM. It seems that any injury to any place on my body means long term PAIN!

I was in unbearable pain before the surgery. I was living on Oxycontin EVERY 8 HOURS + Percocet. I could barely stand long enough to wash dishes. I am not pain free but it's way better than it used to be. I have a better quality of life now.

Anesthesia is always a big problem for me. I had a bleeding time problem and could not get an epidural. Pain relief post surgery was a nightmare. I have a lot of drug allergies. If you are considering knee replacement surgery and you have fibro it's best to seek out a doctor who can address the issues PWCs face.

There are things I can't do like kneel on a hard floor or twist into some yoga positions. I'm about 95% better post knee replacement.
  14. sarahann61

sarahann61 New Member

I appreciate your post, and I am still scared, but am hoping that the outcome will be better, for me... I know I will always be living with pain, somewhere...

I was dx. with RA in 1991, but had the symptome of FMS years before then, and was being treated for arthritis, with the old anti-inflammatory meds, that were hard on my stomach... Was also given too many steroid injections, and went into cushings syndrome, with CHF.....

I have got to try to get better, without steroids... I know that the prednisone has helped, keep me mobile, but the price was severe osteoporosis, and other problems....

Thanks so much, for your prayers......................
  15. mevy

mevy New Member

HI Saturn-2000
    I will be having TKR done Nov 14. Then 6-8 weeks later I do the other one. I have FM/CFS/MPS, Osteo-arthritis, RA, Asthma, Thyroid Issues, & more. I'm scared to death for surgery-but what do u do when u can barely move and the pain is SO OUT OF CONTROL? I am bone on bone with knees popping out of place constantly. Can't takae anymore!!!!

My Ortho-surgeon told me up front that I should look at an extra 2 weeks to heal with the FM and that due to the stress and pain of surgery it is possible to have a flare of the FM. I figure I will have the BIG MEDS for pain control so hopefully I can handle it.

My Hubby had both of his knees done at the same time 4 years ago by the same surgeon. He went through HE-- doing both together. I AIN"T doing that. He is a whole new person. Doing things again. The worst is kneeling on the hard floors. I'll keep u posted as I can,

Hope this is some help.
    Mevy
  16. Jana1

Jana1 New Member

This is a timely topic for me. I didn't realize so many others had the same issues with knees.

I hope this topic doesn't go away for awhile as already so many helpful information has been added.

Sarahann, a prayer for you tomorrow, please keep us posted on your progress when you are able. I think you will have a wonderful improvemment!

Jana1
  17. minkanyrose

minkanyrose New Member

I see where there is metel and never even gave that a thought I can't wear earrings or some rings because of the allergic reaction I get even some watches flare me up something terrible.

can they test you to see if you will have a reaction to the metal before hand?
  18. rockgor

rockgor Active Member

Got in touch w/ an old college friend this year. We are in our 60s.

He had a knee replacement. Later he had a root canal. The dentist did not do the necessary prophalaxis and a terrible infection developed in the knee. Eventually amputation of the entire leg.

I asked my dentist about this. He agreed. A serious risk for people w/ any kind of artificial joint or hardware in the body.
  19. patches25

patches25 New Member

I have known people with knee replacements, some okay, others not. But one thing that I have been looking at for joints is hyaluronic acid. I read about that on Remedy find site and then looked it up. Don't have experience with it but maybe someone here does. I don't know if Prohealth carries Synthovial SEVEN. Wish you all well. E.
  20. Aberlaine

Aberlaine Member

I'm scheduled for a knee revision on Tuesday, December 5th. I had a TKR in 1999 and have had instability ever since because the spacer used was too small.

I've since learned that I have fibromyalgia and may have anesthesia issues. I've found an article here that gives the cautions about surgery for people with fibromyalgia.

Wondering if anyone has any other suggestions for me to talk to my surgeon or anesthesiologist about.

Nancy