Knee pain

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kellygirl, Feb 17, 2011.

1. kellygirl

kellygirl Member

It's the pain associated with the knee cap and on the sides and of the knee. What to do about it? I hate when the knee cap "catches". I am normal size but did very physical work in the past.

How do you treat knee pain at home? I want to be able to be active this summer.

2. sassy2

sassy2 New Member

Hi, Kelly, I have been having the same problems with my knee. It has gotten worse this past year. Finally had an MRI done, and doctor says it is so bad I need a complete knee replacement. I am going to wait as long as possible because I am told it takes a long time to fully heal. Good Luck.
  3. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

Have you seen a Dr.? Is there anything physically going on with your knee that needs medical attention?

IF NOT, for the actual pain, I have to wrap my knee in a heating pad. That is just temporary relief though.

I'd see if there was something going on with your knee if you haven't already or if it's just FM knee pain.

4. kellygirl

kellygirl Member

I was working, with CFS/FMS/MPD and arthritis. I was active. Had knee surgery with workman's comp., and could not get out of bed with head to toe pain.

I am still recovering 3 years later and received my SS disability.

I also had an incident at the dentist with novacaine, nearly killed me.

I didn't believe all of this but now have experienced it personally. Dr. Cheney wrote a paper on this also.

I will share it as soon as I read it more thoroughly, I saved it.
  5. kellygirl

kellygirl Member

I forgot to mention the surgery was on the right knee, now the left kneecap is "catching". I made an appt. with the doctor, just to see what's going on.

I also have to get my iron levels re-checked, they were down.
  6. kellygirl

kellygirl Member
  7. kellygirl

kellygirl Member

That is a good question and one I'll ask if it should ever come to that.
  8. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

Oh Kelly, You'll have to tell me about your experience w/novacaine! Sounds terrible!!!

If it's your other knee, you're obviously having knee issues, not FM pain - since it's catching and not just painful. I'm glad you're seeing a Dr.

My Dad just had a knee replacement. He had hip replacement almost two years ago. That recovery was a piece of cake compared to knee replacement recovery. He was told that upfront of course. He's just such an active person - excellent health- and this has been tough on him. He's working like crazy to help his recovery. Exercises his knee up to 2 hrs per day.

I'll have to ask him if he had a spinal or general. I do know that his heart rate dropped to 33 right after surgery. The anesthesia does not agree with him at all.

He doesn't "do" drugs at all. They put a block in his knee for pain relief, but as it started to wear off the pain was getting pretty bad. We (family, nurses) told him that talking a pain pill was smarter than waiting til the pain was really bad. He agreed, the tough ol' guy.

One 5/500 Vicodin - 15 minutes later as it kicked in and WHOA.... he had the worse reaction. Scared the living crap out of us. He lost all mental abilities, starts slurring, mumbling, hands are flapping, heart rate dropped. Never saw anything like that before.
    (I can't remember what they ended up giving him before he checked out- a med you can only take for 5 days MAX. Not a regular narcotic.)
    Anyway after his reaction to the Vicodin...Big notes in his chart and computer about his reaction.............

2 days later in the hospital - pain is bad. Different nurse comes in and says "Do you want a Vicodin?"

Scary isn't it?

Sorry about the tangent....
  9. kellygirl

kellygirl Member

I realize it was my fault, too, that I allowed my self to be manipulated.

I went to the dentist for a filling in my back molar. She couldn't get it numbed so she just kept injecting into the same spot about 6 - 7 times! I lived right up the street and left the office, drove up the street and felt funny. Then, my heart started racing out of my chest and I had tremors. I was told later when your heart races that way, it's not able to carry blood through the body and I could've passed out with my heart stopping.

I went back and I allowed them to convince me I created my own panic attack! I allowed them to do it to me again!!! Same reaction, I tried to call on my speaker phone and they didn't know what to say to me. I just kept waling and walking hoping it would all be over.

It had to get through my system.

I told my doctor and he was so angry he showed me the PDR, the drug book and the side effects I went through.

Since then, I found a doctor that knew my experience and when he had to use novacaine as a last resort, he would just give me a little and sit with me til my heart stopped racing. I had about 7 onlays done by him.

So, be forewarned. Between the dentist and the flare-up from anesthesia, it is all true what can happen to us living with CFS/FMS.
  10. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

I had a bad reaction to novacaine years ago and my dentist has used carbocaine since then. I haven't had any trouble with this one. It takes a little more of it and hurts a little more to inject because it's thicker. At least that's what my dentist says. There's another one I can take also and I believe it's xylocaine (sp?) or something like that. I'm going to look it up online. Also, he uses the one without epinephrine. GB66
    [This Message was Edited on 02/21/2011]
  11. carla16

carla16 New Member

Hi Kelly,
    I have been experiencing the same thing for about 3 weeks. Had an mri and have torn meniscus. Having an arthroscopy on March 3rd. I am hoping for the best.
  12. kellygirl

kellygirl Member

2 capsules a day....and to do the one exercise that we do in the over-50 yoga class, extending the leg and flexing the foot to strengthen the upper leg muscle to help align the kneecap.

My doctor knows how I am with meds....I like to try natural therapies first.
  13. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I've had partial meniscectomies on both knees at different times. Both were done laproscopically under general anesthesia. I have one of the best orthos in SW FL. I walked out of the surgical center both times. This last one took longer, months, to finally get back to normal. Now, both knees feel great but I don't do much to strain them any more. I found that wearing Sketchers when I worked helped a lot. I really don't ever want to have to have a replacement.

That exercise where you sit on the floor, with legs extended, and try to push the knee backwards into the floor is one of the best to relieve the knees and it's part of the post-surgical physical rehab. Once you get the hang of it, you can even do it standing up. BTW, I was very active all my life and I think us Jockettes have more problems with our knees.

Good luck with the knee. Let us know how it goes.

Love, Mikie
  14. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

Hi Kellygirl - Have you been checked for arthritis? I've just recently developed knee problems and I have a feeling it is probably osteoarthritis. My mom has it and it tends to run in families. One of the worst things for it is not exercising so I'm going to have to forget about the CFS and work on the knee. The last thing I want is to be is crippled because of bad knees.

You might want to get your doctor to do an x-ray. The knee catching is definitely a symptom of arthritis. I'm getting an x-ray done the next time I'm in at the docs.
    [This Message was Edited on 02/25/2011]
  15. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Can help determine whether it's torn soft tissue, like the meniscus or a tendon. OA can often exist along with other problems of the knee. An x-ray can show OA. BTW, I've had the Synvisc injections in my knees and it really helped with the OA both before and after the surgery.

Love, Mikie
  16. gknee

gknee New Member

Sassy a knee replacement is big surgery and it is a painful and long rehab. I had one last summer. It was the best thing I ever have done. I had arthritis in my knees for 34 years. I was having symptoms at 17 years old. I finally had it done at 50 years old. The drs kept encouraging me to wait as long as possible. I could barely walk. I was tired of the cane.

I feel great now. I am so glad I had it done. I will not hesitate to have my other knee done. It's worth my quality of life to put up with the knee surgery pain and rehab.