knee pain

Discussion in 'General Health & Wellness' started by clubq, Sep 26, 2008.

1. clubq

clubq New Member

I had arthroscopic surgery on my right knee 6/26 and the really bad pain went away. However now my thigh above my knee is swollen. The surgeon drew fluid off the knee about a month ago and gave me a cortisone shot. But I am still having pain in the knee cap and the thigh is still swollen. The doctor tells me to call him in 2 or three weeks. He told me to take 3 Advil 3 times a day. The last time I called him he said to up the Advil to 4 three times a day. He says to take it with food. I am wondering if I will ever get rid of the pain and the swelling and the doctor doesnt seem to be very helful. He does not talk very much and when I try to ask him questions he just cuts me short. Do you think I should be seeing another doctor? Should I just go along with the pain and swelling and forget about ever getting total relief?
    I see a lot of people had the same problem but I am not used to being so helpless. I want to go for walks, do a day of shopping without having so much pain. I am doing exercises with a stationary bike which the doctor recommended .
    Anyone have an suggestions?
  2. klcooper

klcooper New Member

Hi,

unfortunately I've had both knees operated on too and your thigh shouldn't be swollen like that. Your leg will swell wiht walking, etc. but it shouldn't be a consistent thing, especially since June.

You do need a new Dr. He should be answering your questions - you're paying him, he's not doing you a favor.

I was told to put ice on my knees for the swelling for short period of time (no more than 10 mins.) and keep the leg elevated. You could try alternating ice and heat.

I'm sorry you're having problems and pain. Be careful of taking so much advil too, but please try to find another Doctor. Hope it gets better for you.
  3. clubq

clubq New Member

Thanks for the reply. I am going to see what other doctor will help me. I have tried the ice and it helps some but not much.
  4. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

I hope that you are undergoing physical therapy, as when my knee was operated on after an auto accident about 9 years ago, physical therapy was started almost immediately. I had a bad physical therapist the first time who babied the leg and the lymph gland was making the leg swell more and I was using a cane to get around and the surgeon was not pleased and wanted the therapist switched.

I changed physical therapists to one with more of a boot camp approach who trained in Sweden and he worked with accupressure too. He used accupressure to work on the lymph glands to get release of the fluid and then worked with me on a more solid workout of the knee. Much better and far more improvement and no cane.
  5. curlygirl77

curlygirl77 New Member

Emu Oil? I started using it for tendonitis in my elbow, and after years of pain: doctors, medications, acupuncture, physical therapy, someone gave me a sample of Emu Oil and it has saved me. I do not experience any more pain, just from re-applying it twice a day for 2 weeks. It has lots of other great uses as well. I use one from Cleure.. it is 100% certified organic.
  6. curlygirl77

curlygirl77 New Member

Emu Oil? I started using it for tendonitis in my elbow, and after years of pain: doctors, medications, acupuncture, physical therapy, someone gave me a sample of Emu Oil and it has saved me. I do not experience any more pain, just from re-applying it twice a day for 2 weeks. It has lots of other great uses as well. I use one from Cleure.. it is 100% certified organic.
  7. midnitestich

midnitestich New Member

I've both knees scoped. You shouldn't have that amount of swelling. I also was told to elevated and ice the knee. If it continually gives you a problem where you can't walk on it properly, you'll end up losing the muscle tone in your upper leg. That's what happened to me with the second knee I had done. Has the dr suggested PT? If he won't listen to you get a second opinion.
  8. lilaclover30

lilaclover30 New Member

and It went wrong. The Dr. said to lay on the bed on my stomach and let the leg and knee drop. Oh my, it hurt!!! Nothing seemed to go right. He said that was odd---had done 1400 and mine was the only xcomplaint. (yeh)

I ended up driving a 1009 mi. round trip 3 times and week for e weeks for therapy. And you know what? It is now 19 yrs. later and IO dreadfully need a new knee. But----DH has health problems and never encourages me to have it. I need to stay with him instead. Today8 I could barely walk.

Good Luck to you,

Gentle Hugs,

Lilac