Knee problems

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by MyLilSnooks, Oct 27, 2005.

1. MyLilSnooks

MyLilSnooks New Member

Anyone relate to this? I have osteoarthritis, fibromyalgia and osteoporosis. My knee was very painful, and the MD sent me to an ortho doc who did an MRI and it shows a torn miniscus....and they are scheduling surgery (arthroscopic). Anyone relate to this? Is it due to meds I am on....Lipitor, actonel, lexapro, vitamins, calcium with vitamin D....tylenol and advil as needed for pain (nothing helps).. Anyone else have knee problems and surgery like this??? Help please.....Carol
  2. JLH

JLH New Member

It is NOT due to any meds. Mine was extremely painful and I had to wait 5 months to get the surgery and at the same time do a lot of walking to visit my dad who was always in the hospital.

He was in the hospital for weeks at a time, at least once a month (with a terminal illness) and the walks from the parking garage over to the hospital and then to his room would just about kill me. That is when I purchased my first cane! And ... all during this time, I did not have one pain pill to take! However, I certainly did take a lot of Motrin!

Oh, and it has nothing to do with fibro either.

While the surgeon was repairing the miniscus cartlidge, he also scraped out a bunch of arthritis -- this is what he told my family.

Good luck with your surgery! It's not too bad! The first week home was the worst.
  3. MyLilSnooks

MyLilSnooks New Member

Thanks for answering me. I appreciate your help.
  4. emiltim

emiltim New Member

I've had 3 knee surgeries. The first was a lateral release (bad). The next 2 were for meniscus repairs...they went well. I had a local anesthesia, so I didn't get sick. They gave me nice 'sleepy drugs' first.; My last one was this past May. When I got home after the surgery, I was able to walk up my stairs with crutches. My mom came to help with the kids for a couple days. After 4 or 5 days, I didn't even need the crutches. I went back to work (mailman) after 2 weeks.

It is amazing what they can do these days!

I hope all goes well for you. Just be prepared for a lot of rehab exercises. -Julie