knee surgery crutches???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by reeny64tang, May 11, 2006.

1. reeny64tang

reeny64tang New Member

I am due to have knee surgery in less than 2 weeks. They say I have to be off of it for at least a month. Then I will be having PT for a long time.

They want me to use crutches after surgery, I will have a rigid brace on for the month, but my arms are always weak and so tender and achy, I am afraid that I can't do it. I told the dr. this, and she didn't respond,just gave me a funny look.

Anyone have any ideas? I work full time and will have to have someone drive me back & forth to work.
  2. I can't use crutches wither, try using a walker, it is so much easier. Especially the one with wheels. I have weak arms also. Good luck.
  3. kjfms

kjfms Member

...I agree with fibrobutterfly...a walker is the way to go. I had arthroscopic knee surgery several years ago. I am a klutz with crutches....so a walker was very nice.

My LIL (live in love) fixed a little basket on the front...so I would not have a lot of trouble carrying things when home alone...made a lot of noise...things clattering around...LOL

He also put a bell on it just to be cute...LOL He sure did regret doing that... ;) hee hee hee

Best of luck with your surgery,

Karen
  4. reeny64tang

reeny64tang New Member

Sounds like a walker it is.
    thanks
    Reeny
  5. cczub

cczub New Member

As a veteran of knee surgeries(4 scope and one open), not know what type of surgery you are having, if you have to go with "no weight bearing" for any period of time, I'd go with the crutches for that time frame then the walker... It'll be hard with the walker to not use one of your legs... Once you can put weight on the leg, then the walker will help you keep some of the pressure off your leg that is healing. Both the crutches and the walker will require some arm strenght. I'd recommend getting the crutches and practicing with them before the surgery.

Good luck,
    Chris
  6. Jackie41

Jackie41 Member

I think it depends on whether you are allowed to put any weight on the knee. If not, it would be hard since all your weight would be on your arms. If you are allowed partial weight bearing, then you can probably manage.

I have some experience with this since I have been on crutches for almost 5 years, part time for 3 years and full time for the past 2, and I walk a lot, sometimes up to 2 miles per day, for exercise. There are some differences in my situation though. I use crutches for fibromyalgia, not because of surgery or an accident. I have mild weakness in my legs, sometimes with balance problems, and I use the crutches mainly for security. This means I don't have to put much weight on the crutches unless I'm in a bad flare. Plus I am only 32 and fairly fit. I only weigh about 120 lbs so it isn't that hard on my arms. I use the forearm crutches which are also easier on the shoulders. So for me crutches are pretty easy.

However, I did have a flare last year where my legs were so weak that I couldn't walk without the crutches if I wanted to for about 3 weeks. I had to lean heavily on the crutches and practically drag my feet across the floor. This was quite hard on my arms and I was pretty much housebound. Fortunately it didn't last very long.

Don't know if this helps.

Good luck.

Jackie
  7. janieb

janieb New Member

and found that my balance is just not good enough for crutches; in fact, I fell. This was for a broken kneecap. I then got a walker, bought the basket, and the "grabber" and got along fine. It's amazing what you can do, even around the house when you have to.

I was working at the time and since I had a five speed, I had to borrow my brothers big boat and get the walker in the back by hopping around.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck to you.

janieb