Knitting question

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by elliespad, Dec 20, 2006.

1. elliespad

elliespad Member

Daughter just took up knitting a couple weeks ago. I call her a knitwhit. Anywho, I'm wanting to get her a basket or something to keep her knitting in. Here's the hard part. It has to be COOL. And I don't have strength to go trucking through 10 stores to find the PERFECT hip, cool, funky, earthy knitting basket. So, has anyone seen or bought one that fits that description.
  2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

the object in question can only be determined to be suitable by the user in question, namely, your daughter.

But you are a good mom for wanting to try.
  3. connieaag

connieaag New Member

They have neat canvas type carriers in lime green, browns, bright pinks, etc. They have sections and can be used for any types of crafts. Actually a gift card so she can bu more yarn would go well in it too!

Knitting is contagious :)

4. elliespad

elliespad Member

Rock, Are you saying I wouldn't know cool if I saw it? Grrrrr.

Carla - Yeah, stainless is very chic. Hmmm. And yes, I'm pretty good with a sewing machine, BUT, I killed mine making a slipcover and haven't gotten it fixed :(

Connie - No Michaels near me. Tried Joanns and AC Moore, had stuff, nothing cool.

I'm pretty dead, been trying to do too much. I think I'll abandon that idea. But thanks all.
    [This Message was Edited on 12/20/2006]
  5. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

I am saying different people have different opinions. Haha

Thus, some people might think your remark or my remark funny and others find them objectionable.

You have heard me speak of my dysfunctional family. My sister and younger brother interpret almost any remark as an attack. My other brother is very relaxed and finds life far less stressful

It is well-known, however, that anytime one makes at attempt at humor. somebody is going to be offended.

On reading this over, I see it sounds like I might be offended myself. Nothing could be farther from the truth. And of course we, being old friends, already know that.

I asked Gordon, an expert knitter, what he would recommend. He said, Pattern Works has everything any knitter could possible want.

He also said, your daughter could do like I do. Use a plastic grocery bag; they're pretty funky!
  6. elliespad

elliespad Member

YOU CRACK ME UP. And yes, I always get and appreciate your humor. It's my way to read and say most things with sarcasm so, I may very well make light of most things meant more seriously. i dunno. I dunno a LOT about a LOT of things.

In case anyone is wondering what I think would be a COOL knitting tote, if you go to ebay and type in "felted knitting basket" there is one I like for her. But, the auction is for the pattern, not the tote itself. So, if anyone has seen something like this, this is something she would like, something earthy, funky.
  7. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

For a long time I used a tall cookie tin that had handles for my knitting and needles. I did see some nice totes in TJ Max, they were intended for something else, beach bags I think, but I thought they were nice. Big Lots have some canvas totes you can slot photos into the side to personalize. BUT here is my suggestion. Buy a pattern and some yarn for Knitted totes so she can knit her own.

I just finished a sweater for Danny. I usually make a sweater in a week or so, but my hands have been so bad of late it took me almost a YEAR to finish it. I now have to knit by balancing one needle on my knee, and I like to knit.

Rockgor: The friend I had for many years who has just for the umpteenth time taken offense at some comment I made must be one of your relatives. For years she is either all over us or cuts us off as we said something she did not like-you know MAJOR misdemeanor stuff, like "I prefer a van to a car"-so you have mt great sympathies. This time, instead of trying to sweettalk her around I decided enuff was enuff, and she needs to get over herself. I once complimented her daughter on how lovely she looked and this apparently was also "a major infraction", making a personal comment and the daughter took as m uch offense as the mom.

I always say this: If all the things I do and have been don't l;et you know I love you and care for you, then I cannot help it if you take something you MUST have known was a compliment, badly.

Happy Gordon too!

Love Anniecrom