knock on wood , I never get sick,Do you?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by carebelle, Nov 5, 2006.

1. carebelle

carebelle New Member

I hardly ever really get sick I think most of the times I'm sick its part of this DD. I do not get bad colds but I do get achie flu feelings from this D all the time.

I do have back problems but it probably is my weight .

If you took away all the symtoms of CFS/FM I would probably feel really good.Isnt that weird????????
    Maybe thats what makes this DD so hard to accept.If I wasnt so tired ALL the time and if I didnt Have Pain ALL the time I guess I'd be Healthy.
    How many of you think the same thing?Take away all your symtoms from this DD and whats left?

2. mindbender

mindbender New Member

I haven't gotten sick in the last 5 yrs. That was before the onset of this DD.

I used to feel guilty for it. Watching evreryone else around me getting sick, and me staying clear so I could keep up with my record.

Now I believe it was this DD. It had already robbed me of illness, and everything else normal. I was ill 24/7, but no I didn't get sick anymore.

Sad that it's not the same for all of us.

Dan
  3. Empower

Empower New Member

I was not sick the first 5 years that a got DD

Then the 6th year, I started to get bad colds and would be down for 2 weeks

This is really strange to me
  4. Kathleen12

Kathleen12 New Member

In spite of having T1 Diabetes and CFS, I could not get sick if I tried! I thought that having those two would SURELY increase my chances of colds, flue, viruses, etc. Like everyone else, I'm knocking on wood. Strange isn't it?
  5. happycanuk

happycanuk New Member

I don't get sick very often. If I do get something, it is StrepThroat. I used to go to the Dr. once a year for a prescription to be filled, and, although I have OA,FM and AF I still consider myself pretty healthy.
  6. mindbender

mindbender New Member

mabye I'm more careful now.

Dan
  7. wish_to_be_healthy

wish_to_be_healthy New Member

And there seems to be no rhyme of reason to it...

After I had small children...all bets were off...got everything they did, and worse.

Suz
  8. mindbender

mindbender New Member

You're up. you seem to be having an easier go at it.

No?
  9. Gothbubbles

Gothbubbles New Member

I never seem to get sick either. No colds, or anything like that for years it seems. Although my memory is bad, so maybe I just forgot?

It's possible that our bodies are busy fighting viruses, and we stil get sick, but our bodies don't fight them. Symptoms are usually caused by our bodies fighting germs.
  10. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

I haven't had a cold or flu since 92. I think I posted something about this not too long ago. It was something like this. It's really strange why we don't get sick like some people do; with colds, bronchitis, flu, virus, etc.

I do hope you really knocked on a piece of wood, carebelle.

BlueSky555
  11. forfink

forfink New Member

It's funny how those of us that have fibo and feel so bad can be so healthy...otherwise.

I agree, my body is in such great health, wonderful bp, wonderful cholesterol, bloodwork comes back incredible. So how frustrating......I should be climbing mountains. I try to tell myself, be thankful for what I DO have. Gets frustrating though, sure you agree?
  12. bigmama2

bigmama2 New Member

When I was a normal, I would get colds, flu, stomach bug , but now with cfs, I never do. Of course I don't ' enjoy having a cold etc, but it seems wierd! My dr said something about my immune system being upregulated. I think there is sosmething to all of this.
  13. Redwillow

Redwillow New Member

I rarely get sick either (making me nervous I will jinx myself) but I thought it was because I am isolated so much. Stay at home to keep the flares away.

My best advice is stay away from doctor's offices! You walk into a doctor's waiting room and you might as well take an order of flu to go..... with all the sickies there! lol

hugs Redwillow
  14. julieisfree05

julieisfree05 New Member

There's a lot of research that shows many of us have "overactive" immune systems (and the over-production of cytokines can cause some of our symptoms).

I caught EVERYTHING for the first few years that I was sick with CFS - when the immune system is usually "crashing".

After that, it rebounded into overdrive and I NEVER caught anything.

Now that I'm well, I occasionally pick up a bug, just like I did before the CFS/FM started.

- julie (is free!)
  15. carebelle

carebelle New Member

julie are you also saying you are well from FM/CFS ?
    redwillow I guess we could be less sick if we are at home more .
  16. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

I used to think my faulty immune system was so watchful that it caught invaders before they got inside the castle walls.

Now I think that maybe my body is so overrun with viruses already that when a few more (e.g. fromm colds or flus) pop in, my body doesn't even bother to fight back (and create symptoms). Was it Bubbles (name?) above who said something like that?

If so, that could be part of the reason I feel worse sometimes "for no reason." The cold/whatever germs invade and make me feel worse, but my body doesn't bother to go to the trouble to rid itself from them (e.g. by producing germ-laden phlegm).

A very sad thought indeed.....