Knots and pain in calves!! Anyone else?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by kellyrd, Sep 23, 2005.

1. kellyrd

kellyrd New Member

Hello,
    I was wondering if the knots that I'm feeling in my calves are all part of fibromyalgia. I didn't have them when I saw my doctor this week (when he diagnosed me), so I forgot to ask him. I can't believe the pain I have been having since having my baby 4 months ago. Did anyone else experience crazy pain a little after giving birth? I was horribly stiff during the pregancy and didn't know what was wrong with me. Felt great right after, now I'm hurting terribly and have these crazy knots in my legs? Can anyone relate? Thanks
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

3. Flaming

Flaming New Member

Kellyrd - may possibly be signs of dehydration. Drink extra water and see if that helps.
  4. rileyearl

rileyearl New Member

Hi Kelly,

Congratulations on the new baby! I hope your doctor was able to give you something to help with the pain.

The pain I have is primarily in my legs. Some days it's in the calves, some days it's thighs and hips. Some days it's my whole legs. I also get some pain in my upper body, but it is pretty minimal compared to my legs. I take between 1 and 3 hydrocodone a day to help with the pain.

You might try a bath with 3 cups of epsom salts and 3 bottles of hydrogen peroxide. It really takes the pain away. Best to do right before you go to bed because you will be really tired after.

Also, gentle massage helps me.

Wishing you well!

Francie
  5. PVLady

PVLady New Member

Do you think you could have a calcium deficiency? After being diagnosed with gastric reflux I started taking alot of Tums (in addition to Prevacid). Tums have alot of calcium.

I noticed my nails that used to be very thin and brittle became much better - also my muscle pain is better.

You might also try a calcium/magnesium supplement. That is very good for the muscles. Also, there is a supplement on this site with calcium and magnesium - I believe it is ZMA.

6. kellyrd

kellyrd New Member

thanks for the help. i started to take trazadone to help me sleep and it really helped my muscles, too oddly enough. I also took an antinflammatory (Mobic) and that helped, too. I do drink tons of water (I have interstitial cystitis) so I'm sure it's not a dehydration issue. I do think I might try the calcium/mag approach. A friend of mine just told me about a massage therapist that takes insurance. I'm think I might give that a try. It's just weird to me how this really kicked up after having my baby and after going through some MAJOR post partum depression.
  7. shell3

shell3 New Member

dear kellyrd,i ,too, have awfully painful legs.more so than the rest of my body.my calves feel like knots, also.i think fibro pain comes and goes in different parts of the body.today my legs tommorow some place else.it is so hard to plan anything because you never know how you will feel from day to day.good luck to you . congrats on your new baby shell
  8. MtnDews

MtnDews New Member

Sometimes that kind of pain could be the result of a blood clot. Especially if it's just in one leg and that leg is swollen. Might want to call the doctor just to make sure - it never hurts to call. Heat seems to help me some with FM pains and it can't hurt a clot. Good luck
    H
  9. Shadowsfire

Shadowsfire New Member

I have very sore legs from the knees down. I have knots in my muscles on the top of my upper arms and tonight I noticed some on the underneath of my arms also. Kinda weird. They feel like bruises almost when I massage them. I'm going to have to point them out to my Dr.
  10. JimB

JimB New Member

****** YOU CAN STOP IT IMMEDIATELY! ******
    JUST..
    Bend your Foot Upward -all the way- (toes pointing up)
    and hold it that way for a few minutes or so.

I used to get them badly.
    The Pain,cramps and knots that tightened as hard as a rock(I was afraid my calf would burst)as I was yelling in pain...
    When I tried bending my foot ... It Stopped Immediatly.
    EVERY TIME!

Thought I'd help it even more by rubbing it. Nope! .. that causes soreness the rest of the day.
    Just keep it warm instead.

For some reason I don't get them anymore. But at least I'm not afraid of getting them now.

POST TO ME IF THIS HELPS ANYONE.
    I'm curious.
    Jim
    [This Message was Edited on 09/28/2005]
  11. Grailgoddess

Grailgoddess New Member

Congratulations on your baby!

Yes - I have the same knots & pain you describe, and it's intolerable some nights, better others, forgettable others. I've taken Vicodin & Flexeril for them, but I've also found that keeping my magnesium & iron up keep them away. It wasn't until my boyfriend read an article suggesting the iron that I was really able to deal with them.

Best success to you! Hugs! a sante!
  12. kellygirl

kellygirl Member

I have been woke up with a cramp in the calf of the leg. It is horrible! I just roll around screaming into my pillow and try to fall asleep. It eventually eases. I try to drink enough water, so I don't know what causes it.
  13. Dee50

Dee50 New Member

yes and it's very painful. When I got my colon moving 2-3 times a day I stopped having knots in my calves. I got them at night while I was sleeping. Drinking lots of water was not enough. Hope you get it stopped soon. oh-how those hurt. Oh and bananna did not help either!
    Dee50
  14. foxyred

foxyred New Member

It's been 37 years since I had a baby, but, I get the knots and pain in my calves every night. The best thing I've found for them is "Pain Patches". These are sold by Absorbine Jr. and other brands. They have the medication in them and you just stick them to your legs where they hurt. Takes a few minutes for them to start working, but, they usually get me thru the rest of the night. They are sold OTC. Good Luck
  15. jana15

jana15 New Member

Hi Kelly

Congradulations on the new bub!

I had that problem with pain in my calves when I was breast feeding my children. This was way before I got sick (officially at least)

The pain stopped a wee while after I weaned my babies. I never found out what caused it and like you I drank gallons of water and had a very well balanced diet.

Cheers Jana
    [This Message was Edited on 09/27/2005]
  16. kellyrd

kellyrd New Member

I stopped bfeeding at 3 weeks. I didn't have this then. I was given flexeril to take last night. I was pretty relaxed going to sleep. It also knocked me out and I slept until 7am this morning. However, now the knots and pain in the arches of my feet are worse!! I really am tired of this. It's really affecting me mentally.
  17. tngirl

tngirl New Member

I have had the pain and knot in the back of my left calf.

Its not one of my more frequent ones.

My left shoulder knots up more than my leg. Have you tried amuscle relaxer or heat?
  18. sarabeth

sarabeth New Member

my doctor thought i had a blood clot in my right leg because the pain was worse after a long distance flight, thank god there wasnt one but the pain in my legs is so bad i have to get up and walk around at night, i take soma for the spasms but it doesnt stop the leg pain and spasms
  19. jana15

jana15 New Member

Kelly,

I'm so sorry you're still having to put up with this pain. It's hard enough raising a baby when you are healthy and pain free.

Is there anything you can do to make yourself feel better? (at least temporarily)

I tried the epsom salts bath idea which was posted on here a few days ago. I think it was Mikie who posted it, Boy what a treat!

It didn't stop the aches and pains for long, maybe an hour or so, but that was enough time for me to feel like I'd been on a lovely warm vacation. I had some lovely candles burning and a nice warm cup of peppermint and ginger tea. I felt like a Goddess when I finally emerged even if I did resemble a wizend up old prune!

I know this might be very difficult for you - I remember how hard it was to steal a bit of time for myself when my babies were young so I'm hoping there may be someone who can look after bub so you can treat yourself to a bath or a massage or something which may bring you some temporary relief at least.

Cheers Jana