Knots in the backHelp

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by 1975jet, Jun 15, 2006.

1. 1975jet

1975jet New Member

My god- the knots in the back near the shoulders get terrible- I have my hubby rub them and he can actually feel them- it hurts!!! What is better ice or heat or both- besides the massage???/

Seems to get worse with stress or when I'm at this computer too long and too long is 1 hour at the most?

2. yourtroubl

yourtroubl New Member

I am an expert lol at muscle injuries Ice is always best. It may not feel as good as heat sometimes, but it works the best overall
  3. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

1975jet:

You probably already know this but here goes:

You can take a tennis ball and put it between your shoulders and a wall. Move your body and knead the places where it hurts.

Just do not overdo it. I did and hurt worse.

nyrofan
  4. mme_curie68

mme_curie68 New Member

Like many, I love the heating pad, but heat dehydrates the muscles and can exacerbate inflammation, rather than reducing it.

Ice helps stop the inflammatory process. It constricts blood vessels and reduces the "leakiness" that occurs in an inflammatory reaction.

I use the tennis ball technique as well.

Hugs,
    Madame Curie
  5. 1975jet

1975jet New Member

Hi, the knots come and go and they feel bigger that peas- couple of years ago, I had my hubby use a massager he had it on lowest setting and thought I would go through the roof- used it for a week and the hands seem more stimulating and don't hurt as much- I would say the knots are size of a quarter- they do relax at times- but when they flare-Pain.

I noticed there is a little pea size bump you can feel in my neck- it only seems to hurt at touch- my doctor says it is not connected to my thyroid.

I can't afford a massage therapist at this point of time-
    so what ever I can do for myself, I'd rather.

Janet