knots that hurt does anyone else have them?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by utvoldeb, May 6, 2006.

1. utvoldeb

utvoldeb New Member

hello everyone, i just needed to know if anyone else has these knots under there skin ive just noticed two knots on my left leg recentley only because its been hurting real bad. i do have them under the skin on my back,ribs,arms now they-re showing up on my legs. i read once that it was part of having fibro,painful to the touch and ache alot has anyone else discovered this and what can be done if anything to make it more tolerable. deb
  2. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

Have them constantly in neck, shoulders, even scalp.
    You can feel the knots on my head.
    Get them in left leg, causes sciatica.
    Sometimes get them in the arch of my foot, can see it twitching!

Claudia
  3. MamaDove

MamaDove New Member

I too have them in my neck, back (under the shoulder blades, big ouch) and my head too (Claudia, I thought I was the only one with that)

The only thing that gives relief is to be rubbed out hard, with this, it's no pain, no gain...I have learned relaxation techniques to completely relax and bear the pain. Just wish I could do it constantly so I would have no more pain, but it takes the mental 'life' outta me for quite awhile...

Do we ever win with these dd's?

I'm sorry you have this pain to deal with...I went to pain management and a therapist worked with me, plus a psych doc helped mentally with relaxation tapes...I need this therapy daily to have the benefit, cause the knots come back shortly after the treatment...

Geez, my brain is scattered, I can't seem to make sense here, going all over again...Actually, my brain seems stuck on WHAT DWARF AM I? hahahaha

Well, wishing you well and hoping you get some relief soon, Alicia
  4. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

Sorry about your knotty head, but it's nice to know you understand.:)

when I try to tell doctor's or fiend's/family my symptom's they look at me like I just landed on earth !

Claudia
  5. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

Right now ,I have one on my arm that looks like a sideways muscle.Linda
  6. jake123

jake123 New Member

On my upper arms and on my back and on my sides, ribs, and even stomach. They do hurt. If I can massage myself, I can sometimes keep them from hurting too bad. I have one of those big twisty blue plastic thingeys with all the knobs on it so that you can put pressure on the sore places (what ARE they called??)
  7. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

utvolded:
    A professional massage in-home would help or manipuating the spots yourself (those you can reach). Also there is the old tennis ball against the wall technique where you put the ball on the wall and your back to it and do some massage. I had to do that yesterday.

I hope you do feel better real soon.

P.S. I believe in using rubbing alcohol, too.

nyrofan
  8. carebelle

carebelle New Member

Yes I to have the painful Knots.on my legs arms ,and shoulders and back.I use to get allergy shots years ago and I would swell up like a golf ball under my skin.These are not that big ,about the size of a marble but very painfull.Also I have notice they are in my fatty skin like my stomach.Houshold cleaning products will set them off.
  9. mrsjethro

mrsjethro New Member

and I have them also....mainly in my back and around my shoulder blades. I have mine under control for the most part right now. The blue plastic twisty thing that jake123 was referring to is probably the trigger point pro or something similar. I bought one of those and the trigger point therapy workbook, second edition. I got the trigger point pro massage tool from massage warehouse because they were a lot cheaper than anywhere else I could find them, and the workbook, I just bought at a bookstore. I think that massage warehouse is carrying that now too, I just don't think it's the second edition. It has been updated and has some really good info in it. Basically what I got out of it,(the best memory serves me) is you have to massage those knots in one direction to push the toxins out and allow fresh blood and oxygen to travel through that part of the fascia. I also read that you can't stretch a muscle with a trigger point knot in it until you deal with eliminating that knot. For me, trying to exercise my back and shoulder like most of my doctors were insisting that I do, only made the pain worse for me. The tennis ball in the sock is a good thing too, but I was able to really pinpoint it and dig in with the tool and that part of my condition is getting some better now. I hated to spend the 30 something dollars for the tool and another 20 something for the workbook, but my co-pay for a dr visit was 35 anyway, and it ended up being the best money I've spent so far. This is not to be construed in any way, shape or form as an advertisement or endorsement for any product or company. I just wanted to share my experiences and the fact that at least one part of my condition is getting some relief. I did quite a bit of research before I found all of this because at that particular point in time, that was what was causing me the most amount of pain. In the workbook, it shows where the knots are and the area of the body that the pain is referred to. I also bought a second edition fibromyalgia & chronic myofascial pain survival manual and there is a wealth of info that has helped me in that little jewel too. Hope I can help some of you too. You all have been so good to me....

Hey Cool!! You're in TN too!!! I didn't even look at your screen name closely the first time. I'm on the other end...
    [This Message was Edited on 05/07/2006]
  10. MamaDove

MamaDove New Member

the blue plastic thingee is a THERACANE...

My therapist gave one to me over 10 years ago...Imagine having the energy to work out my own knots??? I've tried it but my hands cannot tolerate the holding of this contraption never mind the pressure needed to help work them out...

I am awaiting my hubby to come home from the shooting range to work out one under my shoulder blade...Boy will he be excited when he gets home, I put him right to work...tehe
  11. mrsjethro

mrsjethro New Member

Mine is the trigger point pro and it does basically the same thing, only mine has more handles and bulbs on it. Those things are wonderful. Glad you knew the correct name for it. I couldn't think of it exactly.....imagine that. My physical therapist was going to get me one, but I couldn't stand the physical therapy long enough to get it, so I ended up having to buy my own. My husband usually won't rub my back and on those blue moons when he does, he haphazardly does it and ends up making it hurt worse, so I don't have much choice but to work on my own or just suffer. Either way, those knots are bad..
  12. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Especially neck and shoulder blade areas. You are right rubbing them hard, even squeezing them hard.

They sure hurt. Have bad ones in left of neck as we speak....
    Love Anne C
  13. msmac

msmac New Member

I have found that learning about trigger points in the Trigger Point Therapy Workbook by Clair Davies is one of best books I own. My husband bought me another one that I have found some valuable information in, Accupressure's Potent Points, (a guide to self care) is my other one. The first is a bible to me. It is in soft cover so about $20. and the other one is cheap, too.

Check out virgin coconut oil for self (or any) in addition to using it as a supplement. I poured some into a separate bottle to use for massage and skin softening.

I am in SC, am looking for friends. I do work at home as a Medical Transcriptionist, and have gone through a bad flare in the last 6 months. (But I also broke my back a few years back and have arthritis,etc.)

If you want to exchange e.mails and talk I would love to get to know you. I am nearly 53, never had kids, but my Jack russell is my baby. I too am married, and have a hard time with him understanding my condition. (we used to farm, so he knows how active I have been and doesn't comprehend all that is going on.) But then, neither do I!
  14. TxSongBird

TxSongBird New Member

I have the nodules on my upper back up close to where your shoulder blades meet. I actually find it soothing to have pressure put on them and knead them out. I am going to be setting myself up for an appointment with a massage therapist and have deep tissue massage done on my problem spots. I find that if pressure is applied in the proper way, it relieves the pain and I am less anxious.

TxSongBird
  15. puddin827

puddin827 New Member

Welcome to "Knots" Landing ..........i have them every where and usually don't feel them until like my dogs pounce on my legs or something then I just lose it !
  16. TxSongBird

TxSongBird New Member

Sometimes I am so desperate for someone to work the knot out on my shoulder blade area that I literally try to reach back there, but it about kills me to do it. I wish we could rent out someone who would just do that as their job and then we wouldn't be in such pain. My Dr. during a recent check up mentioned to me that there were actually knots that he could see on my shoulders and upper back. My response to him was "yes I know that, they live on my back and they are a pain in the butt.

TxSongBird