Knots Under Skin

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by rkidd3423, Sep 20, 2011.

1. rkidd3423

rkidd3423 New Member

I was diagnosed with FM 2 years ago. I noticed recently that when I am having my worst pain, I have knots under my skin. They are mainly in my arms and legs. Does anyone else have this symptom? Could it be something other than FM?
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Myofacial Pain Syndrome. One can have FMS and MPS. A really good physical therapist can massage out the kinks of MPS. Good luck.

Love, Mikie
  3. rkidd3423

rkidd3423 New Member

Thank you so much for the advice. If it is MPS then I obviously need to be on something to relax my muscles. My neck is the worst...which obviously causes massive headaches. I'm just looking for answers so that I can keep my job for as long as I can!

Thanks again for the advice!!!!
  4. ellikers

ellikers New Member

People can also have chronic myofascial pain without having it be labelled a syndrome ... I've dealt with fibro and chronic myofascial pain (and used to have CFIDS). The knots could be trigger points, these are DIFFERENT than tender points that are used to diagnose FM. If you search for chronic myofascial pain or trigger points you can find a lot of great information online about them. Trigger points cause referred pain (so you could have one that causes pain farther away from the actual point, inches or feet away).

I do lots of self-care at home that helps a bunch: I use a tennis ball at home to loosen up my tight hips and back, apply moist heat, apply topical pain reliever, etc. One very key thing is keeping moving ... even if not exercising per say, staying active helps our bodies A LOT. When I'm inactive, my body just locks up.

Physical therapy and massage have also been super helpful for me. I LOOOOOOVE physical therapy! The people who treat me use "myofascial release" that can get those knotted up areas of muscle and fascia (the weblike lining around our organs and muscles) to loosen up.

Hope you find some more helpful resources to help you on your quest!
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Sounds as though you have received the same physical therapy as I did for my myofacial pain. Some people have chronic myofacial pain and it is sometimes called a syndrome because it it chronic. Others, like me, have it as a result of some trauma. In my case, it was an auto accident.

I was told to think of the facia like a knit sweater which holds everything together. If you pull a string on a sweater, it will cause the sweater to bunch up. The moist heat and PT help to work out the knots, like flattening out the sweater bunches. And, yes, the pain from where the facia knots up can travel to other areas almost like along the sweater strings which are kinked up at the bunch.

BTW, Rkidd, muscle relaxants don't really work long term because the problem isn't in the muscle; it's in the facia. The knots need to be worked out before everything can relax and unwind.

Love, Mikie
  6. ellikers

ellikers New Member

What a great analogy! ... I'd add a squishy sweater that is supposed to be able to stretch and move and when it gets injured it gets stick and sticky, catching on itself ... that's how it was described to me ... it should be all happy and able to glide around so our organs and the rest of our innards can move about.

One visceral physical therapist that has worked on me hypothesized my fascia along my chest and pelvis gets rigid and stuck because of a car accident I was in that I thought I was uninjured in. Only years later did I start having pelvic issues and abdominal muscle issues.

Fascinating as usual ...
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I like your analogy too. Yes, sometimes something will spill on a sweater and make it all stiff. That is exactly how the facia feels when it won't move easily and without pain. The PT exercises I learned have helped to keep my facia from knotting up again.

I didn't think I was injured by my accident either (the air bag hit me in the chest) but six months later, my neighbor noticed I was limping. Well, there was injury to my shoulders, hips and legs from stiffening up and holding on so tight to the steering wheel and braking at the moment of impact.

It was then that my FMS was triggered full blown. My CFIDS/ME had been triggered full blown ten years earlier and I had somewhat recovered but was never the same. With the two conditions active, it put me in bed and on morphine for quite a few years until I got both conditions under control enough to work part time. Now, it appears that my Sjogren's has set everything back again. I think it's important to work on things as they come up because the result of all our conditions taken together are worse than the sum of all of them individually.

The good news is that myofacial pain can be alleviated and if one does the exercises, a lot of it can be controlled. I'll bet a lot of people have myofacial pain and don't realize what it is. Dr. Oz recently told his audience that it's knots in the muscles. It's not; it's knots in the facia, hence the name. Sometimes, I think Oz is from Oz.

Love, Mikie
  8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Any new symptoms need to be checked out. We can't assume everything is FMS or CFIDS/ME.

Love, Mikie
  9. ellikers

ellikers New Member

Oh Dr.s, even a book that got a lot of attention about being about pain issues got stuff wrong ... I think body issues are so misunderstood that people get super confused (even professionals). The author confused trigger points and tenderpoints and was describing and referring to them interchangeably ... SO not the same thing. Blergh.

Yes, I believe myofascial issues can get a lot better with bodywork and movement (in addition to healthy living like good nutrition, etc.). Has been the case with me at least.

Agreed, bumps around/of lymph tissue should definitely be checked out, that doesn't sound like trigger points and could be related to FM or CFIDS but could also be something else!
  10. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

One of the symptoms is enlarged, blocked lymph nodes. I have had to massage the ones in my breasts to get the lymph fluid moving because just the weight of them has caused excruciating pain. The ones in my neck and underarms get enlarged and sore too but they aren't as painful. Massage is good for getting the lymph nodes moving. Swollen lymph nodes usually indicate that the body is dealing with some kind of infection unless it's because they are blocked.

Love, Mikie
  11. rkidd3423

rkidd3423 New Member

Well, it turns out I have myofascial pain syndrome along with FMS and degenerative disc disease. The doctor prescribed a new pain medicine called Nucynta and gave me an order to have a massage (hopefully my insurance will cover it). I really thank you guys for all of the advice. I'm starting to feel much better. The pain medicine makes me a little out of it so I have to be careful at work but at least I'm not in pain!
  12. Chico1

Chico1 New Member

I get knots in my inner knees and inner elbows, they hurt so bad. I have Fibro & MS but each time I talk to my doc about them, he doesn't know what they are, so I've just learned to deal with them since no one could figure out what they heck they are. They swell to almost golf ball size and are extremely tight, they hurt to touch.

My doc gave me nuceynta as well to try, he may as well have given me Skittles as much as they helped me, not to say they won't be great for you as we all are different but the only thing I find from a pain pill that helps me is hyrocodone.
  13. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Be sure you get a physical therapist knowlegable about myofacial pain, one who can also show you exercises. This is usually a series of massages and PT until the knots are worked out.

Good luck.

Love, Mikie
  14. rkidd3423

rkidd3423 New Member

Thanks guys for the advice! The Nucynta is working great! Hydrocodone did nothing for me at all you said...everyone is different! are a great person to talk to on this message board. I read most of what you write and you are very uplifting! Thanks so much!!!!
  15. CarolBuck

CarolBuck New Member

I realize this discussion is months old, but I must reply with my own experiences. Yes, the knots can be MPS, what we call "marbles". Most people with fibro get them. Another cause can be small or even medium cysts. I have had a condition for several decades where small cysts form both on my skin and under the skin, particularly around the trigger points and tender points. My pain also includes that from excess bone growth on my upper spine, due to a bad fall in 1994. I have found, as has Mikie, that physical and massage therapy are fantastic with alleviating most of the pain. However, if the condition worsens, you should ask your physician about the possibility of scleroderma, an (unfortunately) deadly form of fibro. A friend of mine died last year from it. Her organs and muscles very slowly lost their elasticity, and she eventually could no longer use her lungs. Her heart gave out one year ago. Do take care of your body. It's usually the only one we have (notwithstanding organ and other body transplants). God Bless all of you!