Know how to start support group in my area?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Sissy123, Apr 24, 2003.

1. Sissy123

Sissy123 New Member

There are no support groups in my area and I know I cant be the only one to have fibro/cfs. I would be interested in learning how to start one if anyone has any experience with this could you please let me know? Thank alot, Sis
  2. Cycie

Cycie New Member

Sissy, My friend & I started a group last year. Contacted one of the local Clubs(Bowls) and they donate the use of a room, make up advertising flyers containing venue, date and time of meeting, we meet 1st Fri of each month. Please make sure you have someone reliable to help you as it can be time and energy consuming.
    Also download information and add to folders for the people to access. We use the local parlimentary office to do all the coping, some hospitals will let you use their machines, as it is too costly to pay for copying.
    We just charge an attendance fee of $3, this covers the costs of paper, postage for the newsletter of happenings within the group. Every 2nd month we try to get a guest speaker, other times we have a laughter session or just have a sharing day, where we get people within the group to share their story etc...
    We run raffles and a local business donates the use of BBQ and supplies saus, bread etc and all we have to do is cook it. Last year we made $700 on the BBQ.
    I sure hope this will help and if I can be of any further help to you my email is: auntygail@bigpond.com
    Take Care and Good Luck, Cycie