Know of a good therapist for depression?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by caroleye, Jan 27, 2011.

1. caroleye

caroleye New Member

Looking for one that doesn't use drugs, as they all make me sick. Also located in the San Francisco Bay Area.

Mine's getting really bad.

Thanks & gentle hugs.......................carole
  2. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I strongly recommend a therapist trained in EMDR. After my urging her to do so for several years, one of my sisters has been seeing an EMDR therapist for about 2 months and she is amazed at the results. She has struggled with depression and anxiety since forever (we had abuse in our family). Anyways, she's changing in positive ways and told me she's grateful that I kept suggesting EMDR, even though she resisted going for many years.

Another sister's husband, who came from a very abusive background and had all sorts of problems, started seeing an EMDR therapist as well, and that sister is blown away by his progress. She said he acts like a normal human being now - a lot of the crazy behavior is just gone.

I saw an EMDR therapist for about a year and half in my mid-forties and wish more than anything that it had been around when I was 20. Regular therapy just cannot do what EMDR does. EMDR gets results much more quickly than standard talk therapy alone, and also its effects last - you don't have to go over the same stuff over and over and over again (which was my experience with traditional talk therapy - I kept having to rehash the same stuff)

For more info, go to, and you can also find practitioners in your area who do it on that website. I checked and there are 167 when I put in the city of San Francisco in the search box.

Also, several of the practitioners list their specialty there, including depression.

Good luck!

3. kat211

kat211 New Member

Gosh, I haven't thought of it for years, but it is an amazing tool. I was scared to death to drive and especially scared of a particular car b/c I had been in so many accidents, 7 to be specific, none my fault. after one session I went home and actually drove my mil's car that was the same make and model of the car I was afraid of during rush hour on one of the worst streets in the city!

I would also recommend cog behavioral therapy.