Known BAD side effects to common meciations

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by butterfly83, Nov 4, 2005.

1. butterfly83

butterfly83 New Member

Since I have been worried about my medicine combo giving me more symptoms to deal with, I thought that it would be a good idea to have an ongoing thread for people who have had a side effect to a commonly used FMS medicine.

Just so people who are on it can be aware of the dangare, and keep and eye on themselves.

With FMS it always helps to know you're not alone.

So.. what side effects have you experienced in the past, or think you are experiencing.

I'll chime in with mine later, (since its late and i need to be trying to fall asleep right about now)

Good night everyone! sleep as well as possible.
  2. tonakay

tonakay New Member

weight gain....
  3. chopindog

chopindog New Member

Made me hostile, I couldn't sleep for three days and my pain was magnafied times ten.
  4. libra55

libra55 New Member

Ambien was a strange one for me. Although it helped with sleep it caused some short term memory loss, also I was getting up in the middle of the night and baking cookies and cakes, also had gaps in my memory during the day (couldn't remember if I had done certain things or not). I later found out it's a hypnotic.

Celexa made me sweat like the dickens.

Effexor was by far the worst. The brain zaps were awful.

Michelle
  5. libra55

libra55 New Member

Ambien was a strange one for me. Although it helped with sleep it caused some short term memory loss, also I was getting up in the middle of the night and baking cookies and cakes, also had gaps in my memory during the day (couldn't remember if I had done certain things or not). I later found out it's a hypnotic.

Celexa made me sweat like the dickens.

Effexor was by far the worst. The brain zaps were awful.

Michelle
  6. pam_d

pam_d New Member

....can cause headaches for a lot of folks.

For me, it causes sleeplessness....even though I feel relaxed having less pain, I can't sleep. I could never use this medication daily and/or around the clock, as some people do. In fact, i only use it occasionally, and never after about 4-5 pm....otherwise, I won't be able to sleep.

Pam
  7. Bambi

Bambi New Member

on me, every single one but Prozac either raised my BP sky high or made me dizzy and out of balance. None of them helped one bit with my pain anyway and oh, Trazedone has helped my sleep and not caused too much BP
    elevation in the process.

The NSAIDS caused stomach pain, blood in stools and finally started an ulcer that I had to treat for four years.

The anti seizure meds did zero but made me feel wierd. THEN they told me they are not for anyone that had seizures as a kid and I did.

All the muscle relaxers did nothing for my severe muscle spasms except Soma with no side effects.

I've tried other things but can't remember what they were, only that they didn't help. Only the stronger pain med helps and several of those either didn't work at all or made me
    nauseated. Fentanyl made me deathly sick to my stomach with projectile vomitting. UGH! The med I take now I have no apparent side effects from.
  8. elsa

elsa New Member

Called and used as a muscle relaxer but is in the tricyclic anti-depressant family. The older group which includes Elavil.

It might do it's job as far as relaxing muscles, but it also carries the delightful side effect very common to these class of rx'es ... unbelievable, rapid weight gain.

Most docs and pharmacists that I came into contact with didn't "share" this info with me. Had to learn about it here. Needless to say ... I punted flexeril!

Elsa
  9. Suzan

Suzan New Member

Amytriptilene and Nortriptyline.
    Both caused weight gain, dry mouth, and inablitily to sleep for more than two hours at a time.
  10. cwilson

cwilson New Member

Amitriptyline (Made me feel RealYUCKY!!)

Finally helped with sleep. But, I would sleep walk and the next morning I could not function.

Zomig: Migraine: No Help

Serzon: Blah all the time

Flexeril: Like taking a sugar pill

Relpax: has finally helped with the migraines

Midrin: Helps with the tension headaches.

Meclizine: Dizzy Spells Helps Very much.

Lortab 10/500mg:Helps so much with the almost unbearable pain.

Phenergan: no more nausea:):)
  11. Tiels

Tiels New Member

happened when I took Tequin anitbiotic~~ sent me into monts and months of a bad flare.

Any of the statin drugs like Lipitor
    makes my muscles, especially the leg muscles really spasm and ache badly.

Doing ok with Tricor I think. At least the triglycerides are coming down! lol