KSP56...KIM

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by MamaR, Apr 12, 2006.

1. MamaR

MamaR New Member

Kim,

Just wanted to wish you the best at the orthopedic surgeon visit today.
    I am going to one also today for neck and low back problems. I had a MRI done last December, and it took the doc forever to look at it....but his office called me and said that he wanted to see me sooner than set appointment. I don't know what he saw on it...but will know more today. I go at 4:30 C.S.T. I will check back tonight, or in the morning to see how you are!

God Bless!

Love, Mari
  2. ksp56

ksp56 Member

I hope that you found out what you need to know. What did your ortho say? God Love You. Isn't this a pain?

The NP looked at my MRI first. She shook her head and said "You have very much wrong to be so young"! Seeing as I will be fifty in June, I told her how much I loved her! LOL

My neck is a total mess. My lower spine is not good, and the rest of it isn't much better.

Doctor suggested physical therapy with prednisone first. If I don't find relief with those, then I would have injections in neck and lower back. It's surgery after those choices. He says 90% of his patients opt for the surgery so they can lose the pain.

Not sure what I am going to do. I can find range of motion, therapy on line or thru a friend. I will not take the prednisone. No way.

Please write me and tell me what you learned today! You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Hugs,

Kim

3. MamaR

MamaR New Member

I was getting ready to head out the door, but had a few minutes, so thought that I would check here.

So, you have already made it back from the doc. I am so sorry that you are in this shape. I hope that the physical therapy helps you.

I am like you, I do not want the prednisone.

I will check back later.

Love, Mari
  4. fivesue

fivesue New Member

Glad to hear about your doctor visit. I'm so glad to hear you were validated although I hate it that you have so many problems with your back. You and Mari are alike in this area, I think.

So, there is a plan of attack! I don't blame you about the prednisone...the side effects can be devastating.

I'm glad you finally got some information and hope that the physical therapy will be helpful.

Take care!

Hugs,
    Sue
  5. ksp56

ksp56 Member

Mari and Sue,

Mari, how was your appointment? I have been thinking of you!

Sue and Mari, what do you think about skipping on to the next 'bandaid', the epidurals? With 90% of his patients choosing surgery after attempting the other two offerings; I am thinking how tired I am of messing with the pain and discomfortl.

I don't want to have surgery, but at the same time, I do. Make sense at all?

Maybe I'll wait until tmw, and tell them I'm having trouble with the meds? Isn't that awful?! LOL The information says not to take it if you have a psychiatric problem, Bipolar here, or stomach problems (gastorparesis), etc. Right there are major reasons for me!

Okay, yada yada yada!

Let me know how you both are doing! You are in my thoughts and prayers...

Hugs,

Kim
  6. MamaR

MamaR New Member

Good Morning,

I can't say about the epidurals....but it doesn't sound too good to me either. If I were you, I would go with my gut feeling on this. That is always best...I think.

Well, I emailed Sue earlier. I am sort of frustrated....but relieved! I was in great fear that I would need surgery.

The doc said that my spine has alot of degeneration, but not severe. He said that he didn't see a serious problem with my spine....for someone my age. He had to remind me....right? )-:

He couldn't explain the numbness in my hands, but said that the burning pain in my legs could be from sciatic nerve in my lower hip area. It is right near the bones where we sit.
    He did want me to do physical therapy. He thinks that I have a serious muscle problem...caused by the fibro.
    I just don't know. The tension in my muscles are worsened by stress....stress is brought on by concern over medical bills....of which I have too many already! Is there any need to go until I get the money?

I am releived, but still in pain.

Like I told Sue, I think that I am going to ask my family doctor what she would suggest.

Why is it that we always feel like people don't believe us? I hate to mention FM, but, had to explain why I had so many issues with muscle pain.
    Plus, I had to mark on this diagram of the body where I feel the pain. And then... there are the few meds I take...plus the IBS, IC,etc. What are we to do?

I just feel so frustrated. I am concerned about money issues....but I know that I can't manage to hold down a job any longer. I want to try for disability, but I dread the process. It makes me feel like they think that I am not really sick! God knows I want to be normal...more than words can say! I miss the old me....so badly!!!!

Well, that is pretty much where I am.
    It has taken me forever to type this. My hands and mind will not work together. But, that is why I had to stop work....not mentioning the pain.

Sorry to be so much a complainer....but if anyone knows where I am.... it is all of you!!

Love, Mari
  7. ksp56

ksp56 Member

I had the same reservations about admitting to the fibro. He seemed to be okay with it, but I am done hiding this from the medical world.

Mari, if you have numbness in fingers, arms, etc., you surely must have a pinched nerve! Those symptoms sent me on my quest! Maybe have a second opinion by a neuro doc?

Bills are so frightening. I know from experience. Have you asked about setting up payment plans? Let them know about your situation? Do you have insurance? Some times when you tell hospitals, etc., that money is tight, they will write off the portion you can't pay.

God Bless you Mari. I am thinking of you!

Kim
  8. fivesue

fivesue New Member

I have been praying for your two....I am so sorry about the pain and the spine issues. If there were a specific treatment that made people better, it would be so much easier. But.....and that's the big but!

Kim, I have had some spinal injections in my lower back. I don't know if that's what you are talking about. I have some arthritis in my back and some sciatica problems, other things didn't work, so they gave me some steroids of some kind in my lower back. It was suppose to help for some time. The first one last only a month, and then they told me some times it takes more and has a build-up effect.

So, I had a second one, and it didn't even help for a week. I gave right up on those. They are expensive and don't really work that well. I now take ibuprofen and vicodin to help with pain.

Anyway, I will pray for each of you and that you will get the correct treatment for your problems. I am so sorry for the pain and anxiety you both deal with daily.

Love,
    Sue

9. ksp56

ksp56 Member

Thanks for the info Sue. I don't think they will work for a long period. I called them a few minutes ago and told them, that with my bipolar, I didn't want to take them!

I just want to do at least one thing he suggested! LOL I am not going to wait long for them to work. I am ready to have surgery and praying it helps!

Sue, I think of you very often. How are you? I know you have so much on your plate. I care and will be here. Even more 'better' (lol), would be to meet in chat room!

God Bless!

Love,

Kim
  10. fivesue

fivesue New Member

Mari and I met in a chat room and exchanged e-mails; it has been nice to chat with her whenever. I hope that we can make it someday, too.Let me know and I'll try to be there.

I understand your desire to stop messing around and get some real help. I just think the shots in the back are a real waste.

I miss my dad! It happens at strange times; something will come up and I will cry thinking about him. Then, I call my mom about 4-5 times a week and it's an unspoken reality that there is no Dad to get on the other line. Just so sad. But, I know he is safe in Heaven, waiting for me and all the rest of us. Makes me teary now!

Changing meds is a hard thing, too, as you well know. But, it's better than I had thought. Still, it is a bit challenging to keep emotionally and physically wrapped right now. Poor Jim....he just bugged me to death last night over something that wouldn't have even made me blink before. (-; Thankfully, he knows me and I can say I'm sorry.

I hope Mari will get some help. The numbness must be a pinched nerve or maybe some tight muscles. I don't know, but maybe PT can help. Are you going to try it?

Take care!
    Sue
  11. fivesue

fivesue New Member

12. ksp56

ksp56 Member

for not finding this sooner!

Sue, my heart goes out to you! I feel so helpless. I don't think most people know how heart wrenching this is for adult children. Until it happens to them. I know your dad is looking over you. As is mine. My biggest problem is I am selfish and want Dad, HERE, to be here.

I wanted to let you both know that I am having an epidural, for the spine, tomorrow afternoon. It is the last hurdle. Honestly, I would like to have the surgery, NOW! This is not going to help my neck problems which bother me even more!

Mari, how did your appointment go? I see that he wanted you to come in earlier. What is going on with that? Did he say anything about your pinched nerve feeling?

I have to call the surgi-center and get some info.

My sleep schedule is so off. Stay up until 4 AM and get up at noon. This has got to stop. I am still tired. It's making me crazy! Hmmmm, I am already there...

Love to you both,

Kim

13. fivesue

fivesue New Member

I read that you are having an epidural tomorrow, and I do hope it will help the lower back pain although I can't see how it will help your neck, etc. I have very minor problems and an epidural didn't do a thing for me. Very disappointing.

Speaking of nuts...I'm there, too! Changing from Effexor to Cymbalta and this week's change has gotten me; feel really rotten...achy, fatigues, stomach upset, head funny...course, my head's alway funny! I'm hoping that by Saturday I feel better. We'll see.

Just wanted to write and let you know I've been lurking for a bit...just want to make sure things are normal (??) on the board.

Thanks for the thoughts on my dear dad....they help me a lot!

You take care, and don't do too much tomorrow after the epidural. Rest...will be praying for you.

Love,
    Sue

Mari went to the doc and he told her a few things but I'll let her post it. Doctors!
  14. ksp56

ksp56 Member

Thank you for being you!

About the epidural thing... I have been in great pain today. Not just in my back. My NECK is what I intially wanted help for.

My mind started working (REALLY) for a few minutes, and I remembered my GP giving me the name of the ONLY doctor's she would see for epidurals, etc. Not where I am going to, which is affliated with my ortho's group.

I am thinking about cancelling tomorrow's epidural, and make an appointment with the 2 other doctors. Along with that, I might schedule an appointment with a neuro surgeon who my friend, a nurse, highly recommends. Her husband is a NP, so he knows the med world himself! Also, this doctor did spinal surgery on him.

The ortho doc mentioned things in very vague ways, no matter how Jim and I asked the question. His NP was not friendly, until the last two minutes. The office in general, lacks warmth. I called to ask a question once, and they were the closest thing to a Mime, I have heard. LOL

I will update you tomorrow!

I know changing meds is difficult. If you don't feel like Cymbalta is working, let the doc know immediately!

Wish Marty or Whine could visit, but alas, they are not tolerated with the spine/neck medication. I had ONE glas of wine, with ice even, a week ago. I was TOTALLY toast. NEVER, has this happened. So I might give ol' Ben and Jerry acall if you don't mind!

Take cary Suzy...

Love,

Kim

15. fivesue

fivesue New Member

as you don't want some dope messing around your spinal column! Think you are very wise.

The problem is that I think the Cymbalta is going to be OK, but I'm getting used to that WHILE going off EFFEXOR....and that is the worst one of all to stop.

Between a rock and a hard place for sure.

Just hate all this, you know? Of course you know!

Never got out of my nightgown today...I did, however, brush my teeth and wash my face...Sheesh.

Need to go sit down, but will check in with you. Let me know if you can what happens tomorrow.

I was ready to try Marti, I'll tell you, but he's so wild, I think I'd better stick with the smooth mellow Ben....maybe Jerry, too, but pretty tired for two!

Take care!
    Sue
  16. MamaR

MamaR New Member

I am so sorry that I just saw this! If you do go tomorrow for the epidural...I pray that it goes easy for you. I just don't know what is best for any of us....so frustrating!

I hope that Sue gets smoothed out soon with the med switch. I sure wish her the best on that....and say a prayer for her, too.

I am in a mess trying to decide what to do next. I went to my PP last Tuesday and she now thinks that I could have Lupus. She wants me to go to a Rhuemy over 100 miles away. He is one that she works closely with.
    But, I am considering getting my medical records and getting another opinion from local doc here first.

I will let you know!

Try to rest tonight.

Love....Mari
  17. ksp56

ksp56 Member

Oh, I pray you don't have Lupus. Know that you are in my prayers.

I think you are wise to get your records. And keep them. I learned this after having breast cancer. Seems as if they often can't 'find' records when needed. Welcome to the world of computers! LOL

I would talk to as many doctor's as you need too! Go with your gut, like you and Sue have told me! My instincts are usually right on. Sometimes I need friends to remind me!

Please keep in touch and let me know how things are going.

God Bless!

Love,

Kim
  18. ksp56

ksp56 Member

I decided not to do epidural today. At least not with group I was scheduled with! Duh, did I already mention that?!! LOL

I hope both of you are having a day that is kind to you.

Look forward to hearing from you!

Love,

Kim
  19. fivesue

fivesue New Member

Like you say, go with your gut...feelings that is. Fact is my gut getting so big it's taking me places! (-: I hope Cymbalta is kinder to me in the weight area that Effexor. It has been brutal.

Can you get your doc to refer you to the group you want for the epidural? HOpe so.

Just glad you are being slow and wise. Seems to me that giving the lower epidural won't do a bit for your upper area and that seems to be the part that bothers you the most...??

I hate medications, but think I'm a bit better today. Yesterday was a lost day. We'll see.

I think Mari should go to the doc she wants before going 100 miles away. She has a terrible situation with doctors right now. I just don't understand doctors. Do they acutally think we are making these things up? That we like being limited in our lives? Sheesh! Makes me want to scream! And, the rheumy Mari's going to really doesn't seem to be doing too much.

Have a good Friday, Kimmie! Take care of yourself and keep us updated on what's going on.

Love,
    Sue
  20. MamaR

MamaR New Member

Hi girls....better late than never...huh?
    I have had a very peaceful morning/day....so far.

Kim, I see that you didn't go for epidural. I know from reading... that you are about where I am in some respects. Trying to decide what to do. God bless you sweet girl. I hope that you have a comfortable, relaxing weekend.

Sue, I sure hope that your day has been smooth for you. The weekend is here...try to ease back and relax!

Love.....Mari