kudos

Discussion in 'General Health & Wellness' started by hrhprincesstiffanyy, Jun 8, 2012.

1. hrhprincesstiffanyy

hrhprincesstiffanyy New Member

Don't you wish sometimes you could get kudos for getting out of bed rather than blank stares and wispers about how you're not "really" sick?
  2. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

Hi there and glad you wrote. Truthfully, I don't want the kudos. But I would love someone to say "hey, would you like to do lunch today?" Being disabled and in an electric scooter (wearing leg braces) , I have found it true that some people are uncomfortable around someone in a wheelchair, a power chair or an electric scooter and are uncomfortable with going out to a restaurant with them. I lost so many friends when I became disabled.

As for blank stares and whispers that we're not really sick, I remember a quote from a disabled poet that was in an iron lung (and has since passed away) about everyone either becomes disabled or dies. So realistically I figure that the people who look down on us or whisper nasty things about us could be the next people disabled with what we have--I became disabled in the blink of an eye. The quote is below.

"I want people to think of disability as a social problem . . . . Everyone becomes disabled unless they die first." Mark O’Brien July 31, 1949 – July 3, 1999.
  3. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

May I call you Hrh?

Welcome to the board. There are several boards at this one
    site. See the drop down menu in the upper left corner. The
    board rules are in the right corner.

If you don't get out much, and many of us don't, you may
    want to visit the Chit Chat board. It's been my social
    life for the past several years.

I must say I never thought about owning a kudu. Looked
    'em up in Wikipedia. Apparently

The Kudu is an antelope