Kutapressin congressional inquiry contacts

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by annepat, Aug 3, 2003.

1. annepat

annepat New Member

Please read this message in its entirety, and please keep this post at the top to the post list.
    If you are or have used Kutapressin, please keep your bottles and boxes, and please check the expiration date and batch lot number listed on the top of the box and the side of the vial-DO NOT RELY ON PHARMACY EXPIRATION DATES, as they may expire months later than the actual product expiration date. A batch lot with the expiration date of 7-03 was in circulation as recently as March/April, but the expiration date the pharmacy label is 4-04. I received a bottle from this batch lot from CVS pharmacy. Their wholesaler distributor is Cardinal Health; Schwarz Pharma distributes the drug to Cardinal Health. That is the chain-Schwarz to Cardinal Health, Cardinal Health to CVS Pharmacy.

There are 3 wholesaler distributors that are responsible for 90% of the drug wholesale/distribution in the US. They are: AmerisourceBergen (ABC), Cardinal Health (CAH) and McKesson (MCK). They have been asked to provide documents about drug sales, utilization, marketing and promotions dating back to 1998.

The following staffers have been working on obtaining the kutapressin formula for an undisclosed FDA approved wholesaler to compounding pharmacies. Note that potential safety issues/concerns are emerging; if you have any information that may assist them in these matters, please email them. You may also wish to post your concerns so that others may assist you and benefit. I am printing everything and giving it to my physicians.

It would also be helpful to know how many people are on this drug, and the route that the drug took before you received it. For example, do you order your Kutapressin from your health insurer prescription benefits manager, a pharmacy chain, etc. Where do these folks get their Kutapressin. Etc.

Ms. Ann Goodridge, Caseworker
    The Honorable Thomas Allen
    Portland Maine office:
    234 Oxford Street
    Portland, ME 04101
    207 774 5019
    ann.goodridge@mail.house.gov

Ms. Sara Holbom, Caseworker
    The Honorable Susan Collins
    Portland, Me office:
    1 City Center
    Portland Maine, 04101
    207 780 3575
    sara_holmbom@collins.senate.gov

Ms. Brooke Sikora, Legislative Assistant
    The Honorable John McCain
    Washington, DC office:
    241 Russell Senate Office Bldg.
    United States Senate
    Washington D.C., Washington DC 20510
    Phone: (202) 224-2235
    Fax: (202) 228-2862
    Brooke_Sikora@McCain.senate.gov

In addition, Gail Kansky from the National Cfids Foundation and Barbara Buchman from ILADS are also documenting these issues.

In May or June, Medicare ceased reimbursement for Kutapressin; they claim that it is not an FDA approved drug. I have been calling and emailing various departments within the FDA, several Fiscal Intermediaries to Medicare, the HHS Office of the Inspector General, etc. to report my concerns about Schwarz's lack of response regarding the nature and extent of their manufacturing difficulties, their unwillingness to disclose proprietary information, and there refusal to work with patients and physicians.

NOTE: My visiting pharmacist, a pharmacy manager at CVS pharmacy, will not call CVS corporate to force CVS corporate to notify patients and physicians using Kutapressin about the expiration date issue. Obviously, patients should notify their physicians. Please feel free to print this email and to bring it to your physician(s).
  2. annepat

annepat New Member

3. beckster

beckster New Member

bump bump