Kutapressin

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by elliespad, Nov 23, 2006.

1. elliespad

elliespad Member

This is from a newsletter I received from Dr. Conley. Anyone have any experience (or thoughts) on Kusapressin?

A VALUABLE ANTIVIRAL IS NOW AVAILABLE AGAIN

Kutapressin is a liver extract that has antiviral activity against many viruses including epstein-barr (EBV), cytomegalovirus (CMV), herpes simplex (HSV), and herpes zoster (shingles HZV). I used to use Kutapressin quite often for the chronic active viral infections that can be part of CFIDS/FM. Many patients in the past have responded very well to Kutapressin injections and since it is natural, the possible side effects were mild. (we will talk about the fact that I have found Kutapressin that is topical: that is applied to the skin, so daily injections are no longer needed). Even though Kutapressin is a liver extract it does not contain iron...therefore is of no help in anemia. What it does contain is amino acids and peptides that have been shown to have anti-viral activity. It has also been shown to have anti-inflammatory activity. Since it is a natural substance (made from pork liver) research has not been conducted on exactly how/why these compounds have anti-viral and anti-inflammatory functions. It has been thought that since pigs and humans get many of the same viruses, the pigs may produce anti-viral peptides that are not species specific and therefore we can use them. In any case, in the past, I have used Kutapressin with considerable sucess in those patients who did not get improvement with oral antivirals such as Zovirax, Valtrex, or Famvir. In 2002 the only manufacturer of Kutapressin stopped making it and it was no longer available. Now however it is back and best of all we are able to have it made into a topical cream that is stronger than the old injectable and appears to work just as well or even better. The topical appears to work better because it builds up a resevoir in the fat of our skin and releases over the course of 24 hours. This gives more consistent release of the medication and better anti-viral activity. Since the shots were just once per day patients would get anti-viral activity for several hours but then would be without any activity for considerable periods of the day.

2. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

Dr. Conley's clinic is in Flint Michigan which is about an hour drive from where I live. I considered going to his practice but went to FFC instead because it was much closer. Neither clinic accepts my insurance. I wonder if I should have picked him?????

I have read his book and he seems to have helped a lot of people. I don't know anyone personally who has tried this but would be very interested in hearing about more.
  3. mezombie

mezombie Member

I know of one person who swears it was instrumental in her recovery (to at least 80% of her former self). Another two feel it really helps with their flu-like symptoms, and notice a difference when they go without it.

I've read on this board that Kutapressin is also available under the name Nexavir. Spacee, in particular, has posted on this board about Kutapressin/Nexavir. A search of "Nexavir" should bring up the posts.

Alas, it didn't do anything for me, but it's definitely worthwhile pursuing considering the good results a number of people get from it.

I'm surprised the FFCs don't offer it. Maybe they're not aware it's available again?
  4. horselover2

horselover2 New Member

hi,yes, i do think it helps. been on it since march. was much worse without it. i wouldn't mind trying the cream as i am sick of giving myself injecions. have to ask dr about cream.well, try it, it's worth a shot(no pun intended). we are all different, maybe it will help you.
    good luck.
    anne
  5. spacee

spacee Member

It crossed my mind when reading this if Kutapression/Nexavir for some months before the AV's and TF's would make the herx less.

That is just a guess. Rich Carson and I are the only ones I know that have traveled the same road from Kutapressionn to the Immune Transfer C and Mycoplus.

I know that I have had herxes but then start feeling the improvement.

Just thought I would mention it. Hurts to read about your suffering.

Spacee
  6. balletdancer74

balletdancer74 New Member

Hi,

I have both CFIDS/M.E. and FM along with everything else, and I was given kutapressin shots every day for four months. Within a month I felt a noticeable improvement in my overall "well being." It didn't help with my ubiquitous and constant pain, but it did help with my "flu-like" symptoms as well as weakness/"fatigue."

I than stopped it for a month and than restarted taking it once a week mixed with certain vitamins and minerals that Dr. Derek Enlander puts together. That also helped.

When Kutapressin went off the market, Hepapressin evolved. It's basically the same thing only it's BEEF liver extract instead of PIG liver extract.

I stopped taking it as I thought it stopped helping. However, I'm considering trying it again. Who knows...

I'd prefer to the topical creme as injecting myself triggered bursitis in both of my shoulders.

Thanks.

To better health...
    LB32 (Leeza)
  7. balletdancer74

balletdancer74 New Member

Hi,

I have both CFIDS/M.E. and FM along with everything else, and I was given kutapressin shots every day for four months a little over six years ago. Within a month I felt a noticeable improvement in my overall "well being." It didn't help with my ubiquitous and constant pain, but it did help with my "flu-like" symptoms as well as weakness/"fatigue."

I than stopped it for a month and than restarted taking it once a week mixed with certain vitamins and minerals that Dr. Derek Enlander puts together. That also helped.

When Kutapressin went off the market, Hepapressin evolved. It's basically the same thing only it's BEEF liver extract instead of PIG liver extract.

I stopped taking it as I thought it stopped helping. However, I'm considering trying it again. Who knows...

I'd prefer to try the topical creme as injecting myself triggered bursitis in both of my shoulders.

Thanks. I'm curious to hear about others and their experiences.

To better health...
    LB32 (Leeza)
    [This Message was Edited on 11/26/2006]
  8. cma331

cma331 New Member

I was on Kutapressin for a few years; before Schwarz Pharma took it off the market...

It came back about a year ago; by Nexco Pharma , called Nexavir . It is an injection. I take 2 cc daily.

Yes ; I believe it gives me a better quality of life. No; I am not "Cured".

I read so many of all of your postings...I seem to be in a" better place;" than many, even tho i am quite homebound, I am not bedbound.

I do get out, as this past weekend; for 4 days straight; for recreational purposes.
    I will now be in a crash for a few weeks, but they are much less painful; less fatigue producing. Even the depression seems to disappear faster.

2 x a week, the Public health nurse in my town; comes to my home ; and gives me the Nexavir, in a deep muscle injection. Other wise i give myself the daily ones ; sub Q.

I def reccommend it. Speak with your Doc about it. Google the info on it. It is expensive; and Medicare does not cover it. Some private ins co's do.

I buy it directly from Nexco Pharma; cutting out the middle man; so it costs a little less.

Would be happy to discuss anything further ; that can help anyone.

(((Carole )))))))
  9. cma331

cma331 New Member

10. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

I gave myself Kutapressin shots for about a year. I do not feel they helped me.

Whether they would be helpful in combination with an antiviral, I do not know.

THank you for explaining that this is what Nexavir is.
  11. elliespad

elliespad Member

Thanks everyone for your input. It seems the general consensus from those who have tried it, is that is does indeed help. Don't know that I would actually take it, but will give it more consideration. Thanks.
  12. cherylsue

cherylsue Member

13. cherylsue

cherylsue Member

Available from

Village Compounding Pharmacy
    975 Corbindale Rd. Suite 100
    Houston, Texas 77024
    1-800-783-5068

Does not accept insurance, but will fill out a form for you to submit to your insurance.

Nexavir gel is made from the injectable stuff, but the gel is more potent. It is available in three strengths and comes in 30 milliliters. Dosage: 1 millileter a day.

50 mg/ml $455 for 30 cc
    33.3mg/ml $320 for 30 cc
    16.67 mg/ml $185

Dr. Paul Cheney says in his latest DVD that Nexavir gel is the most potent antiviral around and uses that and Hawthorn in his protocol.

CherylSue

14. cherylsue

cherylsue Member

15. cherylsue

cherylsue Member

I just read an 1997 article about Dr. Lapp. He says kutapressin (injectable) helped 75% of his patients. Of those that it helped, 30% reached total recovery.

CherylSue[This Message was Edited on 02/12/2007]
  16. foxglove9922

foxglove9922 New Member

Just curious, but, has anyone here had luck with the gel?

I guess I'm a little confused, I didn't think it was an AV per se but rather an immune system modulator.

I have been on hepapressin injection (bovine version of kuta) for 2.5 years and haven't seen a remarkable difference.

My last shot is tomorrow, should know more in the near future especially if I start to decline.

Good thread, hope others may come along with more info.

Foxglove
  17. cherylsue

cherylsue Member

According to the article above, the pork kutapressin is superior to the bovine source. Kutapressin had been discontinued for a few years and the bovine source replaced it.

I would try the high dose Nexavir gel in your case. I'm sure Dr. Levine would prescribe it for you.

CherylSue
  18. cherylsue

cherylsue Member

I've been on the gel for a week. Maybe, I have a slight improvement. Not sure yet. I hope to give it a 3 months trial to get me through my relapse of CFS.

CherylSue