l-carnitine

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by meditationlotus, Sep 8, 2005.

1. meditationlotus

meditationlotus New Member

Wanted to let those of you who are suffering from Chronic Fatigue Syndrome that L-carnitine or Acetyl L-carnitine has been proven by medical tests to help improve symptoms of weakness and physical stamina. However, you must take around 2 grams per day and give it lots of time. It took me several months.

I began to be able to take small walks and hikes, if I have a day or two of rest in between, and I began to be able to do some gentle yoga, with rest in between. I must still be careful not to overdue. 1/2 to 3/4 mile of walking is about my limit for now.

I am going through much psychological stress right now, which is working against me, but still I am fairing much better since I have started taking L-Carnitine.

L-Carnitine is available as a prescription med called "Carnitor" for those of you who have health insurance. There is also a patient assitance program for those who don't.

Thought I would share this with all of you.
  2. deliarose

deliarose New Member

Good to know.
    Delia
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Acetyl L-Carnitine: King of Carnitines
    by Source: VRP Nutritional News
    ImmuneSupport.com

03-01-1995

Acetyl L-Carnitine truly represents one of the most promising and well researched cognitive-enhancing compounds available today.
    Acetyl L-Carnitine, closely related to the amino acid L-Carnitine, the carrier of fatty acids across mitochondrial membranes—where energy is produced within each cell. Like L-Carnitine, Acetyl-L,-Carnitine is naturally produced in the body and found in small amounts in some foods. While the role of Acetyl-L-Carnitine in cellular metabolism has been well established for decades, research in recent years has hoisted acetyl-Carnitine from its somewhat mundane role in energy production to nutritional cognitive enhancer and neuroprotective agent extraordinaire. Indeed, taken in its entirety, Acetyl-L-Carnitine has become one of the premiere "anti-aging" compounds under scientific investigation, especially in relation to brain and nervous system deterioration.

Acetyl L-Carnitine is found in various concentrations in the brain and its levels decline significantly with age. In numerous animal studies, administration of Acetyl-L-Carnitine has been shown to have the remarkable ability of improving not only cognitive function, but also morphological (structural) and neurochemical balance.

It appears that Acetyl-L-Carnitine may have substantial potential for helping to slow down neuro-endocrine aging.

It now appears that Acetyl L-Carnitine possesses broad neuro-protective and neuro-enhancing properties. For instance, it is now known that Acetyl-L-Carnitine has effects on the dopaminergic system. The decline of this neurotransmission system is most evident in Parkinson's disease patients. Acetyl-L-Carnitine has shown the ability to improve age-related changes of the dopamine receptors, including the improved release and binding of dopamine.

One of the most important receptor systems involved with cognitive function and memory is the NMDA receptor system. NMDA (N-Methyl-D-Aspartic acid) receptors are widely distributed in the brain. It has been established that the density of NMDA receptors declines with age and that even a single dose of Acetyl-L Carnitine restores to a significant degree these receptor numbers.

One of the most important and often overlooked receptor systems is that of glucocorticoids. The hippocampus in the brain helps to regulate the production of glucocorticoids by the adrenals. The number of glucocorticoid receptors in the hippocampus also declines significantly with age, and this is thought to result in perturbations in the hypothalamus-pituitary-adrenal (HPA) axis. Acetyl-L-Carnitine treatment has been shown to prevent this age-related decline in receptor numbers. Because these receptors are central to neuroendocrine aging, It appears that Acetyl-L-Carnitine may have substantial potential for helping to slow down neuro-endocrine aging.

One of the most exciting areas of brain research has been into functions of Nerve Growth Factor (NGF). NGF mediates much of its effects through its own receptor system. Aging is associated with a significant drop in the number of NGF receptors in certain brain regions as well as a decrease in the amount of NGF produced. Acetyl-L-Carnitine has shown the ability to partially reverse both of these changes, and has even been shown to have independent stimulatory effects on neuron survival and growth. Because NGF is important for the growth and continued maintenance of neurons, the age-related decline in NGF function is thought to be directly involved in brain aging. The administration of NGFs are under investigation for the treatment of brain injury and damage, and Acetyl-L-Carnitine's ability to enhance NGF effects may have tremendous potential in many diseases and conditions affecting the brain and nervous system.

Taken as a whole, Acetyl-L-Carnitine represents a novel supplement with tremendous potential. Because it increases issue levels of carnitine, as well as provides many benefits not found with L-Carnitine supplementation, Acetyl-L-Carnitine represents an alternative to L-Carnitine with enhanced properties and benefits.

Most human studies examining Acetyl-L-Carnitine have utilized doses from 500 to 2500 mg daily in divided doses. Younger, healthy persons would probably want to take 500-1000 mg daily. While no serious side effects have been noted in animal or human studies, Acetyl-Carnitine may cause symptoms of over stimulation or headache in some sensitive individuals. However, these symptoms are not common and are usually caused by beginning with a high dose. One last consideration is Acetyl-L-Carnitine's stability. Unlike carnitine, it is recommended that Acetyl-L-Carnitine be refrigerated to ensure potency. Thus while Acetyl-L-Carnitine can be shipped without refrigeration, manufacturers must be sure to refrigerate raw material and finished product during storage to prevent degradation of the product. Customers, to further protect their investment, should preferably refrigerate Acetyl-L-Carnitine upon receipt.

Acetyl L-Carnitine truly represents one of the most promising and well researched cognitive-enhancing compounds available today. The fact that it is non-toxic, occurs naturally in the body, and positively affects so many different neurological functions makes its potential both exciting and amazing.

Go to: Acetyl L-Carnitine

References available upon request from Vitamin Research Products, Inc.

Reprinted with permission from VRP Nutritional News, March 1995, Vitamin Research Products, Inc. Any versions or comments may be directed to Vitamin Research Products, Inc., 1-800-877-2447.

Love, Mikie