L- HISTIDINE FOR ALLEGIES

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by dreamharp, Jan 20, 2006.

1. dreamharp

dreamharp New Member

Anyone taking L histidine for enviornmental allergies?
    If so, how well does it work for you and what brand do you
    take. I was researching this ammino acid and have read it
    helps with enviornmental allergies.

Thanks

Dreamharp
  2. lilly323

lilly323 New Member

Hi,<BR>
    I've read your post about L-histidine, and I was wondering if you could help me. I was diagnosed with histapenia - low histamine levels. To raise histamine I was put on folic acid with b12, niacin and vit.C. It didn't help much. I started taking L-histidine instead, and I've noticed tremendous difference after 7 day of supplementation. My brain finally calmed down, depression almost nonexistent, joint problems gone and sugar cravings gone. I don't know, however, how to take it, so it wouldn't cause zinc imbalance in my tissues. I'm on hair analysis program now, and I have to take 62 mg of zinc. Does it mean that if I want to take L-histidine 500mg 3 times per day I have to take zinc total around 120mg (20mg for every 500mg)?
  3. rockyjs

rockyjs Member

Lilly, to increase the conversion of histidine to histamine you need zinc and B6. But taking too much histidine will override the effect since it stabilizes mast cells.<BR>
    <BR>
    My suggestion would be 500 mg histidine, 25-100 mg zinc, and a co-enzymated form of B6 (pyridoxal-5-phosphate or P-5-P, one per day). The supplements you were put on really do nothing to raise histamine. Niacin will cause the release of histamine from the mast cells, but that's like stomping on the gas pedal to get to the service station before you run out of gas! You have to have the nutrients that are foundational first. <BR>
    <BR>
    When you start getting a lot of symptoms like hay fever or itching, then you can back off if needed. Histamine is a powerful neurotransmitter and balancing it can be tricky, but very important as you are seeing.<BR>
    <BR>
    Jan<BR>
    <BR>
  4. rockyjs

rockyjs Member

Lilly, to increase the conversion of histidine to histamine you need zinc and B6. But taking too much histidine will override the effect since it stabilizes mast cells.<BR>
    <BR>
    My suggestion would be 500 mg histidine, 25-100 mg zinc, and a co-enzymated form of B6 (pyridoxal-5-phosphate or P-5-P, one per day). The supplements you were put on really do nothing to raise histamine. Niacin will cause the release of histamine from the mast cells, but that's like stomping on the gas pedal to get to the service station before you run out of gas! You have to have the nutrients that are foundational first. <BR>
    <BR>
    When you start getting a lot of symptoms like hay fever or itching, then you can back off if needed. Histamine is a powerful neurotransmitter and balancing it can be tricky, but very important as you are seeing.<BR>
    <BR>
    Jan<BR>
    <BR>
  5. lilly323

lilly323 New Member

Thanks Jan for your suggestion, we'll see what happens if I take only 500mg.
  6. bpmwriter

bpmwriter New Member

i thought histidine was the precursor to histamine in the body which would mean it would increase allergic symptoms rather than alleviate them? you may be interested in my recent post on histadelia.

eddie
  7. rockyjs

rockyjs Member

I have posted about this several times...taking histidine literally gave me my life back. I still have to take it every day to keep down the allergic responses (food, pollen, chemicals, etc) but the amount I take varies according to my total load.

The two brands I prefer are Montiff and Jo-Mar. You can find both on the internet. If you take histidine you do need about 15-20mg zinc for every 500mg of histidine.

Eddie, while high histamine can be a problem, especially in certain types of mental illness, there's a paradoxical effect in that the higher your blood levels of histidine, the slower the mast cells are to release histamines. For the conversion to take place it also requires zinc and B6, so for that reason I suggest that people keep their zinc levels adequate, but not high and avoid the histidine supplements that include B6 unless they are trying to use it to increase histamines (this is another topic, but it affects sexual function).

I have been using histidine for about 15 years now and even wrote a paper on it for my sports nutrition certification. It's an amazingly overlooked amino acid...many of my clients with IBS improved dramatically, too, since it decreases cytokine production in the intestines and increases calcium absorption which slows smooth muscle contraction.

Jan
  8. bpmwriter

bpmwriter New Member

thank you for clearing this up. so if i believe i have high histamine levels, i should try l-histidine? i'm guessing that the paradoxical effect is due to the fact that your body thinks you don't need the histamine if your blood histidine levels are high? i wonder if i would still experience high histamine release though after stretching or massage, which breaks up the mast cells and releases histamine regardless of histidine levels?? hmm, the plot thickens.

the connection to IBS is interesting as i've read that high histamine also contributes to the bladder problems seen in interstitial cystitis (i urinate frequently and often feel the urge to urinate even when my bladder is practically empty).

eddie<br>[<i>This Message was Edited on 01/20/2006</i>]
  9. rockyjs

rockyjs Member

I was really scared to try histidine years ago because my histamine levels were so high I would get internal hives from most foods and I had many of the symptoms of histidelia that you shared. If I was even in the same room with a strawberry I could get hives and my hay fever was so bad I couldn't drive because I would sneeze so many times in a row!

I had severe IBS and had to carry a change of clothes with me in case of an accident. Those with IBS know what I mean - it's a horrible way to live.

But probably the worst of all was the chemical sensitivities. I seldom left my home, my children couldn't even invite friends over because I'd react to the fragrances on their clothes, and I had what back then was referred to as environmental illness.

I first read about histidine being used to treat allergies in a book on amino acids written by a British doctor. He described the paradoxical reaction and I decided to give it a try.

It all went away once I started taking histidine. But even now, if I miss a few days' doses all those symptoms start returning. I have spoken to many researchers about it, and in my case it seemed to be a problem of too much free zinc in my system (histidine chelates zinc) causing the constant release of histamines.

The other bonus benefit was that my sensitivity to the mercury in my fillings disappeared. I had sores on my tongue where it touched back fillings and dentists were afraid to remove the fillings since I had such an awful reaction to them just scraping the surface. I have since had several filling removed with no reaction. Histidine has a strong affinity as a chelator for several metals including zinc, nickel and mercury.

One other very important factor in the high histamine picture is dietary oils. Certain chains of fatty acids contribute to the formation of prostaglandins. In my case I was making too much PGE1 which is anti-inflammatory in smaller amounts, but can cause allergic reactions at higher levels. By experimenting with oils in my diet I found that sunflower oil was the best for me - it didn't increase smooth muscle contraction (related to both IBS and mast cell release) but it had enough of the good fatty acids to keep me healthy. Even now just a small amount of olive oil will cause me to have heightened food sensitivities and abdominal/uterine/bladder cramping.

It has taken me years of experimenting and research to find all these correlations, and if I hadn't contracted West Nile I would be living quite a normal life. Actually the histidine probably helped save my life when I had encephalitis because it definitely decreased the brain swelling.

Let me know if you try it -

Jan

10. dreamharp

dreamharp New Member

Jan, I have to tell you that it was all your prior posting
    on histidine that got me all excited about trying it for
    my allergies. I love reading your posts and you always provide
    very valuable information!Thank you for posting on this
    thread and letting everyone know about histidine.

Sincerely,

Dreamharp
  11. kch64

kch64 New Member

This is good information.

How did you find out you had too much "free zinc" in your system?

Just curious

Kendra
  12. rockyjs

rockyjs Member

Kendra,

I was working with a prominent prostaglandin researcher at the time and don't even remember all the tests, but labs can measure zinc in red blood cells, plasma, serum, and urine and I think there is a test for bound versus free zinc (probably involving metallothionein).

When I take zinc my immune system goes nuts - severe pain, hives, diarrhea, hayfever, brain swelling, etc. But if I take it along with histidine I'm okay, so we were sure that I didn't have enough histidine to help with metallothionein formation and the free zinc caused the reactions.

On the other hand, not getting enough zinc while on histidine can cause constipation, stuffy nose and a greater susceptibility to bacterial infections and viruses, so it is very important to get some zinc every day along with histidine.

Jan

13. bpmwriter

bpmwriter New Member

do you have an opinion on using vistaril for a histamine imbalance?

eddie
  14. dreamharp

dreamharp New Member

15. rockyjs

rockyjs Member

Those in nursing will remember Vistaril being commonly used in labor and delivery many years ago. It was combined with Demerol to help with the itching and allergic response that people often get from opiates. It also helped with nausea. It does cause drowsiness and carries a caution about driving.

I haven't seen that used in years...now the preferred antihistamine is Benadryl. I have never tolerated antihistamines and even prednisone caused a lot of problems for me. That's why I was so excited to find histidine. It didn't cause drowsiness, racing heart and brain, or have the long-term side effects of prednisone like cataracts and osteoporosis.

Jan
  16. kch64

kch64 New Member

Sounds like you may even be allergic to Zinc itself.

I'm going to keep coming back to this post and checking it out. I may try the L-histidine one day.

thanks.
    Kendra
  17. Rhyan

Rhyan New Member

even though I have bi-poler I still take L-Histidine. I cant live with my allergies any other way. I have a number of medical conditions. most are helped with the L-Hisidine and so I will continue to take it. I have RA and well as MS and sever allergies. Having said all of that I watch the amount of L-Histidine I take because I am worried about my mental health as well. I will take it for 3 weeks out of a month and then not take it for 4 or 5 days. It has worked so far and my Bi-poler is under control.
  18. jaminhealth

jaminhealth Well-Known Member

can take a powerful antioxidant; grape seed extract but it got rid of my allergies/sinus issues, been taking it for 17 yrs and I keep well.....grape seed reduces histimines in the body. Does much more too.&lt;BR&gt;
    &lt;BR&gt;
    Check about interactions if you take meds....jam&lt;BR&gt;
    &lt;BR&gt;
    Have you considered LDN for the MS? I've tried LDN but didn't work for me but understand those with MS do well with it....my sis is challenged with MS but never tried the LDN, I tried....
  19. Hertsman

Hertsman New Member

Dear Jan, re your post on histidine. Very impressed with your knowlege and wondered if you could please help me. For many years I have lost almost all sensitivity in the penis. I also suffer with lower back pain, fatigue, cold hands, cold feet, depression, muscle pains. My doctor has not been helpful. They did lots of blood tests and could only find low vitamin d and slightly slow testosterone. She gave me testosterone patches which improved my erections but did nothing for the sensitivity issue. My vitamin D level is now normal according to my doctor. She still won't allow me to see a urologist. I am suffering from delayed ejaculation, sometimes it will take me up to an hour to ejaculate. Obviously this has put a great strain on my relationship and I've really gone off sex altogether. I've read that men with low histamine levels often suffer with delayed ejaculation. How do I go about increasing my histamine levels? How much l-histidine should I take per day and should I also take zinc and b6 and if so how much? Please any help greatly appreciated, really desperate for help. To be honest I really don't want to go on living, I've suffered for so many years.
  20. rockyjs

rockyjs Member

I was trying to find an article by Durk Pearson and Sandy Shaw (Life Extension founders) which goes into detail about this, but haven't turned it up yet. &lt;BR&gt;
    &lt;BR&gt;
    In general, the treatment would be 500 mg histidine, 50 mg zinc and 50 mg of Pyridoxal 5' Phosphate or P-5-P which is an active form of B6. The zinc and B6 push the histidine toward forming histamines. Even eating foods high in histamines can help: http://histame.com/histamine-rich-foods-substances Many of these foods are historically considered aphrodesiacs for that reason.&lt;BR&gt;
    &lt;BR&gt;
    If you are taking any antihistamines or anti-depressants on a regular basis, that could be contributing. But I would suspect nerve damage in the lower thoracic or the lumbar region because of your other symptoms. Can you get a referral to a neurologist so you can get a MRI? &lt;BR&gt;
    &lt;BR&gt;
    Jan
  21. jaminhealth

jaminhealth Well-Known Member

A lot of your symptoms sound like low thyroid too. When I was struggling with my thryoid back in 2001, I had a male friend who we shared our thyroid help with. It's a constant fine tuning of the thyroid and one must first get on a thyroid support, I've been taking Armour since 2002.&lt;BR&gt;
    &lt;BR&gt;
    I just did a search of: Sexual Function and Grape Seed Extract and found a lot of info.....&lt;BR&gt;
    &lt;BR&gt;
    Grapeseed never ceases to amaze me. I 'm on it 17 yrs.&lt;BR&gt;
    &lt;BR&gt;
    Thinking about Mrs Clinton and her blood clot, my mind went to if she had been taking grape seed ex, she MAY not have gotten the blood clot, this antioxidant keeps our blood thin....now she's in the hospital and MD's are treating her with blood thinners....&lt;BR&gt;
    &lt;BR&gt;
    Grape Seed Ex keeps the blood moving thru our circulatory systems.
  22. OKAJH

OKAJH New Member

This is a really interesting thread! &lt;BR&gt;
    One thing I am confused about is that I take antihistamines for chronic hives, so why would I want to make more histamine?&lt;BR&gt;
    —also—&lt;BR&gt;
    I am miserable…I've had mystery hives since before Christmas. I got 2 steroid shots, 2 Kenalog shots, and a week of Prenisone (made me go up a pants size!!) &lt;BR&gt;
    I currently take Zantac 2x daily, Zyrtec 1x daily, hydroxyzine as needed (doesn't really work anymore and has crappy side effects), Flonase, and sometimes Benadryl so I can sleep through at least part of the night. I've tried Benadryl cream, Lanacaine, Cortaid, Aveeno baths, tea tree oil, Caladryl, and baking soda concoctions. Nothing works.&lt;BR&gt;
    The doctors seem to think that urticaria is something I need to tough out, and that intense itching isn't really a medical issue. As I'm sure you know, it really interferes with life! I can't get in to see the dermatologist until mid-February, and they are spreading every day. I'd seriously rather have a root canal. &lt;BR&gt;
    If this histidine stuff works, it'll be a Godsend. How long did it take before it started working for you?&lt;BR&gt;
    Thanks for all your insight!&lt;BR&gt;
    Itchy Okie
  23. rockyjs

rockyjs Member

I noticed some relief within a few hours. If I get hives on my tongue and sprinkle the powder directly on my tongue it lets up in minutes. I used to get hives in my mouth, throat and stomach. &lt;BR&gt;
    &lt;BR&gt;
    Even though histamines are made from histidine, as your blood levels increase, the conversion decreases and the mast cells quit releasing the histamines. The conversion is facilitated by zinc and B6, so if you're taking those supplements, you're increasing histamines. You need some of each, but not as much as would be in single supplements. &lt;BR&gt;
    &lt;BR&gt;
    During allergy season I take much more...up to a teaspoon of powder a day. This time of year I need much less unless I eat something I'm allergic to. &lt;BR&gt;
    &lt;BR&gt;
    If you're taking all those things for allergies and STILL have itching, then it sounds like a systemic issue. Have your doctors looked into that? Here's a good article from American Family Physician. If you do a search on &quot;pruritus&quot; you'll see many other medical resources about it:&lt;BR&gt;
    http://www.aafp.org/afp/2011/0715/p195.html&lt;BR&gt;
    &lt;BR&gt;
    If Prednisone didn't help, then histidine may not help because it works by naturally increasing your own cortisol levels. &lt;BR&gt;
    &lt;BR&gt;
    Jan&lt;BR&gt;
    &lt;BR&gt;
  24. OKAJH

OKAJH New Member

Jan,&lt;BR&gt;
    Thanks for the reply! &lt;BR&gt;
    What does &quot;systemic&quot; mean? Something that is wrong within my body? The dermatologist did a biopsy of one of the hives 2 years ago—the results were that it was a hive, nothing more. I really wish I could figure out the trigger! Last time I about took my dog's cyclosporine...hope it doesn't come to that, ha.&lt;BR&gt;
    My doctors haven't looked into anything seriously...they just inject/stuff me full of steroids. The shot lasts a day or so, and the pills worked for the most part for the week I was on them. I don't really want to try any more steroids as I went up a pants size in under a week and a half, and so soon before my insurance physical! I'm really frustrated. I can't get anyone to listen to me about the itching/hives/weight gain. I feel pretty helpless—I can handle pain, but not itch! And I usually don't believe the hype about vitamins and &quot;natural&quot; stuff...it never ever works for me, but at this point I'll try anything. The local health food store has some histidine on order, and I'm praying it works/helps. I'll let you know :)&lt;BR&gt;
    Thanks again!