l theanine, a safe alternative to Klonopin

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mbofov, Mar 18, 2008.

1. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Dr. Cheney says that people with CFIDS suffer from excitatory neurotoxicity, their neurons are too easily stimulated and fire much too easily, and that GABA inhibits such stimulation. He prescribes Kolonopin to deal with this over-stimulation; however, l-theanine, a simple amino acid derived from green tea, actually helps the brain produce more GABA, very safely and effectively dealing with the overstimulation. It has no bad side effects and no potential for dependency.

I think it could be used in place of Klonopin, and probably could be used by people who are trying to wean themselves from Klonopin. It is really very calming, but does not drug you.

Here’s a link to more information re l-theanine (there’s tons of information if you do a google search): http://www.web-us.com/l-theanine_anxiety_reducer.htm

And no, even though l-theanine is derived from green tea, l-theanine itself has no caffeine.

[This Message was Edited on 03/18/2008]
  2. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I've been taking it for three or four years, after I first read about it. There have been several posts by others as well.

I take 200 mg. about an hour before bed, and another 100 mg. if I have trouble going back to sleep in the middle of the night.

My brother-in-law who drives a truck and has weird hours likes it very much, and I just gave some to my brother who's been diagnosed with I think it's RSD (I forget the right name), anyways, it's exacerbated by an over-active flight/fight response, and he likes the l-theanine very much as well. He was looking for natural alternatives as he's not crazy about the drugs the doctors have him on.

In Japan they spike a lot of products with it, it's supposed to produce a state of calm alertness, so you can take it during the day - it won't knock you out. But it does help me with sleep.

It helps produce alpha waves, which I know aren't sleep waves, but it does help me sleep anyways. These are the same brain waves generated in meditation.

Give it a try - it really is amazing stuff --

3. Catseye

Catseye Member

I've been taking it, too, for over a year now. It's just one of the many amino acids I take every day. I also take several others that are precursors to other neurotransmitters. Theanine is a precursor to GABA.

4. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

It's supposed to do the same thing to the brain as meditation.

I do like this one.
  5. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I don't think l-theanine has anything to do with serotonin levels. Because it increases your brain's production of GABA, I think it could decrease your need for klonopin.

You could ask your doctor, but I don't see any reason why you shouldn't try l-theanine along with the klonopin. I would try a small dose, of course, but check with your doctor.

6. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Have you ever had your cortisol levels tested? Mine were tested about 4 years ago, and my cortisol levels were generally elevated. It interfered with my sleep (caused middle of the night insomnia) and caused general edginess and irritability. I started taking Seriphos (phosphorylated serine, NOT the same as phosphatidyl serine), and it helped immediately. I felt calmer, less edgy and started sleeping better too.

Getting the dose right was trial and error, but I ended up starting wtih 8 capsules a day which was a lot, but it was what I needed. I found it was best to take it in the morning on an empty stomach in divided doses. After 6 months or so I cut back to 6 a day, and now just take 1 a day, sort of a maintenance dose.

The test I had was called the Adrenal Stress Index Test, a 24-hour saliva test. I think all people with CFIDS should have it done.

I know that many people with CFIDS have low cortisol, but many also have high levels, and for them the Seriphos is fantastic.

7. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

Thanks for this, Mary!

It's very timely for me. I need things to help me sleep, and have never wanted to take Klonopin.

8. CAAnnieB

CAAnnieB New Member

Do you think that this amino acid would function similarly to Lyrica? I've had great results from taking Lyrica (sleep & pain MUCH better, as well as general mood), BUT I don't like the weight gain/ swelling.

I've been wondering if there is a natural supp alternative that would function in the same ways as Lyrica?

Thanks for this info.

9. Bluebottle

Bluebottle New Member

I take l-theanine at night, it's in my melatonin tablets. I haven't had any side effects.
  10. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I don't know if l-theanine would function similarly to Lyrica. My brother who has RSD (reflex sympathetic dystrophy), which involves a lot of pain, is taking Lyrica and that's one of the drugs he wants to get off of. I know he tried l-theanine and liked it a lot, but I don't know if he's stopped the Lyrica.

I will talk to him soon and find out and let you know.

11. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I just talked to my brother. He's still on the Lyrica, but is also taking l-theanine, and plans to soon try backing off of the Lyrica a little, to see if his pain levels have gone down.

12. tansy

tansy New Member

and agree it calms but does not affect my concentration; if anything theanine improves it. there should not be any caffiene in l theanine supps as against green tea or green tea supps.

unlike klonopin it can be used on an as needed basis.

tc, tansy

13. Smurfette17

Smurfette17 New Member

My primary care doctor (not Lerner) just recommended this to help my sleep. Also, I am currently tapering off Ativan (very difficult bc my brain is now having more sensory overload without the Ativan) and I think L-theanine could help by replacing it.

Can anyone tell me how long it took to see results from it? Is it immediate? Does it take a few weeks to build up?

14. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

You should be able to feel results within about 20-30 minutes of taking it. Because it's an amino acid, it's best to take on an empty stomach.

And there's no potential for dependency like certain drugs. It's great stuff.

15. greatgran

greatgran Member

My doctor wants me to try theanine and not the l-theanine do you know if there is a difference. He also wants me to try L-tryptophan but I can't find the L-tryp. I can find the tryptophan , so he told me to eat a lot of turkey. I hope he didn't have the two mixed up cause I can't find the theanine but can find the L-theanine.

I have been eating a lot of turkey and it may be to soon but I have felt better.

I take xanax so it would be great if the theanine helped with my anxiety etc.

God bless,