L-theanine Questions

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by twerp, Feb 18, 2009.

1. twerp

twerp New Member

Hi All, I had read so much good information on L-theanine that I decided to purchase some and give it a try. I bought the Suntheanine type, 150MG. Took the first one yesterday afternoon, and it did not give the results I was hoping for. Specifically, it made me jittery and nervous, rather than calm.

Has anyone else experienced this effect? Did I take too large a dose? Can I open the 150MG capsules and take a portion of it instead of the whole thing?

I hate to give up on this so soon. I've been on Klonopin for years, and was hoping the L-theanine would help me to eliminate or reduce that.

2. twerp

twerp New Member

Kina, I take .25MG Klonopin at about 5:30AM, when I first get up, and then another .25MG at about 10AM, at work. That's it for the day. When I get home at 3PM, I usually have a little wine, which seems to do almost as much good as the K.

Anyway, yesterday I had the L-theanine in place of the wine. So, it was about 5 hours removed from my last dose of K.

The Suntheanine bottle says it's vegetarian and lists these additional ingredients: cellulose, purified water, silicon dioxide, rice powder, magnesium stearate, silica and soy. Do any of these ring any alarm bells with you?

Also, I've been taking K. for about 9 years now. Started at 1.5MG per day and now down to .5MG. That's pretty good, I think, but I'd rather get off it altogether if possible. It may not be possible; I realize that.

Jamin, Thanks for the tip about dissolving a little under my tongue. I'll give that a try. Just a small bit at first, to see if it's just a matter of dosage, or I just can't tolerate it at all.

I appreciate both your replies very much.

3. Waynesrhythm

Waynesrhythm Member

Hi Twerp,

The following website has some of the best information on benzodiazepine withdrawal I've come across.

There's been a number of threads on this board dealing with benzodiazepine withdrawal. The following is just one of them:

I myself was able to wean myself off of clonazepam over a period of approx. a year. I was beginning to feel I might have to go back on it, but then discovered microcurrent therapy (Alpha Stim). It has helped a lot with many of the neurological symptoms I deal with.

I've posted fairly extensively on my experience with Alpha-Stim. One of my main ones (fairly lengthy) can be accessed here:

Also, I noticed you didn't drink your normal glass of wine on the same day you first tried l-theanine. Perhaps that might have had something to do with the reaction you feel you got from the theanine.

Best, Wayne
  4. twerp

twerp New Member

I appreciate your replies very much.

Wayne, Thanks for the info on benzo withdrawal. I know it's a very difficult road, and I congratulate you on your success. I've never heard of Alpha Stim. I'll do a little research on that, and read your previous posts.

Kina, I had to smile at your comment about my missing my usual glass of wine. And you're probably right. It may have had more to do with that than with the L-theanine. As to why I would like to eliminate the Klonopin, I guess I'd just like to be able to say I'm not dependent on a drug, any drug. However, I guess I should look at it like I do my thyroid med. It's just something I have to take to feel more "normal". I know I can't do without it at this point. Would not be able to work, for sure.

As an experiment, I broke a capsule yesterday afternoon and put just a tad under my tongue. I did not experience the jittery feelings; however, I did indulge in my usual glass of wine. So, I guess I'll need to experiment further with that.

Again, thanks to you both for your replies. I really do appreciate them.

Hugs to both and have a great weekend,
  5. greatgran

greatgran Member

Sorry, I can't answer your question but wanted to share what my doc advised me to do on my last visit. He wanted me to take theanine not L-theanine and L-trytophan not just trytophan.
    I have just found these supplements but haven't taken either because he also but me on an antibiotic for a sinus infection I want to finish the antibiotic first. I take xanax every day, have for 7 years so hoping next week I will start the theanine or the L-trytophanand see how they do.

I an not sure what the difference is between the plain theanine and the L-theanine , the same with the trytophan. I like to try one thing at a time in case I have some side effect. I am scared on medicines , guess that is part of my anxiety.

I too am hoping these supplements will help me to reduce the xanax I take, if not guess I will be on it for the rest of my life. I take 1/4 mg 4 times a day.

Keep me posted and if you know the difference between the L-theanine and just theanine would love to hear from you.

When, I feel up to it, there is a herb shop I am going to go talk to the lady there and see if she has any input.

God Bless,