L Theanine

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by clerty, Aug 7, 2007.

1. clerty

clerty New Member

My Naturapth has put me on these.

Theanine, a flavor-enhancing element contained in green tea, is produced in the roots and moves into the leaves. Amino acids in this element, which produce mellowness, transform into an astringency element, catechins, when exposed to sunlight. The mild taste peculiar to tencha and gyokuro is brought about by reducing the sunlight.

L-Theanine: Is an amino acid naturally found in green tea that promotes relaxation without the drowsiness or negative side effects associated with other calming agents. L-Theanine also supports healthy cardiovascular function through this relaxing effect as well as its antioxidant properties.* Although theanine creates a feeling of relaxation, it doesn't shut down the brain. Studies on rodents show that theanine enhances the ability to learn and remember. By reducing worry, theanine appears to increase concentration and focus thought.

Theanine increases GABA, while caffeine decreases it. GABA doesn't just relax, it also creates a sense of well-being. Theanine's ability to increase this brain chemical can literally put you in a better mood. L-Theanine also increases levels of dopamine, another brain chemical with mood-enhancing effects.

Protects Brain Neurons : In studies on neurons in cell culture, theanine significantly reverses glutamate-induced toxicity. Studies show the same effect in rodents. Glutamate-induced neuro-toxicity is a major cause of degenerative brain disease.

Reduces High Plood Pressure: Chronic high blood pressure inflicts damage on the delicate cerebral vascular network and increases the risk of stroke. Theanine has been shown to help lower blood pressure.

Mood Modulator: Theanine readily crosses the blood-brain barrier and changes brain chemistry in a way that has been compared to aromatherapy. Studies show that theanine is a non-toxic, highly desirable mood modulator that can be enjoyed by everyone except babies.

Stress Reliever: The suggested dose of theanine to induce a state of relaxation is 100 mg. For those seeking a continuous mood elevating effect, we suggest that one theanine capsule be taken four times throughout the day.

What is L-theanine?

L-Theanine is an amino acid that helps promote a restful, relaxed state without diminishing daytime alertness, and without the side effects commonly associated with other relaxing agents.

Since ancient times, it has been said that drinking green tea brings relaxation. The substance that is responsible for this sense of relaxation is L-theanine.

L-theanine has shown the ability to promote deep muscle relaxation and improve good quality sleep. Even though L-theanine is found in green tea, it does not contain caffeine. L-theanine is simply one of the amino acids in green tea.

Preliminary research, which needs to be carried much further before more specific claims for benefits can be properly made, suggests that l-theanine may be helpful for the following applications:

improving learning performance, heightening mental acuity, and promoting concentration;
    acting antagonistically against high doses of caffeine;
    calming nervous agitation;
    lowering blood pressure;
    diminishing symptoms of PMS
    It has been indicated by laboratory studies that theanine produces these effects by increasing the level of GABA (gamma-amino-butyric acid), an important inhibitory neurotransmitter in the brain. GABA serves a sedative function that brings balance to excitability that can lead to restlessness, insomnia, and other disruptive conditions. Theanine also appears to increase levels of dopamine, another brain chemical with mood-enhancing effects, which can reduce blood pressure

2. clerty

clerty New Member

bump me !!
  3. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I've been taking l-theanine for a couple of years, 200 mg. before bed. It helps with sleep (along with everything else you wrote about), and there are no bad side effects, so it's a good thing your naturopath has you taking.

4. clerty

clerty New Member

that is all he will give me the now until he checks out various things like heavy metals and food allergies then he is going to see and will do some Osteopathic work on my neck.

5. tansy

tansy New Member

GABA cannoot be sold legally OTC in the UK but l-theanine can. Years ago I used GABA, now if I need it I take l-theanine instead.

It's amazing how many of the supps and non-pharmaceutical agents people with these DDs take, because it's beneficial to do so, are reported to protect the brain from neurotoxins.

TC, Tansy[This Message was Edited on 08/07/2007]
  6. Elisa

Elisa Member

Hi Clerty!

I just started taking l-theanine - via patch (Theramood) and supplement. How do you like it? Is it working for you?

It be interested to hear what you think of it!

God Bless,

[This Message was Edited on 07/11/2008]