L Theanine

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by crickett, Aug 2, 2012.

1. crickett

crickett New Member

I called over to my health food store and he recommend that I take this 200 mg at a time I think it's also sun Theanine in it 2 definitely is helping some but does not last long but I read on 1 website it lowers seratonin which i thought fibro/ Cfs / me wee low on??? Any input
  2. kbak

kbak Member

I tried taking the L-theanine, but it didn't settle me down, instead it keep me from sleeping well. If it's short acting, what good is it? I know that I'm short on seratonin. If it lowers it even more than it would be a hinderence not a help.

Take Care,
  3. neoplus1

neoplus1 Member

high or low neurotransmitters. For example, there are certain antidepressants that actually lower serotonin to lower depression and anxiety. It is all a matter of what part of the brain/nervous system the effect is taking place.

I drink green tea throughout the day and green tea is rich in l-theanine. For some people the effect is either non-existant or very short lived. There were a couple of other posts about Lemon Balm which is mild but apparently works pretty well according to some studies. Especially when it is combined with other things that have a similar effect.
  4. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

There are conflicting reports - some say it raises serotonin and some say it lowers it. See http://www.thorne.com/altmedrev/.fulltext/10/2/136.pdf - they all agree it produces alpha waves - a state of relaxation.

I take 200 mg. nightly before bed and it helps me with sleep. I am very sensitive to MSG, and if I accidentally eat something with MSG for dinner, it causes severe insomnia. I found that taking 300 to 400 mg. of l-theanine counteracts the MSG and lets me go to sleep.

I've been taking it for years with no bad side effects and highly recommend it.

Suntheanine is a trade name, supposed to be the best kind of commercially produced l-theanine.

5. crickett

crickett New Member

I started taking the suntheanine l theaine yesterday I am taking 8 capsules a day as I try to wing myself off of med that dr gave me when I take 2 100mg it does relax me but it is short lived??? But I like that it helps with mood and stress so I will continue to take this and see what happens I also read that it helps support adrenal gland thats another plus I need all the help I can get