L Tryptophan and 5Htp

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by FaithHopeCure, Apr 1, 2012.

1. FaithHopeCure

FaithHopeCure New Member

Hi, I am new to this message board but not new to fibro. I have suffered for 10 years and have tried everyting! My fibro started when I had severe endometriosis and infertility treatments. I finally had my biological miracle child through a surrogate carrier and then had a complete hysterectomy. Thats when my fibro kicked in full gear and I was in a tremendous amount of pain! I went on bio-identical hormones which helped, but the migrianes and fibro coninued. I have tried nearly all physical therapies and nearly all prescription meds. They have helped a little but then they lose any effect after a few months. I am currently on Zoloft and weaning off of it. Once I have stopped the Zoloft, I would like to try the Prohealth Fibro Freedom that has 5HTP in it and the Fibro Sleep and the Prohealth Peaceful Sleep which has GABA in it (btw I have tried Lyrica and Neurontin which helped but too many side effects and too little relief). I do take all my vitamin B's and vitamin D which are key supplements for fibro.

I have tried Trytophan for sleep but it didn't work (maybe I didn't take enough). My question is do you need to take 5Htp and Tryptophan together? Because tryptophan is a precurser to 5Htp which converts to serotonin? Or can I take the 5Htp for better mood and sleep?

[This Message was Edited on 04/01/2012]
  2. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

You don't need to take 5-htp and tryptophan together. You can take 5-htp alone, I've been taking it for several years. It helped me a lot with sleep and mood. It's also much cheaper than tryptophan.

I think tryptophan might work as well but it's a lot pricier and I think you do have to take more tryptophan than 5-htp to get the same results.

I take 100 mg. of 5-htp at night. When I first started it, it gave me a moderate headache for about a week and then stopped. I kept taking it because it was helping so much with sleep. I've had no other side effects.

I knew someone once who was on lexapro and got off of it due to side effects and started taking 5-htp and liked it much better.

I've also had good results with l-theanine, an amino acid which helps the brain produce GABA. I think l-theanine actually crosses the blood-brain barrier more easily than GABA. But those sound like good products you are going to try.

Good luck !

3. FaithHopeCure

FaithHopeCure New Member

Thanks for the encouragement on the 5HTP! I have taken l-theanine in late afternoon when my anxiety and muscle aches are at their worse, but it does not help with my insomnia. I have done some more research on the GABA blood brain barrier question and started another post concerning the efficacy of GABA supplements.

According to Dr. Ginevra Liptan, author of Figuring out Fibromyalgia, it is deep sleep that we are so lacking. She shows studies of fibro patients spending as little as 4 minutes in deep sleep compared to 75 minutes in a non-fibro patient. And as most of us know, deep sleep is where our muscles and cells are repaired and growth hormones are released. GABA does help improve deep sleep, but now the question is does the supplement get past the blood brain barrier? See my next post for hopefully more answers from this wonderful community of people.
  4. luigi21

luigi21 Member

There are foods that contain dopamine, serotonin, noratriptyline, and gaba. may be worth adding them to your diet, the stomach absorbs vitamins from foods far better than supplements
  5. FaithHopeCure

FaithHopeCure New Member

Thank you for the info. This week I will be interviewing a nutritionist who has fibro and has done research about what foods to eat and stay away from. I will ask her about your suggestions.

I do believe eating well combined with supplements will make a difference. Something I haven't tried together. I also believe that our fibro nervous system depletes a lot of our deep sleep and therefore we function with an over stressed body and immune system. Therefore, supplements are needed to replenish and function at optimal levels.

Wish me luck! Next week my new eating and nutritional supplement plan will be in full gear. I am not looking for a miracle but just a reduction in pain and fatigue...I will let you know how it goes. :)