L-tryptophan question (anyone??)

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Scapper, May 29, 2006.

1. Scapper

Scapper New Member

OK, I've tried just about every natural sleep supplement to no avail.

You had mentioned that you take L-tryptophan and I was wondering what brand you use?

I saw another post here listing different tryptophan brands/prices, but the prices were pretty steep.

Just curious on your brand and cost?

thanks, scapper
    [This Message was Edited on 05/31/2006]
  2. elliespad

elliespad Member

Buttin in here. It was probably me who listed those other brands. The only one I do NOT recommend is Doctors Best, and it is CHEAP. Half of the others. But I had little/no sleep benefit and my brain was active and aggitated. I think it is not a pure source. I really do NOT recommend that particular brand.

Nokomis has good pricing lately, but BIOS, Litdke and Craig are really good too. You're going to pay between $40-$65 for a bottle.

I would say that, at least it is something that you will see immediate results with, that same night, so you don't have to take it for weeks or months to see if it is going to help.

BUT REMEMBER YOU MUST TAKE IT WITH B-6 FOR IT TO WORK RIGHT.

[This Message was Edited on 05/30/2006]
  3. elliespad

elliespad Member

4. Scapper

Scapper New Member

Elliespad -- thanks for your input. I looked back at the other post and Nokomis was cheaper by far. Would you recommend this brand?

My insomnia is relentless and I'm just getting sicker the longer I cannot sleep.

Is this the type supplement where the effects seem to lessen the longer you take it, in your experience?

I spoke with a rep at Lidtke and they said their source is pure/high quality. Hence the higher pricing. Since you've tried both, would you say it's worth the extra money?

Lots of questions, sorry :)

Thanks so much!!

scapper

[This Message was Edited on 05/31/2006]
  5. Scapper

Scapper New Member

bumping for any replies???
  6. Scapper

Scapper New Member

Doesn't anyone else use l-tryptophan?

I need sleeeeeeeeeeeeep :(
  7. Denamay

Denamay New Member

Dear Scapper,
    I use a product called TRYPTAN it is a Canadian brand.
    My doctor told me to take it along with a carbohydrate snack and vitamin B6. I have had limited results but I haven't got the dosage just right yet. Heres to a good night sleep. Denamay
  8. Denamay

Denamay New Member

9. 1sweetie

1sweetie New Member

Was this supplement banned a few years ago because of death? I think that was the name of the supplement that I was reading about yesterday in worstpills.org or if may have been another site (brain fog here).

I will try to find the info later if you want. I have to go to sleep now and I have appointments tomorrow.

The sites I were reading were consumer protection sites.
  10. elliespad

elliespad Member

Lidtke is Great. Nokomis brand is great. I have been using Nokomis for the past year. Must take with B-6 (I take P5P, activated B-6, as I cannot convert B-6 to the active form). Take away from other protein sources as the amino acids will complete for uptake in your brain. The B-6 is so conversion to Seratonin takes place in the brain, and not the intestines.

No, it does not loose effectiveness over time. I have recently added GABA too. You can easily buy a bottle of the GABA in the health food store while you are waiting for your L-Tryptophan to come. Costs about $10. I take one or two at night, again away from other protein sources.

These are okay to take together. If you take other AntiDepressants or AntiAnxiety type drugs, I would run it by your doc first. I still take 10 mg of Doxepin. Used to take 125 mg until I was prescribed the Tryptophan.

I Hope it helps you as much as it has me:)
    [This Message was Edited on 06/01/2006]
  11. victoria

victoria New Member

There were a couple of deaths in late 1980s due to a contaminated lot from one factory in Japan. The FDA used this as an excuse to ban it until a few years ago despite them finding this out, then allowed it by RX only until last year.

So it was not the fact of taking L-tryptophan, it was the fact that one mfr's lot was contaminated.

hope this helps. L-tryptophan works much bettr for me for insomnia/sleep-onset than 5-htp.

Victoria

12. matthewson

matthewson New Member

Have you tried the ZMA from this site? It contains zinc, magnesium and B-6 and I have found it to work really well for sleeping. It makes me sleepy so that I can fall asleep which was my worst problem. You might want to give it a try.

Take care, Sally
  13. spasco

spasco New Member

I do know that if you get the wrong L-Tryp. it can be very dangerous. Most people prefer 5-HTP as it is safer and many say it works better. Walmart sells it fairly cheap. I am taking 4 per night, with 4 Melatonin, Homeopathic remedies for sleep, muscle relaxers, and Celestial Seasonings Sleepy Time Tea. I cna't take Valerian because I am on Lyrica, but the Celestial Seasonings Sleepy Time Extra has Valerian and works quite well too.

From time to time I have to take Benedryl also, but not too often because it can increase Restless Legs Syndrome. I am still trying to find a way to sleep well without prescriptions, but at the present time, I continue to wake up repeatedly.

God bless! Stephanie
  14. julieisfree05

julieisfree05 New Member

There is a lot of misconception about the safety of tryptophan and I'd like to clear it up.

L-tryptophan is an amino acid that is a precursor to Serotonin. People with low serotonin levels may have problems with depression, sleep, overeating, pain perception and a host of other problems. L-tryptophan has been used for centuries to treat these problems.

Right before Prozac was about to be approved, a company called Showa Denko (sp?) started using a new fermentation process to manufacture L-tryptophan. The batches from this new process that got into the US made some people very ill and some of them died.

My neurologist TREATED some of the people who took this "contaminated" batch. The FDA recommended treatment was GOOD L-tryptophan.

The US government was FULLY aware that the problem was not L-tryptophan itself, but rather the new fermentation process that this one company had tried. Instead of banning L-tryptophan that was made using this new process, the US government banned ALL L-tryptophan.

There is some speculation that it was done under pressure from the company that was about to start marketing Prozac. Coincidence? You make the call...

5-htp is one of the two substances that L-tryptophan "breaks down" into once it is in the body. I can't remember the name of the other one right now.

5-htp is a pre-cursor to serotonin.

There is some evidence that the second "breakdown" product of L-tryptophan may INHIBIT serotonin production. If you want to try to increase serotonin levels, 5-htp, rather than L-tryptophan, may be a better choice since it doesn't have the second "breakdown" product in it.

If you are using 5-htp OR L-tryptophan, BE CAREFUL of using other medications, usually anti-depressants, that can increase serotonin levels. This can lead to a deadly condition known as "serotonin syndrome" - where the body gets TOO MUCH serotonin.

If you want to try L-tryptophan in the US, the best place to get it is usually from a "compounding pharmacy", because you will always get the exact pharmaceutical grade amount in each capsule/tablet that you are supposed to be getting. Since it is an amino acid, it is NOT regulated by the FDA, and the quality and/or amount in each dose can vary. There are companies that make a good product, and others on this board can comment on that better than I can.

I hope this is helpful.

- julie (is free!)

When you're going through Hell, keep going!
    - Winston Churchill
  15. victoria

victoria New Member

NO L-tryptophan is dangerous... unless it is contaminated obviously; the FDA really hyped this to the max originally to get it off the market.

UNLIKE when those poisonings happened to Tylenol... notice it was never taken off the market, they were allowed to put it back on as soon as better packaging was done...

but with L-tryptophan, even tho that company in Japan did fix things and no other company had any contamination problems, they used it as a reason to take it off the market.

Not only that, there are quite a few deaths from Tylenol from unwitting overdosing because it is added to so many things - cold remedies, antihistamines, etc.... nobody is causing a flap over this.

all the best,
    Victoria

[This Message was Edited on 06/02/2006]
  16. spiritsky

spiritsky Member

I use doctors best. I know Elliespad hasn't had any great success with it but since it is so cheap I tried it out and it works fine for me. I do have to take it 2hr's before bedtime for it to work right, and I just take 750mg nightly along with 500mg Gaba and 1mg melatonin at bedtime.

Another thing that has helped a great deal is a sleep mask. The one I have blocks out all light even when the lights are on. It's great and I rarely wake anymore at 3 or 4am.
  17. Scapper

Scapper New Member

Thanks so much for all your input. I'll give this a try -- something has to give with my inability to fall asleep!!!

Tried Gaba, did nothing.

THANKS AGAIN :)
  18. Scapper

Scapper New Member

OK, since cost is a major factor here, I found L-Tryptophan from Source Naturals for $24. Now we'll see if it's effective.

BTW, how far away from protein does it have to be?

This search is exhausting and without you all, I'd be lost!!