l-tryptophan, serotonin and wellbutrin question

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by krissy888, Dec 28, 2005.

1. krissy888

krissy888 New Member

Hello,
    I went to the doctor today. The SSRI's do not work for me. I asked her about l-tryptophan for serotonin and she said that it is not safe to take. Is this true? Does anyone benefit from this? What about 5-HTP? Which one works better?

She also prescribed me Wellbutrin. She said it might help with energy. Anyone else take this for energy?

One other thing that my doc doesn't seem to have an answer for is that I was on Paxil for anxiety about 4 years ago and I went off of it but then something traumatic happened in my life. I went back on it and it did not work. She boosted the dosage and it still did not work. Since then I have been on Zoloft, Lexapro, Celexa, Effexor, Cymbalta, Buspar. None of these work at all. My Reproductive Immunologist checked me for serotonin antibodies and I do not have these either. He put me on St. Johns Wort and this does not seem to be helping either. Do you think that I am immune to these or something else is going on? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
    [This Message was Edited on 12/28/2005]
  2. elliespad

elliespad Member

I have been using L-Tryptophan 1500 mg at night for about 4 or 5 years. This was initially prescribed me by Dr. David Gersten, MD., a Neurologist and Psychyiatrist practicing in California. I use it for sleep and for pain. It is also good for anxiety and depression. It must be taken with B-6 so conversion to Seratonin takes place in the brain, not the intestines. Also, take away from other protein sources. I have NEVER had ANY side effects.

There was an outbreak of 1500 who developed Eosinopelia Myalgic Syndrome. The symptoms are basically identical to CFS/FIBRO but more severe, sometimes causing death. The culprit turned out to be a contaminated batch of Tryptophan. The ban by the FDA came in the EXACT same week that PROZAC was introduced to the market. Coincidence? Maybe. Read on.........

The FDA banned tryptophan on March 22, 1990. Within four days, March 26, 1990, Newsweek featured a lead article praising the virtues of the brand new anti-depressant drug, Prozac. Its multi-color cover displayed a floating, gigantic green and white capsule of Prozac with the caption: “Prozac: a breakthrough drug for depression.”

The fact that the FDA ban of tryptophan and the Newsweek Prozac cover story occurred within four days of each other went unnoticed by both the media and the public. Yet to those who understand the effective properties of tryptophan and Prozac, the concurrence seems unbelievably coincidental. One possible explanation for this can be found in a report by the FDA Dietary Supplement Task Force on June 15, 1993. It had been working on developing FDA policy toward nutritional supplements. On page two, the report states, “The Task Force considered various issues in its deliberations; including … what steps are necessary to ensure that the existence of dietary supplements on the market does not act as a disincentive for drug development.”

Clinical depression is a very serious condition and treatment through medication is often the right and prudent action to take. However next time a doctor wants to write a prescription for an anti-depressant, you may wish to suggest a prescription for tryptophan, and then find a compounding pharmacist who can supply it. Or you could simply … have another piece of turkey and a glass of warm milk.