Lab and Dx tests that prove disability?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by chopindog, Feb 27, 2006.

1. chopindog

chopindog New Member

Hi all! I have now been disabled do to the DD for 17 months. I am receiving LTD insurance from Unum provident, but they have a clause that says at two years they will drop me from my LTD because my illness is a "self explained illness." I have no doubt that at this point there is no way I could work any job. I am way to sick way to much. The meds help but not enough for me to be able to maintain a job. I go for days sometimes without even being able to leave the house!

I am so afraid that I will lose the LTD and will not be approved for SSDI. I don't know what would happen to me! As for now I don't have health care insurance. I have my application in for medicaid, but no answer yet. I have to pay all medical costs out of my pocket.

I am writing to ask all of you if there were certain labs, and dx tests that you have found that do in fact prove you are disabled. We all no that the regular tests often say we are fine, when we are far from fine.

Any disability insurance and ssdi help and info would be greatly appreciated. I hope to get better! But I am so afraid of what will happen to me if I don't and I can't get help. What if I end up homeless or something. It is just all so scary and frustrating! I wish I would just get better so I could go back to work and not have to worry!

Love, Joy
  2. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

how long ago did you applied for ssdi? have you contact your cngressman's office for a congressional inquiry? they can help speed it along..

did ou check w/colorado to see if there is any health insurance programs for people who are on ltd? california they do have something like that....

check out you local county for help w/rent, section 8 vouchers...help for people who are disabled ...i had to do this stuff...churches for help w/rent and food,

iknow this so sucks since you have worked so hard for everythig yu have...thank goodness you are younger and maybe in a few years they will have that cure we al desperately want...

hugs to you and yu know where to come for some more help

jodie
  3. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

Get copies of all your medical records (they should state you have FM? CFS, right?)as far as you can see tell of your illness. Apply for SSDI now, the process can be lenghty. Keep names of all and everyone who have seen you ill, like employers, LTD, family, etc. The more documentation the better. You can download applications from online, get started right away, read thru what they want. I hope someone else that knows about the process can tell you more. And you can apply for housing assistance right now, don't wait. DSHS is always there if you end up on your butt like me, I could not have done without them, and I am not too proud to say no, I have to for the sake of my 2 little ones! Good luck!
  4. TXFMmom

TXFMmom New Member

Well, first of all there are tests.

Look at the thyroid and other endocrine tests.

If you have numbness and sciatica or pain from your neck into your arms or hands or into your legs, then EMG STUDIES CAN SHOW THE NERVE IMPAIRMENT.

THEY CANNOT REFUTE THAT.

IF SLEEP IS ONE OF YOUR REAL PROBLEMS, AS IN YOU HAVE TROUBLE GOING TO SLEEP OR GETTING TO SLEEP AND THEN YOU GET UP FEELING LIKE YOU HAVEN'T BEEN ASLEEP, GET A SLEEP LAB.

MOST OF US, I KNOW I DO, HAVE NON-RESTORATIVE SLEEP, PERIODIC LEG MOVEMENT, AND DEVELOPED SLEEP APNEA AFTER GAINING WEIGHT. THAT IS ONE OF THE BEST TESTS EVER TO PROVE YOUR FATIGUE AND FOG. IT IS SCIENTIFIC, CAN'T BE FAKED, AND THE EVIDENCE AND SCIENCE IS IRREFUTABLE. I AM REALLY SURPRISED I CAN REMEMBER THAT WORD, AS I AM REALLY BAD RIGHT NOW.

Get MRI's, if you have back or neck problems, as disc and other problems are often part of it.

There are tests that physical therapists give on physical abilities and mental dexterity, but I cannot remember the names. It used to take two days, but I don't know how they do it now.

There are tests which measure the metabolism of muscles, and we all have disturbed muscular metabolism which can be demonstrated. I am not sure who does those tests, but they can be done.

There is no specific test for FM, but don't let them tell you there are no tests for some of the things which occur with it.

Get some of those tests. They will help you and keep them from saying it is a self disease.

I have UNUM and they are like this politician from Mississippi which said that after Katrina, he felt that there should be a national registry of sex offenders and insurance executives. UNUM would be right up there with them.

Perhaps, the FM Society, or whatever it is called, may be able to give you some guidance, as well.

I just got this crytic letter from UNUM and they probably have a private investigator following me. GOOD LUCK. I personally have no spine left. BAd cervicals from C2-3, and the thoracics are bad and all the lumbar and I need a spine transplant.

Not to mention everything else.

I am not in the mood for them, believe me.

I think I am going to send them a note telling them they can look at my MRI's anytime they want and FIND A REPUTABLE DOCTOR TO SAY ANYTHING GOOD ABOUT THEM, MUCH LESS MY SLEEP LAB. MY SLEEP DOC SAID NO NURSING BOARD OR MALPRACTICE COMPANY WOULD EVER ENSURE ME, WITH THAT SLEEP DISTURBANCE, AND HE COULDN'T SIGN ANY LICENSE RENEWAL.

I would have to commit suicide rather than try to work, as I would never be able to pass going to refresher. No way.

I was intelligent as in IQ of 170. NOw, days, I am retarded, no kidding. Some days, I can't think of even simple things. I couldn't think of the word salt the other day. I had to say the white stuff you put on food. It was really, really depressing and sad. From a waht you call someone with that IQ, and I can't come up with the word, to a retarded person. Very depressing and sad. I was very able. Top of my field. Now, I can't remember what my doctors tell me without writing it down.

Get as many of the tests as possible, and they will back down. Once doctors have these sophisticated things in front of you, all of a sudden they give you respect.
  5. obrnlc

obrnlc New Member

hi joy--i have nothing to offer but support, as i am in your shoes and dealing with the same rotten evil company! Please get a copy of your exact contract, see what you have actually signed, as far as a self-reporting illness, that is fairly new, so it may not apply to you, CALL THEIR BLUFF and get ALL RECORDS pertaining to you from them. <P> I fully understand what you mean about it would be so much easier just to go back to work if able, why would we put ourselves thru this crap for a fraction of what we used to make! <P> I personally had the ultimate job that i loved so much (labor/delivery rn) that i would do it for free if i could just to still be involved with it! My work schedule was the best on the unit (3 12hr shifts, every other weekend starting at 7pm SATURDAY night, never more than 2 days in a row) and now i sit and cry when i watch the learning channel baby story's, just to be see the miracles i was actively involved in every day! <P> This company will spend more on trying to prove us liars than to just pay us, and you also have to watch what you sign in regards to ssdi payback. Have they tried to fix you up with genex yet? that is their company of lawyers to get you ssdi, now that i have been terminated by U, genex says they will still represent me but it has been 15 months and they never even contact me.<P>In reading other posts on this thread, the level of frustration sickens me that we could be discriminated against so blatantly and no one will stand up for us, and it is hard to stand up for ourselves, even for a trip to the grocery store! Even my docs won't recognize that if i can do something for an hour or so in a day, WHO would hire a person that could only work at her own pace, on unpredictable days, etc> I feel so badly for TX who had to give up her nursing license and then get hassled from this company about that, for being honest! <P> so, forgive my rant, sorry i couldn't help, but know that you are not alone, and it might take a bunch of grocery carts to hold us all up, but we will "stand" with you in support! Take care--L