Lab contamination? XMRV & polio vaccine monkey virus

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mbofov, Jun 27, 2011.

1. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

It is well-documented that the polio vaccine of the late 1950's and early 1960's was contaminated with a carcinogenic monkey virus known as SV40. The polio virus for the vaccine was grown using monkey kidney cells, which caused the contamination of the vaccine with the monkey virus.

There's a very interesting article in Atlantic magazine ( which tells the story of finding SV40 in mesothelioma tumors. It was believed that asbestos was the primary cause of mesothelioma, but studies around the world found the presence of SV 40 in those tumors. More than 40 studies have found SV40 in various human tumors.

The point of this post is that the official response from the NCI, based on the only 2 studies to get negative results, was that all that evidence above was the result of lab contamination. The NCI's study did not get the same results as everyone else, but of course they did not use the same techniques. Sound familiar?

Here's a quote from the Atlantic article re lab contamination.

"The idea that these tumor samples, tested in laboratories all over the world, were all contaminated, while all the controls remained negative, is ridiculous," he says. "There is no scientific evidence in support of contamination, and plenty of evidence to the contrary. Moreover, many labs have demonstrated SV40 using techniques other than PCR."

With no evidence whatsoever, the WPI XMRV study, like all the mesothelioma studies and dozens of other SV40 cancer studies, is accused of lab contamination by the medical powers that be. It seems that yelling "lab contamination" may just be standard operating procedure when undesirable results are obtained.

If you watch Annette Whittemore's interview (

you'll see that other labs who got negative results for XMRV did not follow the same procedures as WPI, just like the NCI and the mesothelioma study.

FWIW, some are suggesting that the great upsurge in cancer cases in the mid-1980's may be due to SV40, which it appears most people of a certain age are carrying. There is also evidence that it may have been transmitted from mother to child and through other avenues and may be linked to brain tumors in children, among other cancers.

2. deadtired

deadtired Member

I've often wondered why sv-40 has never been looked at as
    being involved, possible a cause of CFS. So I guess since
    SV-40 has been considered a lab contaminant, it will never
    be looked into, or seriously considered. I find it interesting all
    those ads on tv about mesothelioma, implicating asbestos. I
    always wonder if those with that disease ever know about the
    SV-40 virus causing their disease.
  3. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I think the reason SV40 has not been more seriously studied in connection with our epidemic of cancer, or CFS, etc. is because millions of Americans were infected with this virus through their polio vaccine and it looks like it is now being transmitted in other ways, possibly through the blood supply and mother to child, to name a few. So the implications of this are staggering. I was stunned when I read about SV40 and the polio vaccine - I only learned about this a week or 2 ago. I'd never heard of it before. The researcher who blew the whistle on this many years ago had her career trashed by the medical powers that be, her lab was taken away from her, etc. No one wanted to tell the public, and I think they still don't, what happened.

But I think you're right - it really seems that the characterization of the SV40 positive mesothelioma studies as being subject to lab contamination is just PR to discourage further research. If you read the Atlantic article I cited above, it shows many researchers questioning and refuting the NCI's stance on this whole matter, and in fact the paper written based on the NCI study was forced to change before publication as follows:

"The study now states that "laboratory contamination was unlikely to have been the source of SV40 DNA"found in human tumors in previous experiments (by Butel, Jasani, and the other participating labs)."

4. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Would you please add a link to this study as I want to go over it very carefully. I will also see if I can find it but you know how it can be when you're foggy. :>)

5. gapsych

gapsych New Member

At first read, I didn't see your link which provides valuable information about this subject. I have selected a few relevant quotes.

Sounds like the same type of study as Lipkin/BWG which will hopefully give us a definitive answer about XMRV.

Take care.

"Epidemiology Studies

Over the last four decades, an intense research effort has been made to determine whether this route of exposure to SV40 has caused health problems in people, including cancer. Epidemiology studies involving decades of observations in the United States and Europe have failed to detect an increased cancer risk in those likely to have been exposed to the virus. These include a long-term Swedish study, which followed 700,000 people who received SV40-contaminated vaccine (7), a German study with 22 years of follow-up of 886,000 persons who received the contaminated vaccine as infants (8), a 20-year study of 1,000 people in the United States inoculated during the first week of life with contaminated vaccines (9), and a 30-year follow-up of approximately 10 percent of the entire U.S. population (using data from the National Cancer Institute's Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results registry) (10). The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention finds no evidence that SV40-contaminated vaccine lots cause cancer (11)."

"In order to resolve why some laboratories detect traces of SV40 in mesothelioma while others do not, an International SV40 Working Group, which included the majority of laboratories studying SV40 in human tissues, was formed in 1997. Nine laboratories from the working group agreed to participate in a study, funded and organized by the National Cancer Institute (NCI). Each group was given 25 paired-duplicate samples of human mesotheliomas, a single set of 25 normal lung tissue samples, and positive and negative control samples. All the samples were blinded (labeled so that the human tumors and controls could not be distinguished) and each laboratory used its particular assay for detecting SV40, many of which had been used to detect SV40 previously. The results, published in the May 2001 issue of Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers and Prevention (36), showed that none of the mesothelioma specimens was consistently positive for SV40. Although methods in the study appeared to perform well on the control samples, additional methods that can be used widely and easily to detect the presence of SV40 DNA in human tissues are needed."

6. skeptik2

skeptik2 Member

Posting to FB. Very good information to share.