Lab report, not so good

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by gb66, Dec 10, 2012.

1. gb66

gb66 Active Member

I just had my 6 months bloodwork done last week and my cholesterol, thyroid, and A1C blood sugar tests have all gone up.

Cholesterol went from 279 to 318, TSH from 4.18 to 5.78, A1C from 5.8 to 6.0.

I really expected better results. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I'm not overweight and I've been following a moderately low carb eating plan, but it is higher in protein to compensate for the reduction in carbs. I guess this is bad for the cholesterol.

The thing that makes me upset is that I have to go on medications for cholesterol and thyroid at this point and I'm afraid of side effects. I have major issues with medication side effects on almost everything I take, even antibiotics.

I feel overwhelmed right now. Wish I hadn't had the bloodwork done during the holidays. It's so depressing. Thanks for letting me vent. I could use some help. GB66
  2. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Active Member

I know nothing about thyroid so can't help you there. Do a big time search on the cholesterol and what you can do naturally. My husband and also SIL were on cholesterol meds......they're bad. My son also has very high cholsterol even though he's a vegetarian....go figure. He's cut out cheese, butter and eats a lot of veggies and he goes to the gym though not enough.

Do you exercise? My SIL takes red rice yeast but even though that's natural the doctor said your cholesterol still needs to be checked when on it. And check into fish oil. I believe that's good for lowering it.
  3. gb66

gb66 Active Member

I would think your son would not have high cholesterol from everything I've read about the dietary cause. Nothing makes sense, does it. I eat a little more protein and cheese since being diabetic and that's not good for cholesterol.

I don't know how to balance it. One diet cancels out the other it seems. I really don't want to go on any of those meds. I have very bad reactions to most all meds. I'm at a loss as to what to do next.

I can't exercise at all with the severe fibro, arthritis, CFS, and pelvic prolapse. Wish I could. I used to love the stationary bike and water aerobics but can't do them anymore. GB66
  4. deepak

deepak Member

I am reading books by Dr John Mcdougall, who apparently has Bill clinton following his diet now! Many videos and books by him online - he says the western high protein diet is BAD and advocates much more starch,

One book is called - The starch solution.

Pretty interesting.

Love,
    Deepak
  5. PITATOO

PITATOO Member

Your A1C is still in the good range. What were your triglycerides? What was your HDL which if it is high can offset total Cholesterol. If you have FM a stain drug may not be a good choice as it can cause muscle pain. I refuse to take it even though my Dr. asks me to about twice a year. My last was 151 and he wants me to take a statin, but my HDL went up so ratio is good, plus this was not a fasting test. Krill oil is good for raising HDL and lowering the bad. It upsets my stomach or I would take it, tried many times.

If you do end up taking a statin please take COQ10. It's hard to say without knowing your diet. I know people say exercise, but that's impossible for me with FMS/CFIDS etc. great if you can tolerate it, even walking.

A1C and high cholestol could be signs of metabolic syndrom, but don't know your HDL, or Triglycerides.

I am not sure that anyone knows that statin or other drugs reduce your incendent of heart disease, I know it lowers your cholesterol and that's the main thing in getting the approval. Become a big debate now. I know my Father has beginnings of Alz. and low cholestorl is a factor in it He has to have everything low fat, no salt, no anything natrual. I find I"m better off have real butter (organic), I need salt or I get low blood pressure etc and fell worse - still suffering from night sweats - testosterone related. Just do some studying, Are you going back in 3 months to test again? I would and make sure you always get a copy of your own test results. Also what is your past history of these tests for yourself. Just some thoughts - Bobby
  6. joanierav

joanierav Member

hi, is this the first time youve had abnormal thyroid blood work? you need to get on thyroid meds fast. thyroid cannot be controlled with diet. uncontrolled thyroid problems need to be treated, this can be serious.

ive never read any messages on this site, from ppl not being able to tolerate thyroid meds. antidepressants, antibiotics , and most other meds yes, but not thyroid ones. they have the synthetic ones and the natural ones.

good luck to you dear,

joanierav
  7. deepak

deepak Member

Interesting thing happened :) I picked up my starch solution book and flipped it open and it opened to the page which addressed your concern.

He says it is a myth that starches convert into sugar. He says if that were the case many asian countries like japan and china and others like mexico which are predominantly starch based diet countries - would have had many fat and obese people -rather the opposite is true - and when these people shift to america and on the american diet they start getting obese and getting many more lifestyle diseases.

he has a huge following if you go to his site and discussion boards.

Love,
    Deepak
  8. gb66

gb66 Active Member

I know absolutely nothing about thyroid problems, starting from scratch. I've never had this show up until recently. What do you like better about the armour over the synthroid? Have you had any side effects from either of these?

I eat lower carb so I don't eat a lot of starchy foods, I control portions when I do eat any. My blood glucose level is good right now for someone with diabetes 2. Doctor is pleased with it.

I'm not sure how to interpret my labs on thyroid or cholesterol. Any help from anyone is appreciated. GB66
  9. gb66

gb66 Active Member

Unfortunately, starchy high carbohydrate foods are not recommended for diabetics. I have to limit them, though I love them. I eat a moderate amount of lower fat protein, vegetables, and some cheese, a couple of eggs a week, and a little fruit. GB66
  10. deepak

deepak Member

Dear Gb,

There is a nutritional doctor in India called Dr Nandita Shah who runs this place called Sharan India.

She has residential programs of 21 days in which she reverses peoples diabetes. She is a very strong advocate of veganism and like Dr John Mcdougall is against a protein based diet. She has wonderful results with most people achieving atleast a 70 % reduction in their diabetes and some 100 % !! .

Please good her or Sharan india.

Love,
    deepak
  11. gb66

gb66 Active Member

I'm still trying to get the rest of my lab results from the doctor. The nurse was supposed to fax them to me yesterday but didn't. Maybe today.

They left off the page with the HDL and my fasting blood sugar and the triglycerides. My past history shows an increase in cholesterol and thyroid in the past year. I really don't want a statin drug.

I have CFS/FM and cannot exercise either.

I'll post my cholesterol numbers as soon as I get them. Maybe you can make sense of them! Thanks. GB66
  12. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

I too was just at the drs to review my labs. It is in my bag in the car & its cold outside and no light to see with otherwise I would go it.

My cholestral is high too, but the good part is good, and my dr. always talks abuot the part we get from our families and the part that takes the hit from the stress in our lives.

Because of Fibro she doesn't want me on statin drugs either, but I do take Krill oil. {I tried fish oil caps for a couple of months but they made me really sick}

I have been using more Olive oil when I cook--I know that can be hard to adjust too--train yourself using butter and olive oil and slowly cut back.

Good luck to you.

13. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

This is discouraging. Prayers going up.

Love, Mikie
  14. sascha

sascha Member

my cholesterol, blood sugar, and blood pressure tests were going up. (thyroid also, but she increased my prescription dosage and i'm in normal range again)

i started vegs, nuts and seeds juicing for one meal a day maybe half a year ago. it's not juicing exactly- it's called "extracting"- i used to use a big juicer and it was good,, but i didn't get the results i'm getting now.

i got my most recent blood test results a couple of weeks ago, and my blood sugar was back down in normal range, and my bp had gone back down to low-normal range where it used to be. great news for me.

for cholesterol- i don't want to take statins. got bad reaction when i tried. i found out about extra-virgin coconut oil and its benefits, and take that daily (@ 2TBsp in green tea; 1 TBsp in each mug) plus cook with it.

use Dr. Mercola's math formula to determine whether or not you're in 'safe' range. you divide your HDL (good) count by your total count. this gives you a number that to put you in good range needs to be .25 or higher. after including extra virgin coconut oil for a time, my HDL tested at 81. and putting my numbers into the formula gave me a .28 result, which is in good range.

wow i just noticed a progression with my HDL. 2007 was 52. 2011 HDL was 63. 2012 (most recent) HDL was 81.

google Dr. Mercola's online inf for more on using his formula to determine where you stand on the cholesterol range. consult Bruce Fife for good inf on extra virgin coconut oil and how it can help with cholesterol. i think Dr. Mercola has inf, too. extra virgin coconut oil has gotten a very bad and unfair rap.

as for veg. juicing, i got a Nutribullet. it's astonishing how good the drinks are. i always put in some nuts-seeds combination for increased nutrition, but also to prevent foam from forming during extraction process. i fill container with greens of all sorts (esp kale, swiss chard, parsley)- only organic, plus celery, carrots, beets- various combinations- almonds, flax seeds- lemon juice and a little stevia for flavoring/sweetening. sometimes i put frozen raspberries, blueberries, apple pieces. no heavy fruits like bananas for me. chunks of ginger when i put org. tomatoes in. i have this drink daily for one of my meals.

i hope i've helped. *also, simple carbs act on the body like sugar, so i cut them down/out as much as i can. i stopped gluten long time ago. but g-f baked products i limit, a lot, although sometimes i cave.

don't panic! and take good care of yourself- best of luck- salome

15. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Active Member

I know a lady who suffers because she can't take the synthetic stuff but doctor won't give her the armour.
  16. MicheleK

MicheleK Member

So sorry you are showing numbers that are distressing.

One thing you should know is that if your thyroid is so low as your range results obviously show you are, is that you can have higher cholesterol because the thyroid is off. You need to have your thyroid issue addressed before anything else. It affects so much in our bodies. To have such low thyroid output is most likely making you feel worse than you have to.

I also do not respond well to synthroid or the other synthetic thyroid medications. I have been on Armour for a decade. I have tried a few times taking different synthetic thyroid meds and I just don't do as well on them. My body evidently doesn't convert the T4 to T3 so well. Armour is more T3 than T4, which is already converted to what the body can use.

That being said, most people can take Synthroid and the like and do fine. But when you have an ill body, many normal conversions of things just don't go as smoothly or correctly as they should.
  17. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I'm really sensitive to meds too and take as few as possible. And I've been taking Armour thyroid (or its eqivalent) for several years with no bad side effects. Your TSH number definitely indicates low thyroid. You should have been on a thyroid med before with a TSH of 4.18

Jam is right, low thyroid can be a cause of high cholesterol so that's part of your answer right there.

If you google "stop the thyroid madness", do some reading and educate yourself.

Also, as Jam suggested, I think it would be wise to see an integrative medicine doctor who will be much more likely to prescribe Armour, which has both T3 and T4, instead of Synthroid, which is synthetic and only has one of them (I forget which). My 80-year-old mom stood up to her traditional medicine doctor who wanted to put her on Synthroid, and stuck with the Armour given her by an integrative med doctor. She was inspiring!

acam.org is a very good website which has a link to find integrative medicine doctors throughout the U.S. and Canada.

We have to educate ourselves and cannot rely solely on our doctors.

Also, soluble fiber can help reduce cholesterol, and fish oil does too. I take 2 heaping tablespoons of plain psyllium fiber a day (2 separate doses) with a large glass of water and cholesterol has gone down 30 points in a year. Flaxseed is supposed to help too.

If you do go on a statin, do take a lot of CoQ10.

Take care -

Mary
  18. gb66

gb66 Active Member

Yes, this is the first time I've had a thyroid problem. It started last year after being diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. Now, also high cholesterol. Thanks.
  19. gb66

gb66 Active Member

Diabetes cannot be reversed or cured, though some believe that when a diabetic has it under good control and has good numbers that it means the diabetes is cured.

This is not the case, it's just being controlled by diet, meds, and/or exercise. Control is not a cure. If the diabetic resumes their old eating patterns, the numbers go back up. This doesn't happen with a non diabetic person. Thanks
  20. gb66

gb66 Active Member

I would like to know what your cholesterol numbers are if you don't mind sharing. The first thing my doctor wants to do is put me on medications. It's very frustrating. She doesn't take the CFS/FM into consideration at all. Thanks.