LAB TESTS...what tests have been run on you??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by texasratgirl, Feb 12, 2007.

1. texasratgirl

texasratgirl New Member

Just wondering about what lab tests everyone here has had run.

After reading responses from my post on the FFC, it seems like they run a huge amount of them.

Any idea why their results would show different on things like thyroid test, and others that were mentioned??

All my thyriod test have come back normal, but now wondering if maybe they are wrong???

ASlo, how many have had brain mri's and what were they looking for???

And also spinal taps..how many have had these and what do
    they look for???

WHat blood tests or others have you had run???/

HAd fm/cfs for now going on about 8yrs now diagnoised for 3, and still trying to understand what the heck is going on and what more I can do.

Thanks,
    TRG
  2. TinaJones

TinaJones New Member

I've had a ton of testing, too. From the really common stuff to the most foreign things out there :) In the beginning, it was because I was 10 weeks pregnant when I got this sick (almost 4 years ago) and running a daily 101 fever. Still run the daily fever, anywhere from 100.5 to 101.

I've had all the blood stuff, including doing blood cultures every two weeks. I've had my entire body go through so many MRI's, it's not funny. Spinal taps, bone marrow test, muscle biopsy, liver biopsy, all kinds of funky urine & blood tests (looking for just about anything you can imagine), all kinds of heart tests (tachycardia is one of my main symptoms), oxygen tests, and on the list goes! All of these trying to figure out the source of my illness and fevers and such.

Re: the brain MRI - all I can say is "why" they were doing it for me...which was looking for signs of MS, any brain tumors, etc etc. I do have a growing pineal cyst and a slight chiari malformation.

Re: spinal tap - I think the main reason for this is looking for signs of infection, primarily - although there are other reasons, etc.

I didn't see your original post (or I might have, I'm sorry! My brain is fuzzy right now!). But there are many of us that have been through this whole testing thing. I think there are probably others that were diagnosed and that was the end of it. I'm not sure.

I'll try to find your other post and read it. Look forward to talking more -- Tina

3. wrthster

wrthster New Member

I have had way to many tests and MRI's. And the tests seem to conflict eachother, most are negative by PCR but by Elisa some of them are positive. Very confusing and a lot of controversy in the medical community.

One bit of advice on your thyroid, yes the FFC's could be wrong. I used to have a terrific Rheumatologist. One way to tell for sure if you have a thryoid problem is measure you temperature under your arm for several days and a few times per day. If it is always below a certain temp I forget what the exact number (but if you are almost always below 98.0 F, a good doc will usually diagnos Wilson's Thyroid Disease. Try doing that, and than see if you can find a doctor that prescribes Armor Thyroid. I am really suprised that for what the FFC's charge, they don't tell their patients to do that. Go figure, take the money and run. Good luck.
  4. wrthster

wrthster New Member

I have had way to many tests and MRI's. And the tests seem to conflict eachother, most are negative by PCR but by Elisa some of them are positive. Very confusing and a lot of controversy in the medical community.

One bit of advice on your thyroid, yes the FFC's could be wrong. I used to have a terrific Rheumatologist. One way to tell for sure if you have a thryoid problem is measure you temperature under your arm for several days and a few times per day. If it is always below a certain temp I forget what the exact number (but if you are almost always below 98.0 F, a good doc will usually diagnos Wilson's Thyroid Disease. Try doing that, and than see if you can find a doctor that prescribes Armor Thyroid. I am really suprised that for what the FFC's charge, they don't tell their patients to do that. Go figure, take the money and run. Good luck.