Labile (high and low) Blood Pressure?? Suggestions please.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Hinemoa, Jul 31, 2003.

1. Hinemoa

Hinemoa New Member

I have been diagnosed with Labile BP. The highest it has been tracked was 190/110 and the lowest was 71/30, in Walmart of all places. I couldn't walk anymore so I sat down, ironically, at the BP testing station. My husband was shocked and immediately took his to see if it was working OK. It was. He rushed off insisting that I use a wheelchair. I was grateful but truly I didn't feel that much different than usual.

My BP usually runs anywhere between 70 and 90 over 40 or 50 something. And I live in Wyoming with an altitude of 7,000ft. Believe me I draaag!

To get to the point. The cardiologist treats the high end of BP. I take 50mgs metropolol and 40mgs lisinopril. The chest pressure and pain that sent me, finally, to the ER has let up greatly. I do have Costochondroitis but that is now much better too.

However the Internist is concerned about the very low BP. He agrees with the meds but shakes his head and says add salt. What???

I've had low BP since being diagnosed and I remember that my mother had Labile BP too. But...do you have any ideas for helping with the low BP's.

I'd be grateful to hear them...

Peace,

Sandra
    [This Message was Edited on 07/31/2003]
  2. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Your Internist is not nuts...he is on the ball here! Go to the top of the page where it says "Message Search " and put in "Neurally Mediated Hypotension" (NMH) and read about it in our previous discussions here. You can also do a websearch on NMH, and an associated problem many of us have (Like me) called Postural Orthostatic tachycarida (POTS), and dysautonomia in general.
    If you are one of the 75%of us who have a Mitral Valve Prolapse (MVP), look up Mitral Valve Prolapse Syndrome (MVPS) which includes fibro and dysautonomia probelms in it's symptoms. All of these will provide help on how to manage this problem.
    You need to drink at least one quart of water daily per 50 lbs. body weight and add salt (preferrably sea salt)to the water.
    I would also suggest that msome peoples BP goes too high because they do not have enough of the other minerals, calcium, potassium and magnesium. In FMS/CFS people, low magnesium is a given, so if you are not taking at least 350 mgs. daily, now is the time to start slowly working up to it, and take it at bedtime, so it's absorbed better.
    When you are standing or walking and start to feel that weakness come over you, squeeze your abdominal muscles hard, and do the same thing whenever you stand up. If that does not work, cross your legs and squeeze them together. This temporarily raises your blood pressure. Try to avoid standing or walking for long periods without a break, esp. in the heat.
    Hugs,
    Klutzo
  3. Hinemoa

Hinemoa New Member

Thank you so much for that comprehensive answer...it was Klutzo, wasn't it? Anyway I will copy it off and run through the different (and difficult to remember) conditions you posted.

Thanks and love,

S.
  4. teach6

teach6 New Member

I just bumped a very good article on NMH for you. Good luck in finding what you need for this.

Barbara
  5. Hinemoa

Hinemoa New Member

Thank you so much Barbara. I went back several 'rollovers' on the off-chance there may be more information.

I have printed it off and I shall read it and take note.

You people on this board are really fantastic,

Love, and thanks also to the kind person who bumped it back a second time.

Sandra

[ advertisement ]