labored, rapid breathing...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Chilene, Nov 1, 2006.

1. Chilene

Chilene New Member

hey everyone...

the last few days i've been noticing that my breathing is quite fast and heavy (oddly, i haven't been much more tired than the usual, though my eyes have been...).

i threw a party this past weekend (and though had some help), still went overboard cleaning, etc., in all the excitement. also did a good bit of dusting, but i haven't had the typical itchy eyes that come with allergy. i rarely drink (like twice a year!) anymore, as it normally throws me into a flare... and i just had two beers that night. am wondering if this is an allergy reaction to the beer (though long-lasting, and i did have a half of a beer last night; not typical). or also fatigue from drinking/exercise...

i also have the mitral valve proplapse, but rarely have problems from that. i do remember having this quick (as if i just walked up lots of stairs) heavy breathing way back in this dd, but not for this many days. there is just a TINY bit of soreness around the heart (left side) area... but i have that here and there...) did call the doc, but haven't heard back. just ate nachos and (oops, they put on cheese by mistake) and now i'm even having trouble talking. it's just weird as the rest of my body's not that tired...

anyone relate?...

thanks!;)

helene
    [This Message was Edited on 11/01/2006]
  2. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

It sounds like you did the right thing in calling the doctor. Sometimes new symptoms can be completely unrelated to FM/CFS.It could be a lot of things but I think this should be looked into soon.

Kathy
  3. boltchik

boltchik New Member

Sorry you are having trouble with your breathing. I would stay in contact with the dr. and get it checked. I also threw a party this weekend and my lower back hurts very badly. But, I am sure that will subside soon, your breathing thing should be checked. I hope you start to feel better soon. I looked at your profile, are you sure you were born in '64, you look much younger! Kim :)
  4. kellyann

kellyann New Member

Go get checked out at the hospital! It doesn't sound good to me! Maybe you need a breathing treatment or something, there is no telling. Go and make sure it is not real serious. You can not survive without air!

Kellyann
    [This Message was Edited on 11/01/2006]
  5. Chilene

Chilene New Member

nice to meet you both;)...

yes, i guess it is important to check things out. i get so used to racking it all up to this dd. no reason not to rule things out.

oh, and kim, thanks for the compliment... can't recall but that pic may be about 2 years old now; i better put up a new one!...

light hugs!

helene
  6. Chilene

Chilene New Member

nice to meet you!

appreciate your thoughts, too. i am going to the doctor tomorrow and hopefully they will do an EKG on me there; the nurse mentioned something about that when i called.

it's scary as this is NOT a very usual symptom for me. then again, i haven't exercised (shopped, carried, cleaned and made food!)... like this (for my party last weekend) in ages. i have an assistant 3 hours a week and i thought her reaarranging the furniture for me would be enough. darnit, i keep forgetting my body's not normal! after 12 years!;)

hugs!
    helene
  7. kellyann

kellyann New Member

Hey girl,
    Did you get checked out? Are you doing okay? Just worried, that's all. It doesn't sound like you should wait around and not get checked out. I hope you did go get seen?

Let me know? Okay?

Praying for you!

Kellyann
  8. Chilene

Chilene New Member

thanks for your concern!

i went to the doctor (well, nurse practitioner who met with my doctor) on friday. they did an EKG, and supposedly it came out similar to one i had done a few years ago.

i believe it showed that my heartbeat was a little high (i need to get a copy of this, still), but not "out of range".

my doctor thought that maybe all the exercise i did, combined with drinking a few beers(not used to it) that i probably got quite dehydrated (true, wasn't drinking much water after, either) and the dehydration also caused my heart to speed up. they suggested that i monitor things and also come back for some blood labs to cover other bases, too. (i lost a good amount of weight over the last year, but i'm pretty sure this is purely my lack of appetite half the day).

am feeling at least halfway better already. i hope this really was nothing too bad, but i'm still a bit nervous.

thank you SO much for thinking about me, kellyann! your thoughts mean alot.

big hugs;)

helene
  9. kellyann

kellyann New Member

I am so glad you did go and get checked out. You know so many times we tend to just blame our sicknesses on just FM. I hope you are feeling better!

It is no trouble at all to check up on you! I can't do much for you, but at least you do know that yes, I do care!

I'm trying to hang in there myself. I just started a new treatment:Bicillin shots I give myself at home. They are painful. But I really hope they will make a difference. I have FM and Lyme Disease, lucky me, haha! Just kidding. About the lucky me part anyway.

How is your breathing?

Take good care of yourself and get plenty of rest.
    Jesus Loves You!
    Kellyann
  10. dooker

dooker New Member

Hi Chilene,

I am allergic to sulphites, and when I mistakenly have sulphites, I get a similar problem with breathing - I feel short of breath, and my stomach gets bloated, among other symptoms. Many beers contain sulphites, and almost all wines do as well. You might want to do a quick search on the internet for "sulphite sensitivity symptoms". See if the symptoms happen for you for the foods that are listed. Grape juice, and concentrated lemon juice and dried fruits are just a few other examples of foods that may contain sulphites.

Regards,Mike
  11. Chilene

Chilene New Member

thanks again... a little nudging never hurts me!

sounds like you have a handful to deal with, too. good luck with the shots!

hugs!

helene
  12. Chilene

Chilene New Member

hi mike!--

nice to "meet".

that's a really good reminder, too, about the sulphites. i used to be aware of that and have kind of forgotten. i actually didn't know that beer could contain sulphites as well. i will check that out.

many thanks!!!

helene
  13. dooker

dooker New Member

Hi Helene,

I often forget what I am allergic to as well. Between gluten and sulphites, it really restricts what you can eat. With sulphites, I find it is more elusive. I believe that there are foods that contain sulphites, but don't report them. Potato chips are a good example. I am fairly certain that some types contain sulphites - they make me feel the same symptoms - but there is no mention in the ingredients. I get the feeling that many people are sensitive to sulphites and don't know it. Always glad to help - I know what it is like trying to figure out what food is causing a problem - took me about 2 years figure it all out.

All the best,
    Mike