Lack of Magnesium and Pain

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tes, Feb 26, 2008.

1. tes

tes New Member

Does lack of magnesium in the body cause pain? I read somewhere that it can.

Please share your knowledge on this and your experiences. I suffer with alot of rib pain and alittle pain in the rest of my body.

Hope someone can help:)

God bless,
  2. victoria

victoria New Member

There is an excellent article on a magnesium website,

plus a book about it "Miracle of Magnesium"

I think it is an additional reason why epsom salts baths help many of us so much - not only do we absorb sulfur thru our skin (largest organ of our body) but also magnesium.

hope that helps...

3. Febricula

Febricula New Member

I take a lot -- in my multivitamin, in my migraine supplement (Migrelief, with magnesium, B2, and feverfew), and at night to help me sleep.

It's nearly eradicated my life-long migraines. It's also really helpful for RLS and muscle tension.

I don't have fibro, just CFIDS.

If you decide to try it, titrate up SLOWLY. Your stomach will thank you! ;)

4. tes

tes New Member

Thanks for the info. How much would you say is good to start? I started a multivitmain that enough? thank. Tes
  5. Febricula

Febricula New Member

Hi Tes,

To be honest, I really don't know. You could ask your doctor, if she or he is open to supplements -- they might have an idea about dosage or suggestions such as magnesium cream. Epsom salt baths are another way to absorb magnesium and circumvent the digestive problems it can cause.

My understanding is also that it's important to take calcium with magnesium as well, for absorption. Once your body is used to the multivitamin, you might want to look at Calcium/Magnesium supplements from the drugstore, or even something like "Cal Mac," which is a powder you put in hot liquid.

But I think it would really depend on your symptoms. Do you have fibro? Muscle spasms? RLS or difficulties falling asleep? Migraines? I think there are magnesium supplements out there specifically designed to address each of these issues. And, of course, it would be great if you could do this through an integrative doctor, who would understand your personal needs and appropriate dosage better, and who would know how these supplements might interact with other medications or vitamins you take.

Also, certain types of magnesium are much more absorbable than others. I don't know offhand, but if you check Jaminhealth's posts on magnesium, I think she outlines with ones are the most helpful/useless.

6. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Bumpity bump