Lactating for no reason

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mylilcherub428, May 26, 2008.

1. mylilcherub428

mylilcherub428 New Member

I breastfed my daugtter 4 yrs ago for two weeks for 4 mos I have been lactating only a lil my fiance acidentilly found out about if u know what I mean lol

I know I am not preg have been getting my period my last one was heavy and painfull felt like someone was scarping my insides out but i do get painfull periods

I think my hormones are messed up my skin is always oily and I have been emotional and eating everything

I do have poly cystic ovarian syndrome

The milk is only a lil and I notice mostly when I have my period but milk usually only likes to come out with oral stimulation so it's hard to tell whats going on

I go to doc on thurs just wonderin if anyone has ever hard of this-Kim
  2. mylilcherub428

mylilcherub428 New Member

Tested for lyme by my intergrative doc but I do not know which tests he used and did not see the results myself I know he tests all his fibro patients for lyme

I'm wondering if it could have something to do with my pcos.

But thanx for the reply if nothing is found I definately will be exploring lyme more and checking my test results myself thanx-Kim
  3. woofmom

woofmom New Member

DEMAND to have your mineral and element levels checked when you go to your doctor. This includes boron, molybdenum, chromium, zinc,cobalt, selenium,silica, iron,iodine, and especially manganese (not to be confused with magnesium).
  4. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

I have minor lactating. I have no children and I have never breastfed.

I went to the doc about it and she did a blood test to test my prolactin levels. They came back high so I got an MRI to see if I might have a tumor on my pituitary gland. That came back clear so we are pretty certain that it is a side effect from the medication Reglan that I am taking. I take a couple of meds that list this as a rare but possible side effect.
  5. ann31065

ann31065 New Member

I drank it all the time and my breast were so big and tender to the touch. my friend told me to stop drinking the milk and I'm better. growth hormones or something in the milk.
    I'm just saying it is worth a try.
    Ann
  6. woofmom

woofmom New Member

Wal-Mart no longer allows their suppliers to give this to their cows.
  7. mom3333

mom3333 New Member

In my opinion I would check the pituitary. A family member of mine had this happen years after she had her last child and it was a hormonal imbalance - it was specifically prolactin. They first started testing to look for this and it was discovered through those tests as well as looking at her pituitary (usually the main reason for unexplained lactation). Hormone imbalances are usually due to the pituitary. Usually very easy to treat though!

Try looking up Prolactinoma and that should give you a good idea if that is the reason or not. There is also Galactorrhea which also deals with unexplained lactation.

The websites below is where I found the best information in one place, but any search engine can help find information on this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prolactin
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prolactinoma
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galactorrhea
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperprolactinaemia

Other possible reasons could be excess thyrotropin-releasing hormone which is usually in hypothyroidism, certain medications, and emotional stress (although I think emotional stress is something we all have :)). I found most of this info at any website regarding unusual and unexplained lactation. Also, looking up information about the pituitary in general can help find this info. I hope some of this helps you and I hope everything resolves nicely and quickly for you! Take care!
  8. marti_zavala

marti_zavala Member

Also, some medications and some herbs can promote lactations.

Fenugreek is one herb but there are a couple of others.

Maybe you are taking it into your body through a supplement.

Marti
  9. mom3333

mom3333 New Member

Hi dragon06,
    I just saw your post and I just wanted to let you know that my OB/GYN gave me Reglan to help my breastmilk come in quicker after I had my daughter. It was specifically given to me for that. I know its mainly prescribed for other reasons but I thought that would be a little piece of info so you know it definately can cause lactation :)
  10. JewelRA

JewelRA New Member

Hi,

High prolactin levels are common in CFS/FM. It can be caused by the disorder itself, and unfortunately, by some of the medications/supplements used to treat it. A couple that come to mind right offhand are melatonin and antidepressants/antipsychotics.

I used to have this problem, and don't any more. I don't know what cleared it up to be honest with you.
  11. justjanelle

justjanelle New Member

and not intending to scare you, but after a neighbor had this problem she found out she had breast cancer. It might be another thing to have checked.

Best wishes,
    Janelle
  12. msbsgblue

msbsgblue Member

Never assume. It may just be that, but never rule out having something like this checked. There can also be white discharge from the breast that looks that way but can be symptom of cancer.

Get it checked just to be sure.
  13. Emily8859

Emily8859 New Member

I have had this for years and it comes and goes, mostly from one side. Doctor said that it was side effect from thyroid condition and I had a cyst in my breast that had to be removed, nothing serious. I would have it checked if I were you because it is not considered "normal" and can be a dangerous side effect to somthing fatal. Just for peace of mind, get it checked.
    Emily
  14. woofmom

woofmom New Member

Dopamine is a neurohormone released by the hypothalamus. Its main function as a hormone is to inhibit the release of prolactin from the anterior lobe of the pituitary......Manganese is needed to activate dopamine.
  15. lillieblake

lillieblake New Member

I lactated for a year after my son was born and didn't even nurse him.

Five years later a nodule was found on my thyroid. The medicine they gave me (synthroid) really screwed up my periods - HUGH blood clots -

I had the thyroid out and it was cancer.

Maybe you need to have your thyroid checked.

Good luck - Lillie
  16. campbeck97

campbeck97 New Member

Like you say only a small amt and I havent nursed a baby i 31 years! I went to the Dr. and He said it was too much foreplay with the breast during sex!! I was shocked and humiliated when he said that. He said it was completly harmless. another incident was 11 years go when my Granson was born when he would cry my breast would just start leaking(you know making those lovely circles on your blouse)strange huh.
  17. campbeck97

campbeck97 New Member

Like you say only a small amt and I havent nursed a baby i 31 years! I went to the Dr. and He said it was too much foreplay with the breast during sex!! I was shocked and humiliated when he said that. He said it was completly harmless. another incident was 11 years go when my Granson was born when he would cry my breast would just start leaking(you know making those lovely circles on your blouse)strange huh.
  18. campbeck97

campbeck97 New Member

19. campbeck97

campbeck97 New Member

20. campbeck97

campbeck97 New Member