Lactobacillus sporogenes improves gastrointestinal ecology

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tansy, Sep 30, 2005.

1. tansy

tansy New Member

"Lactobacillus sporogenes"

Alternative Medicine Review, August, 2002

Description

Lactobacillus sporogenes is a gram-positive, spore-forming, lactic-acid producing bacillus. It was originally isolated and described in 1933. The organism requires a complex mixture of organic substrates for growth, including fermentable carbohydrates and peptides.

Pharmacokinetics

Subsequent to oral administration, L. sporogenes passes through the stomach in its spore form and upon arrival in the duodenum, germinates and multiplies rapidly. (1)
    Estimates suggest the average duration of time between oral dosing and germination is four hours. (1) After germination, L. sporogenes is metabolically active in the intestines, producing lactic acid.

L sporogenes is considered a semi-resident, indicating it takes up only a temporary residence in the human intestines. Spores of L. sporogenes are excreted slowly via the feces for approximately seven days after discontinuation of administration. (1)

Mechanisms of Action

Despite the transient nature of this organism in the digestive tract, the changes this lactic acid bacillus produces shift the environment in support of a complex gastrointestinal flora.(1,2)

The mechanism of action is presumed to be a result of improving gastrointestinal ecology by replenishing the quantity of desirable obligate microorganisms and antagonizing pathogenic microbes.(2,3)

Two isomeric forms of lactic acid can be produced by lactic acid-producing bacteria--dextrorotatory (D (-)) lactic acid and levorotatory (L(+)) lactic acid. L(+) lactic acid is completely metabolized in the body; however, D(-) lactic acid is not completely metabolized, resulting in a degree of metabolic acidosis. L. sporogenes produces only L(+) lactic acid. (1)

L. sporogenes is assumed to produce bacteriocins (2) and short chain fatty acids. As the organism grows, it assimilates and incorporates cholesterol into its cellular structure. (1)

L. sporogenes possesses significant [beta]-galactosidase (lactase) activity in vitro. (4)

Clinical Indications

Lipid Disorders

Administration of L sporogenes to rabbits resulted in a 90-percent inhibition in the rise of serum cholesterol secondary to feeding of high cholesterol diets. (5)
    Oral L. sporogenes supplementation (360 million spores/day) decreased total serum cholesterol from an average of 330 mg/dL to 226 mg/dL in 17 subjects with type II hyperlipidemia over a three-month time interval. HDL-cholesterol increased slightly. No changes in serum triglyceride levels were observed. (6)

Digestive Disorders

In laboratory animals with bacterial dysbiosis, L. sporogenes supplementation inhibits growth of pathogenic microorganisms and results in renewal of desirable obligate gastrointestinal organisms to normal levels. (3) Reports suggest that supplementation produces a rapid resolution of acute gastrointestinal infection induced by pathogenic bacteria in calves)

It has been reported that the efficacy of treatment in patients with bacterial dysbiosis receiving L sporogenes was 20-30 percent higher than traditional probiotics such as Lactobacillus acidophilus of Bifidobacteria. (2)
    Seventy percent of individuals suffering from chronic constipation treated with 300-750 million spores per day of L. sporogenes for two to 10 days experienced an amelioration of abdominal distention and a normalization of stools. (7)

Reports suggest a benefit in neonatal diarrhea. (7)
    Aphthous Stomatitis

Reports suggest efficacy in the treatment of aphthous stomatitis with resolution occurring within two to three days. (8,9)

Vaginitis

Vaginal administration of L. sporogenes was investigated in non-specific vaginitis. Subjects with Trichomonas or Candida vaginitis were excluded from the study. Complete relief of pruritis and discharge was reported by 93 percent of subjects. Postmenopausal subjects had a slower response to therapy. (10)

Toxicity and Side Effects

Acute toxicity studies in animals have been conducted with doses as high as 50 g/kg for seven days. No abnormalities, either during supplementation or in the period after withdrawal of the supplement, were observed. Chronic supplementation of doses as high as 5 g/kg for 15 months in animals results in no observed toxicity. In humans, adverse reactions following supplementation have not been reported.

Dosage

A reasonable dose is 100 mg two to three times daily. Each 100 mg contains approximately 1.5 billion colony-forming units.

References
    (1.) Majeed M, Prakash L. Lactospor(R): The Effective Probiotic. Piscataway, NJ: NutriScience Publishers, Inc.; 1998.
    (2.) Voichishina LG, Chaplinskii VI, V'iunitskaia VA. The use of sporulating bacteria in treating patients with dysbacteriosis. Vrach Delo 1991 ; 12:73-75. [Article in Russian]
    (3.) Smirnov VV, Reznik SR, V'iunitskaia VA, et al. The effect of the complex probiotic sporolact on the intestinal microbiocenosis of warm-blooded animals. Mikrobiol Z 1995;57:42-49. [Article in Russian]
    (4.) Kim YM, et al. Studies on the production of [beta]-galactosidase by Lactobacillus sporogenes. Properties and applications of [beta]-galactosidase. Korean J Applied Microbiol Bioeng 1985;13;355-360.
    (5.) Kumar ORM, Christopher KJ. Feeding of L. sporogenes to rabbits. Ind Vet J 1989;66:896-898.
    (6.) Mohan JC, Arora R, Khalilullah M. Preliminary observations on effect of Lactobacillus sporogenes on serum lipid levels in hypercholesterolemic patients. Indian J Med Res 1990;92:431-432.
    (7.) Dhongade RK, Anjaneyulu R. Maharashtra Medical J 1977;23:473-474. [abstract]
    (8.) Mathur SN, et al. Sporlac therapy in treatment of apthous stomatitis. Uttar Pradesh State Dent J 1970;11:7-12.
    (9.) Sharma JK, Kapoor KK, Mukhija RD. Clinical trial of Sporlac in the treatment of recurrent aphthous ulceration. Uttar Pradesh State Dent J 1980;11:7-12.
    (10.) Shirodkar NV, Sankholkar PC, Ghosh S, Nulkar SM. Multi-centre clinical assessment of myconip vaginal tablets in non-specific vaginitis. Indian Pract 1980;33:207-210.[This Message was Edited on 09/30/2005]
  2. jenunsa

jenunsa New Member

I looked on the label of the probiotics that I take and it contains L. casein but not L. sporogenes. I will look for one that has L. sporogenes, too, next time I buy probiotics. Thanks again for the info.
  3. tansy

tansy New Member

I had read your article when you first posted it. This board is so big and moves so fast if I replied to all the posts I'd like to it would be the equivalent of a full time job with long hours. So please don't assume no replies mean your posts are not being read by us.

I've learned no replies does not necessarily mean info I post has not been read. Using a title that will bring up our posts when someone does a search means we can ensure info is made available to those doing research on specific topics.

20 years ago I was Dx with candida and gut dysbiosis, I was given just the standard acidophilus which certainly did it's job but almost too well and I was having problems. There weren't so many probiotics on sale then but research on the few that were available led me to adding a bifidus strain which helped in part because it can help cut down inflammation.

Lactobacillus GG, sold as Culturelle, can crowd out the baddies too and like bifidus also act as an anti inflammatory. When treating my gastritis and candida in my mouth and upper GI tract I used flora balance powder (which provides one soil based organism); I found that worked well too but I only needed it for a few months.

The big surprise for me was primal defence. I had anticipated an allergic reaction or intolerance due to it's additional ingredients, instead it was more beneficial than I had imagined it could be. Though Nature's Biotics contains some of the same organisms it did not work as well, this might have been because the additional ingredients in PD were working for me, or it might have been the additional strains provided in PD.

After improvements many years ago I was able to sustain them relatively well through diet and a basic probiotic product. However, my GI tract symptoms got worse again and I had to start looking for new solutions. Makes me wonder if some of these clever beasties get to be resistant to specific priobiotics in the same way bacteria can develop resistance to ABx. The candida etc had become resistant to the amphotericin b that had worked before, so this time round I tried out alternatives which worked better than amphotericin B had ever done.

The great thing is today we have many probiotics to choose from, with all the information on them easy to access on the web we can choose the strains we think will help us either with specific problems or to help ensure healthy gut flora. Often it is not the number of organisms that counts, but the strains we choose. An example of this is threelac which many find works better for candida than anything else they have used.

love, Tansy
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

The Jarro-Dophilus has worked so well for me, even when on antibiotics for 2 1/2 years that I have not tried anything else. It's good to get info on other probiotics available out there. I am absolutely convinced that good health and bad health begin in the gut.

After about the age of 35, our bodies no longer produce adequate amounts of good bacteria and it must be replenished. I do not believe that acidophilus alone is enough, especially as we age. Preventing Leaky Gut Syndrome is paramount because it can cause all kinds of disease in the body and is often responsible for food allergies.

Finally, I believe it is important for us to get routine colonoscopies. I had put mine off for five years despite a biological father who died of colon cancer. They removed five large polyps and several were precancerous. I just had another colonoscopy and it was clear. Had I ignored this, by now, I might be fighting colon cancer.

Again, thanks for these excellent articles. I do not understand why docs don't tell people about these simple preventive things which can be done. They usually don't even tell their patients to take probiotics when they write Rx's for ABX. Once in a while, one will say, "Eat some yogurt," which is good advice but will likely fall far short of what is needed.

Love, Mikie
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

As many of y'all know, the Doxycyline cleared up my IBS. I now believe that chronic bacterial infections can cause IBS. There may be other causes, but like with ulcers, I feel that some IBS is from bacterial infections.

I have been taking probiotics for years before starting the Doxy, so the probiotics were not what cured the IBS, though I'm sure they helped. It was such a wonderful surprise to me when the IBS was gone. I had had it for years.

Love, Mikie