Lactose-free yogurt & substitute for butter

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by caroleye, Apr 20, 2010.

1. caroleye

caroleye New Member

Well I've been hit with knowing how much these two products have been causing my intestinal pain. First it was the feta cheese from milk. I posted that.

Then discovered that my yogurt was a culprit, but there's one out there I found made of coconut.

Today I found out someone recommended using coconut oil instead of butter.

So I hope for all of you that have intestinal/digestive problems can benefit from this info.

So wish I had known about it earlier, and maybe I wouldn't be so sick as I've the point of being hospitalized.

Research.... always have to watch what we're putting in our bodies.

2. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

FYI.....So Delicious brand makes coconut milk in half gallon containers (regular, sweetened, and vanilla flavored), coconut milk based yogurt, coconut milk based kefir, and coconut milk based ice cream. So far the only place I have seen it is at Fruitful Yield, though. Actual coconut oil is much easier to find and is produced by a bunch of different brands. I have not tried the coconut ice cream, but the other products are all quite good.

Wish there was a substitute for cheese that I could tolerate - coconut milk is the ONLY milk type of product I can keep down, and I don't think there are any coconut based cheeses out there - might be kinda weird if there were.
    [This Message was Edited on 04/20/2010]
  3. caroleye

caroleye New Member

Yesterday tried the goat yogurt - no go (taste); next the coconut oil instead of butter (got sick right away....too sweet); then tried the coconut yogurts........both sweet, but hoping the plain one will work. Won't know for a few days.

Today will try Hemp Butter, but am not too hopeful as I've heard "you have to get used to it", but I'm butter poor, so trying everything.

My fav milk is the almond one; didn't know there was coconut milk, but I'm finding that coconut in itself is sweet; then they usually add sugar, and I'm supersensitive to sugars (even fruits most fruits).

Interestingly, I'm not losing any weight, but have alot of stomach problems e.g. gastritis that has taken me to the hospital a couple of times from either something I ate and/or stress of any kind.
  4. pluis

pluis New Member

As I can't digest caseine and having problems with milk etc I use Earth Balance natural buttery spread. Thiis made with olive oil. On the box it says that it is gluten free, lactose free, Vegan and Non GMO. I like it, and you can buy it at Wholefoods.
  5. caroleye

caroleye New Member

I heard that this has soy in it, which I'm allergic to.

But I just tried the "Hemp Butter", and so far no problems. It tastes just like peanut butter.

Doubtful the coconut yogurt is going to work as the sugar makes me ache all over. So I'm yogurt poor right now.
  6. caroleye

caroleye New Member

Just found out some information from Stonyfield about "lactose". I used to buy their low-fat plain yogurt, and it has 11 grams of sugar in it (therein lies the "lactose"), so they told me about a Greek yogurt called Olkos, and it only has 7 grams of sugar; thus less lactose.

So I'm going to try it next. I'm going back to regular butter as I read if you eat just small amounts, the lactose content is only a trace.

Just tired of this ongoing research; just hope the Olkos yogurt works.

Now, next. I used to eat Feta Cheese by Athenos. It was made with goat cheese; came from Greece. Well now I'm told that you can't trust that anymore, as they will often mix milk & sheep into theirs. Some use all milk.
    Ahh finally found a goat cheese I really like. It's called Montchevri crumbled goat cheese (not feta). Apparently Feta is stronger tasting; this new one is "not" Feta and very smooth.

Now I'm taking a break.............
    [This Message was Edited on 04/29/2010]