lactose intolerant?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by GinnyB, Oct 29, 2005.

1. GinnyB

GinnyB New Member

I've just been diagnosed as lactose intolerant, but everything I read about it says the symptoms start 30 mins. to 2 hours after eating dairy. I can eat a bowl of cereal with milk for breakfast and not get any symptoms til evening. So am I or am I not lactose intolerant? (I had a breath test.)

Thanks for any help you can give me.

GinnyB
  2. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

My older family doc dx'd me with that. It can be 6 hours or so before you get sick with it. Also my doc told me that some people can get constipation instead of the diarrhea from lactose intolerance.

I still can't drink the Lactaid milk. It will give me dirrhea in a heart beat. I do use the lactose enzyme pills when I eat dairy, but some things like yogurt give me sneezing and congestion the next morning. Just really odd...

I think if you get symptoms within 24 hours every time you eat a certain amount of dairy that will give you your answers. It is more a thing you have to figure out yourself.

Good luck!

Hugs,
    Faye
  3. codinqueen

codinqueen New Member

I am also Lactose Intolerant. However, it is usuallu only ice cream that causes the problems, not milk or cheese in small quantities, like one to two glasses, and 1 to 2 slices. I use Dairy Ease tablets when I eat ice cream and it works miracles. If I don't take it, I have terrible abdominal cramps and diarrhea for 24 to 48 hours from one bowl of ice cream, which starts about 5 hours after I eat it.
  4. lbok

lbok New Member

I've considered myself lactose intolerant. A little butter and a little bit of cheese like provolone or mozzarella is ok. My husband says I can't be lactose intolerant because I can have butter and dark chocolate and they have lactose. That is when someone mentioned to me about a milk allergy (?) instead of just being lactose intolerant. I tried the lactaid milk before and it didn't make a difference so maybe it's something else in the milk perhaps.
  5. jerseybunny

jerseybunny New Member

try organic milk .i was told a few years ago by a man that was severly allergic to dairy.he had to move to africa. all they had was dairy products. what could he do? it puts him in the hospital from any dairy. well, he started using the no hormone treated dairy.. nothing!!absolutly nothing. i took his advice. everytime i drink or eat anything that has hormones in it iam "lactose intolerant" hah!!! more like hormone intolerant.
  6. lbok

lbok New Member

I suddenly "became" intolerant of turkey a few years ago and I used to eat quite a bit of it. (Although the milk thing has been since I was a teen). On an autism message board they were mentioning organic or kosher turkey because of the additives and chemicals in the regular commercial turkeys. I haven't tried it though but your comment about the hormones is interesting.
  7. GinnyB

GinnyB New Member

Thanks to everyone who responded to my post. Your comments were really helpful. I'm using soy milk and taking 2 lactaid pills before I eat even small amounts of dairy. Too soon to tell if it's working. This is the first day I felt a little better.

Love,

GinnyB
  8. islandgirl2

islandgirl2 New Member

Hi..read your post and wanted to mention that there are some things that will bother you more than others....the worse thing is forgeting to take lactaid pills with anything that you think has milk in it..or dairy. You have to carry them with you everywhere or sure as anything you'll wish you had. I still forget to take them at least a few times a week. I'm very sorry when I wake up in the middle of the night with cramps. You'd think by now I'd catch on.....cause and effect. I was diagnosed over ten years ago and it was the best news to me...I thought I had something worse. This is just an inconvenience....annoying at times but you realy can eat almost anything if you take the pills.....any brand will do but I take the strongest ones. This runs in families and you'll find you have lots to talk about at family dinners. : ) It's not necessary to drink the lactose free milk...with pills. Just try everything and see what bothers you. I don't eat any box foods because of the added mystery milk products....only because I forget to take anything if it doesn't scream "dairy". Good luck. You'll adjust fine.