ladies, bioidentical hormones? Symptoms so similiar!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ilovepink4, Jul 2, 2009.

1. ilovepink4

ilovepink4 Member

I was reading about bioidentical hormones and was surprised that the symptoms of hormonal shortages and Fibromyalgia are so similiar!

I also have noticed that thyroid problems have similiar symptoms as fibro.

So, what if we fixed our thyroids, hormones, oh, and vitamin D deficiancies could we be cured?

What if all we have is a combination of these problems? It is interesting that fm affects more women than men. And men can have hormone shortages, too.....

What is interesting is that all three of these things (thyroid, hormones, and vit D ) can all be helped if our diet was perfect. If our food was the way food used to be 150 yrs ago with none of the chemicals and hormones the plants and animals we eat are treated with.

What if it was a simple as that?

Has anyone had any good/great improvements with bio identical hormones? Oprah is big into this and so is Robin Mcgraw -dr phil's wife......

What do you girls think? Why do our symptoms seem the same as the symptoms for the things I mentioned? fatigue....brain fog.....achey body....insomnia....depression....weight gain....low libido....headaches.....irritability....

has anyone really focused on this combination and had good results.....1) hormone levels 2) thyroid 3) vitamin D levels
  2. mafusula

mafusula New Member

The same thing last night as my Dr ordered all sorts of blood tests plus hormone, iron and Iodiene which I had done this morning.

I may be storing too much iron in my body which also gives the same symptoms of FM. I also researched Aspartame ( found in sweetening substitutes, like in Equal). Aspartame is a toxic poison to the body and can also cause FM symptoms.

I checked all of my vitamin tablets this morning and found Aspartame in Berrocca (Original orange flavour.) Needless to say the sweetener and the Berocca have both gone in the bin!!

I am waiting on the test results to see what Dr does!!
  3. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

First, I totally believe there is a hormonal connection. Because when I was on Ortho Tri Cyclen birth control pills, ALL of my fibro pain went away a month into taking them. It was the most amazing thing ever. I couldn't believe I wasn't in that pain anymore. When I went off the pills, the pain came back.

Now, my doc's current theory is that either a viral/bacterial entity or an environmental toxin gets into us and damages the pituitary gland. Once the pituitary gland is damaged, it throws all the hormones out of whack. She said it hits the vassopresin hormone, the one that regulates water in the body, and that's why we get hit with NMH/POTS and it hits the thyroid hormone so you end up with Hashi's, and the reproductive hormones so your entire reproductive system is screwed up. She said that one tiny gland, the pituitary, is as small as a chickpea. And the damage is not always findable with an MRI or any other scan, so it's always missed. But that one gland regulates all these hormones in the body and it's not working correctly in us. And it always happens after some kind of viral/bacterial onset or it's an environmental toxin that's hitting it.

I think she's onto something with this theory. She doesn't think any of us are crazy at all. She thinks we have a damaged pituitary gland.
  4. ilovepink4

ilovepink4 Member

I just was tested for this and I was surprised that I am only mildly deficient because I live in northern Minnesota! This is a medical doc telling me this. I will start supplementing with 1000 iu's now. I was on these supplements last year without ever being tested and never felt one bit different from taking them. So I quit.

I really want to look into the hormones and the bio indentical hormones. I need to find someone that is knowledgable here in the sticks, where I live.

I should move somewhere with better medical choices and somewhere with a warm, dry climate. This snow and cold for 9 months out of the year is getting mighty old! And the summers aren't so great either! Mosquitoes are terrible here! And it is either cold and cloudy or hot and humid. Sorry for kvetching about the weather.
  5. Hawkeye

Hawkeye New Member

I take Premarin for menopausal hot flashes and I must say that since I have started taking it I feel that my FM symptoms have gotten worse not better. I am a train wreck at this stage in my life, I have had fibromyalgia for my entire life and currently it is the worst it has ever been. I don't know if it is because of having gone through menopause, because of the meds, diet or what.

6. MomsCompassion

MomsCompassion New Member

Isn't Premarin better known as PREgnant MARe urINe? "60 Minutes" featured this on TV years ago. It has also been stated that this Premarin was tested on men and extrapolated for women.
    Some women have used Vitex or Black Cohosh with success. I personally have tried Black Cohosh.
    However, if a woman has/had breast cancer, this may not be a good idea.
    Hope you feel better,
    [This Message was Edited on 07/03/2009]
  7. MsE

MsE New Member

In February, a month before I was to go with my daughter to Croatia, I put myself back on a bioidentical estradiol patch because I was desperately seeking a way to make the trip without falling apart from exhaustion. It worked.

However, I developed a stinker of a yeast infection and had to stop using even a half the lowest patch available during the last of my month-long trip. After a week I started dragging again.

A few days ago, in desperation, I decided to try once more and use acidophilus capsules along with the estradiol to keep the yeast thingee under control. I'm not sure (it's too early to tell) but earlier today I felt almost human again--the first time since the middle of April.

I am 74, waaaay past menopause, but am experimenting with my doctor's blessing. These last couple of months have been just horrible, and I'm tired of watching the rest of my life, what there is of it, slipping away. I'm tired of being an invalid. Up to today I have been angry and exhausted and just plain miserable. However, I think (fingers crossed) that the estradiol is beginning to help.

I do think there is a connection. Even our brains have estrogen receptors!
  8. sascha

sascha Member

not the premarin (made from pregnant mare's urine), is my very strong impression, AND I JUST GOT TESTED YESTERDAY!! i am excited about this- have wanted to try this route for a long time. had to wait to get way past valcyte (it's been over a year now).

yesterday i went to alternative medical practice to find out how much it would cost and was so happy to find that my Medicare will cover most of the testing, and i got blood drawn right then and there.

i am having a complete hormone panel done- yay- i have an appointment to go over results in a couple of weeks, and at that time will get tailored program of whatever it is they recommend to start taking/applying. i can't wait.

it might be a piece to the puzzle of my cfids problems- i don't know- i know hormones are out of kilter, though- have known that for a long time. Sascha
  9. munch1958

munch1958 Member

After 28 years of this crud, I was diagnosed with adult growth hormone deficiency. This means my pituitary is not making growth hormone. I'm now on replacement shots. I'm also on Vitamin D, two kinds of thryoid meds 2X a day, hydrocortisone, DHEA, fludricortisone, methylcobalamin (B12 shots), nebulized glutathone, Forteo (osteoporosis) and of course Nordiflex Norditropin or HGH.

My doctors feel that chronic infection is the reason for the damage. For pathogens, I have 2 strains of Borrelia, multiple strains of Babesia -- from Missouri and Wisconsin, Bartonella, EBV, CPN, mycoplasma pneumonia, chlamydia pnemonia (CPN) and candida. I'm on IM and or Abx, Diflucan and Nystatin.

I'm planning on getting another set of Bio-identical pellets as soon as I have my yearly PAP and mammo. Pellets have been the best form of replacement for me. It's far superior to pills, cremes and patches.

My fibro pain is now 100% gone. I no longer have fatigue of any kind.
  10. MsE

MsE New Member

Did I read your post correctly? Medicare will cover the testing for hormones at an alternative medical practice? My gosh? Is this standard practice? If Medicare pays for it, or even part of it, I wonder why my doc wouldn't order the tests? He was quite willing for me to try the estradiol patch, but didn't say squat about the tests so I figured it was another of those things Medicare wouldn't pay for.
  11. sascha

sascha Member

that's what front desk person told me yesterday- that Medicare covers hormone testing. hope it's true! it makes sense because so many women need this addressed. if i find out differently down the road, i'll post about it. i have Hospital (Part A) and Medical (Part B) coverage. sascha
  12. chrissy12

chrissy12 New Member

I swear by bio-identical hormones. After my hysterectomy in 2004, I had problems with any kind of estrogen pills, patches, etc. My doctor suggested bio. I pursued it and after a year finally got it figured out.

I use cream, progesterone, testerone and estrogen. It is much more gentle and I have had great success with them. I used to have migraines all the time and then my doctor gave me more progesterone and it worked!!! I haven't had a migraine in years.

I have CFS, not really fibro. Maybe, this combo has helped me with that...
  13. greatgran

greatgran Member

I believe that hormones do play a role in cfs. Seems my symptoms started when I discontinued the hormones I was on.. I was on the natural patch and have ask my doctor to put me back on them. He first wanted me to have a mammogram, which I did and I go back to him the first of August. He seems reluctant about putting me on them at my age (67) now I want to ask him about being tested for bio-identical.

Now where do you go for these test , are they done in a doctor's office or a pharmacy? I live in a small town and to my knowledge there is no place here that does the testing.

Anything is worth a try.

14. ilovepink4

ilovepink4 Member

all i know about these is that doc phil's wife Robin has done a few shows about these....that she goes to a special type of clinic/doc....and that this is information that we all could benefit it is being kept from us or something....

i think she wrote all about this in a book....

the symptoms of hormonal shortages sound like our symptom of FM...
  15. SherylS

SherylS Member

my doctor has just prescibed bio-identical progesterone and DHEA. I read some of the older posts about this and was wondering if the people using these products are still using them and seeing good results? Or is it like everything else and stops being effective after time?
  16. Juloo

Juloo Member

I have used several bio-identical hormones, including progesterone and DHEA. I have not been able to stay on DHEA or pregnenolone (made some monthly symptoms worse), but progesterone has been a real help. After probably ten years, I have used both OTC and prescription versions and now continue only sporadically as needed with OTC progesterone cream.

For myself, I haven't found any *one* thing that was the magic bullet; however, addressing every single thing I can has helped tremendously in the long run. And bio-identical hormones are just one aspect of that.

BTW, I started progesterone cream on my own; however, I was subsequently tested by my doctor and found very low, so it is not surprising that I had such a good experience with it.

One of the things that I learned long ago about starting new treatments is to only begin ONE at a time -- then wait a few days (or even a couple of weeks) before starting the next. That way, if you have a negative reaction, you will have a better idea of which one is causing the problem.

I hope that you have a positive experience as I did!
  17. kat0465

kat0465 New Member

Ive been on em since 08. Hot flashes are greatly reduced, migraine are a little better.

Other than that, no difference:/