ladies, do you still shave your legs?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Shannonsparkles, Feb 22, 2006.

1. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

After being housebound for several years, I have finally decided to go 'gorilla legs'. Too much effort to shave, and no one's going see my legs anyway.

I wonder if anyone else here has let this part of their routine go? And if anyone has moved on to the next level and stopped shaving their armpits as well?

I always wondered what would happen if I didn't shave for long enough... and it's not all that bad. ;)
    (((ewww))) Shannon
  2. sfrazier

sfrazier New Member

I also gave up the shaving of the legs. Holding a razor that long just wasn't good for my hands. I haven't given up on shaving my armpits yet as long as I remember them when I take a shower. My two teenagers think it's gross but I just tell them that no one else is going to see them so why bother. lol.
  3. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Shaved my legs or underarms-some europeans don't.(I am european) As a teen in UK no one did, yet the people there do it nowadays. As a result I have never grown much hair there and it has never been noticeable. I am blonde though.

I was always of the opinion the hair is there for a purpose. But I guess if everyone thought that way then all men would have beards. Some religious groups feel the same way I guess.

The day before my friend died in agony I was hearing her apologise to the doctor for not shaving her legs and it upset me that women are so conditioned to think this way. The day a man would shave his legs when in agony I'll change my mind.(LOL)

I am probably the only one here who has never shaved!(LOL)

Actually as you hit menopause your hair will stop growing much anyway in all those places, so there you go....
    Love and laughter Anne C
  4. getfitat40

getfitat40 New Member

Since I ended my relationship with my boyfriend, there hasn't been a need. But my decision to stop shaving was not just how hard it is to do - the hair on my legs does not grow as fast as it used to. Relationship or not I don't have the need to shave even in the summer - is another one of those things that happen as you age?
  5. UPK5

UPK5 New Member

Hi Shannon,

I shave my legs everyday, for ME! It is probably one of the few things I do for me, but I do it 'cause I like the smooth feeling. I have fine blonde hair. I wear pants everyday (except in the summer). Of course, no one would notice it, but I like the way my legs feel. I do not like that stubly feeling. I bought a "Venus" razor, that has multiple layers of blades for an either smoother shave, voila, it is great. Now, the newer model (i could care less about this part) has a battery) so the razor stimulates your leg as you shave. I couldn't find the plain janes anymore, so I bought the newer one.

So far, I'm the only one, who still shaves according to your responses.

Have a great day.

Cindy
  6. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

as I have always been a "hairy" person with lots of dark, long hairs. I think health problems, like low thyroid and polycystic ovary syndrome, is the reason I have always had so much hair. This will probably sound strange, but it makes my legs itch if I don't shave. But some days it is an effort to shave. Also, I still work and wear dresses and skirts often. Plus, in the summer I wear shorts most of the time. I guess I just don't like looking so "hairy" so I manage to do it.

I also have a lot of hair in other areas, like my face-between my eyebrows, a mustache, and hair on my chin and sides of face. I have also had hairy arms. I have always envied people who either have light hair or not much hair growth. If I didn't remove hair or shave it, I don't think I would look as feminine.

Ellen
  7. Bruin63

Bruin63 Member

Living in So. Ca. my legs show more, than when I lived in Idaho.
    Then I didn't shave them during the winter, that helped to keep my legs warm, lol
    sharonk
  8. Bren5

Bren5 New Member

I still shave, although not as often as I used to when working outside of the home. Nowadays, it's only when I'm going out and I also us an electric razor.

Back in December, I fell down the basement stairs. Hubby called an ambulance to take me to the ER and I was apologizing cause I hadn't shaved in awhile, how vain is that!

I would love to just stop shaving, wish we lived in a society that accepted hairy legs, :)
  9. tandy

tandy New Member

I hate having hair other than on my head! LOL

If I did'nt have a man,.... I might go longer inbetween shaves. (yea,..no doubt!)
    cause it is a pain in the butt job~
    almost as bad as cleaning the toilet!~

:) Tandy
  10. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

Although it's not very noticeable anyway. I never had much leg or underarm hair and since I developed thyroid problems, it's even less.

11. smithje77

smithje77 New Member

I shave under the arms, but not my legs or any other areas. It's too tiring - somethings got to give to that's it. I will shave in the summer though.

-Joy
  12. i bought a electric shaver and use it to shave my legs,i have noticed however that the hairs are only growing on the front of my legs,,the hairs dont grow on the back of them,but im not complaining,its less hair to shave haha.
    i still shave under my arms but i use a cheap disposible shaver for that,occasionally ill use my hubbies shaver,then he tells me off,says ive blunt his blade.he,s just a cry baby.

kind regards
    fran xx
  13. 1sweetie

1sweetie New Member

At this moment, I probably shave my legs once a week unless I should be lucky enough to find someone to take me to get a massage or I have to go to a doctor that might look at my legs. Last year it I would go for a few weeks. I've even canceled massage appointments or doctor appointments because I didn't have the energy to shave. Of course last year it was all I could to do bath. It's hard to believe that my life has come to this but I'm glad I have this board to know that someone else understands because nobody around me does. This thread made me really understand how we have been so programmed about appearance that we would give up appointments or be so embarrassed about such a trivial thing. Apparence use to be everything to me. It's been hard to accept that I can't do this things. I always looked good(or thought I did) when I left my home or even at home. My priorities have really had to change. Has this been as difficult for you as it has been for me???
  14. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I use an Emjoi gizmo which looks like an electric razor. Instead of blades, it has tons of little rotating tweezers which yank the hair out by the root. I know it sounds painful and the first time one does it, it is. I've been doing it for about 20 years since the first EpiLady came out.

Thing is that eventually, a lot of the hair stops coming back in and most of what does come back in is very fine and soft. It only needs to be done every six weeks, but if one does it every couple of weeks, there is only about 1/3 of the hair to be removed because hair grows back in at different rates. I also use it on my underarms. I never have to worry that I missed a spot shaving. We wear a lot of sleeveless clothes here all year round.

Love, Mikie
  15. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Shannonsparkles:
    I am a shaver. I never feel 'clean' if I do not do it.
    It is just a matter of conditioning: I have been doing it for so many years that it would seem strange for me to stop.
    I also like the feeling smooth legs give me. No, I would not stop. That is just me, though.
    Hugs,
    NyroFan
  16. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

I do it every other day because I have a hubby but also because I like the smooth feel also. I only shave to the top of my knee because my hair is very light and fine.

fun post!

sofi
  17. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

...everytime I bathe. I don't bathe everyday because it takes so much energy to get in and out of the bathtub or shower and then the scrubbing motion...whew, I usually need to rest afterwards so I try to do this at night.

With me, the leg shaving is a ritual part of my "clean-up" time. I am married, but even if I weren't I would still shave. I don't like having a stubble on my legs. I have dark hair and it would show. Thank goodness the hair on your legs diminishes as you get older.
  18. angeljoe

angeljoe New Member

Most days it takes a massive amout of energy to shower! I feel better after a shower and some make up. I want to look good for my hubby when he comes in from work. I still shave every one or two days.

I find myself more depressed when I don't shower and shave. If you saw me in the morning you all would know why... lol

My hubby shaves and cleans up for me everyday... So I need to at least return the favor. Even when I feel horrible and want to stay in bed all day. I will start cleaning myself up about thirty minutes before he gets off work.
    Angela
  19. fivesue

fivesue New Member

but not nearly as often as I did when I was younger. I do keep my underarms clear, but the legs sometimes get really long. However, as I age, the amount of hair and the thickness is far less than when younger. And, with my eyesight getting a little worse, I can't see it as well.

Of course, I always wear long pants so it's no big deal until I go to wear something else...and then, I have a little electric razor that works just fine.

Don't think I'll ever give it up completely but who knows?

(-:

Sue
  20. sunshineno2

sunshineno2 New Member

Is anyone thru menapause? The reason being--I have noticed that I don't hardly have any hair on my legs and under my pitts anymore, since going thru menapause.(I am 52yrs)And I am dark hair and always had a lot of hair on my legs!! So is this normal? Anyone know? sunshinenos