Ladies, does your FM get worse before/during your cycle?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lwhite1111, Sep 29, 2008.

1. lwhite1111

lwhite1111 New Member

Hi, newbie here.

I'm 43 and I have noticed over the past 6 months that the FM symptoms seem to worsen about a week before my period and then gradualy lighten up towards the end of the period. My Rheumy says the hormonal fluctuations can cause FM flare-ups. I feel like I've been having a flare-up for 6 months. ugh. and what is a flare-up anyway? Can anyone tell me the average length of time that they last?

any advice?
    Thanks so much[This Message was Edited on 09/29/2008]
  2. vannafeelbettr

vannafeelbettr New Member

Good timing on this question for me. I have been feeling very well the last couple of weeks, following a great dietary protocol. Now, I am just days from expecting my monthly friend, and I am started to be irritable and ache all over.... which is causing me to eat bad (carbs).... which in turn is making me hurt more.

As for a flare-up, they are exactly that.... your condition's symptoms are exascerbated. A flare-up can last for days, weeks, months, or even years for some. You could very well be having a flare-up that has lasted a good 6 months.

Good luck!!!
  3. SkeptikSharon

SkeptikSharon New Member

Yep! I get much worse right before and during my periods. Its horrible. I end up not being able to do anything during that time, because I am in so much pain and have so little energy. Plus, I tend to get more migraines during that time, and as of yet, have not been able to find a migraine medication that actually WORKS. Fun.
  4. lwhite1111

lwhite1111 New Member

Thanks everybody for your replies. So sorry for all your pains and flare-ups.
    As for My gyno, he is no help...I'm looking for a new one.

My rheumy also said that fibro tends to ease up with age. Has anyone ever heard of this or actually experienced it? I told her mine has gotten worse with age.

Another thing...sometimes during a severe flare-up I'll have anxiety and depression and sometimes bad panic attacks. So "they" (some of the docs I've seen) have me diagnosed with panic disorder and I am on klonopin 0.5 twice a day, which I'm trying to ween off of. The psychiatrist and Rheumatologist say it's from the fibro though. And not a chemical imbalance. I am confused about that one but hanging in there. I noticed stress can cause flare-ups big time...and sometimes even viruses, like if my son brings home a stomach virus for instance, I will have a flare-up within a couple of days.
    oh and yes I've had the hormones tested and they always come back normal. [This Message was Edited on 10/01/2008]