removal help please

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by painterZ, Jun 7, 2008.

1. painterZ

painterZ New Member

First of all, sorry for the double post I hit delete instead of edit.

Ok, I am light skinned (my bi-racial daughter says I'm transparent)and have blond, fairly fine leg "fur". I've tried using Neet and Nair and got horrible chemical burns from them. A professional wax job left welts. Anybody have any suggestions for something that would work longer than shaving? I also have polycystic ovarian syndrome and it messes with your hormones so now I'm getting a stubborn, tough, face "fur" on my chin. What's up with that? Should I mow it or what?

Thanks for any insight.

2. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

no one seems to have answers for you.

Being European, I never shaved in any case. Now after menopause I am fairly hairless these days.

I always laugh when I see the "Lost" clips and the women all have shaved their underarms and legs, but the guys grow beards due to no razors. They all manage to keep up with the tooth bleaching too.

Ditto for caveman movies, some (prior to white fillings being used) show cave dwellers with fillings!!!

You can buy microwave wax at any pharmacy for about $4 that will help yank of moustaches so I believe.

I love pointing out discrepancies-like period movies set in 1948 when they get the right looking phone, but the wrong cord(no coiled cords then)and zippers on flies.

Oh well, good luck and hope you get a response.

Love Annie
  3. painterZ

painterZ New Member

thanks for your reply, it was nice even though you had no specific answers. I guess I could always move to Europe, huh? LOL

My sister and I always comment on how neatly kept the women on "LOST" are. They must use sand as exfoliant and sharpen some seashells for razors. Maybe the Dharma Initiative had some stockpiled...God knows no one can live without a razor. Oh, and the men...they have that stubble going on but it never seems to grow past that. :) And don't their teeth positively glow, especially when they get really grimey?

Guess I'll just keep doin' what I'm doin' 'til I win a million dollars and can get painless laser hair removal. :)

4. painterZ

painterZ New Member

Your secret is safe with me...I won't tell anyone about that pesky hair of I never even considered a dermatologist and I actually have one because skin cancer runs in my family. Thanks for the lightbulb moment.

Oh, my baby graduated 5th grade today and her grandmother had her hair done up so pretty, but the heat just killed it. She's really able to style her own hair well, which honestly is a blessing, because she has tight, tight curls and dry hair that frizzes. My daughter is bi-racial, black and white, and she was adopted by two of the palest people on the planet. Her skin color difference used to bother her but now everybody says how pretty she is and she flaunts things like "I don't need panty-hose 'cause I'm not transparent." Yes, she is well into her tween attitude.

Back to leg hair...I think I might try the more sensitive Nair on my legs, but yeah, I'd be afraid to put it on my face.

Thanks for your help!

5. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

Hi Painter,

I know that they have laser hair removal that is supposed to be good. Some endos would know where to go and you can find them in your phone book ni doubt.

Not sure how long it lasts but I also that depends on each person individually. After awhile I think it is supposed get less ane less (the hair growth). I am considering it but I know it isn't cheap. It is just on my face. It drives me CRAZY and I wish it was just 1 dumb hair (NOT)!!! AAACK! I know it isn'tto cheap and I keep forgetting to call and check the prices.

Just an idea for you.

6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I use an Emjoy epilator which pulls hair out by the roots. I've been doing it since the days of the old EpiLady back in the 80's. The new epilators are not nearly as painful as the old Epilady was. The longer I have done it, the less painful it is. It no longer hurts at all, even under the arms or the bikini area. Epilating discourages regrowth and I have very little hair on my legs now and what is there is soft and blond.

It lasts about six weeks but I do it more often than that. Hair grows back at different rates and if I do it every couple of weeks, I'm only removing about 1/3 or the hair. Anything which pulls hair out by the roots, including waxing, can leave little bumps, especially in the bikini area.

Love, Mikie
  7. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

You have me squirming and squealing here!

Ouch, ouchy, ouch!

I have always just used a razer in the shower on my legs. I think the "in the shower" part is what makes it easy.

And, for my little stache (shhhh!), either tweezers or those little wax strips from the drugstore.

Never a plucking machine!!!

Ouch, ouchy, ouch!

ETA In highschool I used some kind of chemical depilatory on my legs which I found far too messy. Then, I found one for the face. Well, thought I, this is fantastic! I ended up burning my upper lip which was raw, red and swollen for a very, very long time -- felt like all of grade 10![This Message was Edited on 06/10/2008]
  8. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

There is a cold wax process that can be done for more sensitive skinned people.

There are also some drug store wax strips that aren't as ' tough' as the professional stuff - they are pre-waxed - for your upper lip or chin area. It would take WAY too long and too many to do your legs.

I use a little cream - I think it's a Sally Hansen brand that I buy at Target for my lip.
    Such a nice thing about getting older isn't it? Me and my sisters all have the same problem. It's so funny to see one of us with the same movement. You can tell when someone found a whisker on their chin.
    I can't stand them. Once I feel one, it has to come out!
  9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Of course, in the beginning, it hurt like hell. I would sit down with my EpiLady and do a very small section on each leg and work my way out. Some areas are more sensitive than others. After a while, the skin loses the sensitivity to being plucked. Also, the new epilators are much more gentle and comfortable to use. I love knowing that when I remove the hair under my arms, I don't have to worry about stubble for a looooong time.

Love, Mikie
  10. painterZ

painterZ New Member

back in the day I tried Epilady and if I didn't scream I was crying. Yeeouch! But whatever works for ya! I did pick up a jar of some cold green wax, I forget what its called. I wanna try it but I have an appt tomorrow and I'd like to go in with my chin intact. :) I'll let you know if this green goo does any good.

Thanks for all the imput!

11. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

That has a totally different meaning for men :)

I once tried to wax my bikini area. I applied the wax, waited, and ripped it off, according to the directions. Well, a layer or two of skin came off and it was very painful, but the hair was still there. No more wax jobs for me.

Sorry about the painful EpiLady flashbacks and nightmares. My Emjoy looks like an electric razor but instead of blades, it has rows of gold tweezers which rotate and pluck the hairs. Actually, the shorter the hair when it is plucked, the less painful it is. I think too many people try an epilator on hair which is too long.

BTW, the Emjoy has two settings and I can use it on facial hair too. Mine is so fine and blonde, though, that I don't pluck it.

Love, Mikie
  12. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

I use the tweezie, which is like an automatice tweezer and it's the best thing I've tried so far.

What is up with this hormone stuff? My hair on my head is falling out and coming out on my chin!!

Sue in Ontario
  13. painterZ

painterZ New Member

the cold wax just made me legs, well...cold. Could've been me I didn't quite get the "going against the grain thing". I think I did that in middle school wood arts class or something. Tweeze...I've only seen that on info-mercials...guess it's something I could surf up on the net. Thanks for the continued imput.

Where's the madscientist when you need him??

14. therealmadscientist

therealmadscientist New Member

We are breeding a species of army ants that does a complete depilatory in less than ten minutes. Still have the problem that sometimes they are still hungry after all the hair is gone.

While the PETA people have been on our case for mistreating the ants, we expect complete success in 2050. lol, Mr Mad

Seems like it would be easy to develop a home laser system. Use a (cheap) laser that only effects hair dyed with a special dye. The laser would be harmless otherwise and could be in size of an electric razor.

........ Just discovered that Gilette really is working on a home laser hair removing device
    [This Message was Edited on 06/18/2008]
  15. painterZ

painterZ New Member

you make the laser I'll try it!! I could say something really crude about the ants but I'll just keep it behind my evil smile :)

16. therealmadscientist

therealmadscientist New Member

One of my favorite things!! Cheers LOL
  17. mylilcherub428

mylilcherub428 New Member

I am the one to talk to about hair I also have pcos U usually either gain lots of weight or get facial hair honestly not sure whic is worse

I 7th grade I got a mustach and then begean the kids teasing me fist I bleached it which also made my skin lighter

at abot 18 I started getting neck and chin hair

so I started waxing and it would just break out with tons of pimples after no matter what I used to get the wax off not sure that was better than hair

finally gave up and started shavin by that time iy looked manly and I could not put up with it some say shaving makes it thicker I just think it aging ohh before I shave I'd pluck and long as I could stand and shave the rest

when I got disability I got lazer which cost a decent amount and hurts the way they word it in can grow back and some will I am getting maintenece done once a YEAR

it was definately worth it so many compliments There is also electrolisis but hurts and does not get thick hairs

there is a cream vaniqua or suttin gyno says does not usually work good costs alot

you can also apply for a care credit card charge the lazer on that it is like a credit card but for medical stuff and teeth vets and csmetic stuff as long as u do not pay them late they charge no interst

let me know if u need more advice i'm yer girl-KIm
  18. painterZ

painterZ New Member

I'm still looking for that tweeze thing...the shipping costs are crazy over the net and some have said I could probably find it in stores by now.

I'm gettin' better with the Nads...seems pretty good but I consistantly pull in the wrong direction...ooppsss!

I asked my dermatologist about Vanquil and it's over $100 for a tube that lasts varing lengths for different people. No way can I afford that now.

I recently saw a show on Big Foot and thought that they're probably just a group of women who decided to "let things go natural" and give up this hair removal stuff. I imagine the cost of shampoo would be outlandish though. :)

Thanks for all the tips!