Ladies...How do you retrain leg muscles?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Achy-shaky, Jun 20, 2003.

1. Achy-shaky

Achy-shaky New Member

I'm addressing this to all the ladies because like many of you, I'm one who was taught by my Mom to hold my knees together while sitting as proper manners when wearing skirts. So since I was a young girl I've always done this. However, since getting this DD a few years ago, I've noticed that while sitting now my muscles get worn out from the effort it takes to pull my legs in - it's still an automatic habit that I'm trying to break because it's painful and causes tension to spread from legs to back...something I don't need. I've tried different positions but the worst time is while sitting at computer desk. Does anyone have this problem or any suggestions that would get me to stop doing this?

Thanks!
    Shaky
  2. zestytx

zestytx New Member

I was having the same problem. I bought one of those big inflatable exercise balls at Walmart and have been stretching and exercising with it. It's made a BIG difference in my muscle tone and the length of my muscles all over my body. My legs dont' shake anymore and my back is a lot better. My balance is more stable, too. Just wish I had some more energy.
  3. zggygirl

zggygirl New Member

Hi,
    What is a good way to learn how to use one of those balls?
    I know a chiropractor uses them and would teach me, but I hesitate to pay his prices, especially when money is so tight.
    But I keep wondering about those balls.
    Thanks,
    Ziggy
    PS Do you need to use your feet alot-ie; putting weight on them? It hurts my feet when I stand, so I can't do that much right now.
    [This Message was Edited on 06/20/2003]
    [This Message was Edited on 06/20/2003]
  4. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I have always been one of those gals that 'crossed' their legs when sitting, was told this was a problem also.

I try to keep them together, but old habits are hard to break.

I bought a foot rest for the computer, it helps a great deal.

They are sold at Office Depot, you can adjust them to find your confort level and they take the stress off the hips and back. It has worked like a charm.

Also, if you sleep on your side, use a pillow between your knees, it keeps your back and hips aligned. I really have no problems with my hips anymore.

Hope this helps solve your problem too.

Shalom, Shirl

5. Achy-shaky

Achy-shaky New Member

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I'm lucky to have a pool where I live but it's been so cool so far this year I haven't gone in but soon as it warms up I plan to start doing some aqua-therapy.

Shirl, thanks & I do have footrest and pillow for between knees at night...both good suggestions. What my issue is that I can't seem to relax my legs while sitting...maybe it's just a anxiety issue because it bothers me the most when I'm having extra anxiety which seems to be more often lately. I use Klonopin but have been trying to not take so much as it makes me spacey & increases my heart irregularities so guess I will look for something else to help with that.

Everyone have a good night.
    Shaky

6. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Do you take magnesium? It is just wonderful for restless leg, and just general anxiety problems.

Most of us with FM/CFS are deficient in this mineral.

After I started with the Pro Energy (malic acid and magnesium glycinate) for pain and energy it helped with that 'restless' general feeling.

Then last year I started taking ZMA (zinc, magnesium and vitamin B-6) for deep sleep. Since then I do not get RLS at night anymore.

Just though I would mention this, since it has helped me so very much.

Shalom, Shirl
  7. Dara

Dara New Member

I take Sinemet for RLS and I know of other people who take it and it seems to help. This RLS definitely runs in my family. My Mom had it, we used to give her a bad time because nobody could ever try and sleep in the same bed with her, she was moving her legs 100 mph. My three brothers and my sister also have it. I can never sit still, I have to move my legs. It helps if I stretch my legs out as far as I can, just seems to help relieve the tension in them.

Dara
  8. zestytx

zestytx New Member

on how to use it.. and there are classes in some communities on using it.. I live in the sticks and had to just depend on the instructional guide that came with the ball. It was pretty self explanatory. Just be sure to go slowly and work up to what you feel comfortable doing. I also saw a book at Barnes and Nobles tonight called the Pilates Ball workout or something like that. Had good pictures and theory behind the positions. I just do what feels good to me.. stretching, squeezing, bouncing. It has made an incredible difference in how I feel and it has not aggravated my muscles or joints at all.