Ladies: I have a question about shaving

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by fibrohugslife, Apr 11, 2006.

1. fibrohugslife

fibrohugslife New Member

Ok this a tad embarassing for me to post this and I have never let myself go without shaving for so long like this but between being so ill and unable to move well, etc, shaving has not been a major concern if you know what I mean and well the only person seeing my legs are me and my cat LOL. I basically look like Chewbacca's sister and the hair on my legs are basically a 1/2 inch long or so LOL.

EVENTUALLY I am going to need to shave my legs and I am trying to figure out the best way to do it without irritating my skin. I shaved my underarms about a week or so ago and used Aveeno sensitive body wash and well I think my skin was still too sensitive and ended with those irritation bumps.

My skin has been really funky lately between the meds I take and such and so the weather slowly getting warmer. I am wanting to wear shorts and skirts and well basically I look like Chewbacca's sister LOL.

So waxing is out as that is painful and the hair is long. It would take a few razors to shave it, and then thought about Nair but the chemicals in it would probably make my skin breakout.

So do you know any skin products that are just extra sensitive in shaving?

Please let me know!

Nicole

2. suzetal

suzetal New Member

No way cant bend over that long................Been to doctors and tell them excuse my hairy legs but cant do them all the time.....................I rally don't care that much about it Men have hairy legs and don't have to shave so why do we..........................Who ever decided that women need to shave anyway.?

Sorry I don't have sensitive skin so cant help you there.

I will when pool season gets here to many people come over to use our pool.

Sue
  3. maggiemae55

maggiemae55 New Member

soaking you a bathtub to soften the hair, and use a brand new triple blade razor, shave down to get the long stuff, and then use a new razor to go "against the grain". I love Aveeno products too. I have seen a new after shave for women and I'm pretty sure they make a sensitive skin one.

Since I hit 50 in Sept., I don't seem to have nearly as much hair grwoth....I guess a bonus for turning 50.

Hope this helps,

Maggie
  4. fibrohugslife

fibrohugslife New Member

Many men shave these days soooo lol....well men in my age range...

Between not feeling well and all I have been wanting to go to the warm water exercise classes and then I look at the hair and I know that it would be a definite irritant to have all that hair on me and the chlorine, etc.

In the U.S. There is such a big focus on it, and personally for me when I am shaven it makes things easier and less skin probs sometimes. The country where my family is from shaving is not a big deal so I am used that way of life.

Anyway I will figure something out.

Thanks anyway,
    Nicole
  5. fibrohugslife

fibrohugslife New Member

Thanks oh so much...later on today I am going to attempt to do some grocery shopping and will add that to my list.

My mom does not have much hair on her legs and it is rarely noticeable, and I know that after she went through menopause she had even less hair on her legs and arms, and the underarms as well.

For me well I am 29 sooooo I still have some ways to go but the hair on my legs need to go though lol.

Thanks,
    Nicole
    [This Message was Edited on 04/12/2006]
  6. Andrea4

Andrea4 New Member

when i was a teen, my brother and his friends used to call me "the missing link" because I was so hairy. my mother wouldnt let me shave the hair on my thighs, only my calves so i looked weird...bare calves and hairy thighs. I SOOOO hated gym class heaving to wear shorts.

anyway, i get those bumps too. the soaking idea is good. here's another tip. make sure the bathroom is warm and there is no draft....that can cause goosebumps which of course get sliced when you shave.

I've been using Dove Calming Night to shave my legs when I am able. I put a bunch on a natural hair bristle bath brush and foam it up, and exfoliate as I shave. I only use a 2 blade razor because the 3 blade ones dont do my knees and hard to reach areas very well. I noticed alot less bumps doing it this way.
  7. eeyoreblue02

eeyoreblue02 Member

Have you ever tried any of the hair removal products like Nair or Magic Shave? My husband uses the Magic Shave. They have one for sensitive skin. He has good results with it and does not get the bumps. He puts it on his entire head.

Andrea, my mom wouldn't let me shave my thighs when I was a teenager either. I thought that was so crazy. I'm glad to know someone else went through that!

Linda
  8. fibrohugslife

fibrohugslife New Member

and finally some relief and such of itching and the sorts. I normally use Nair even the sensitive kind but my skin cannot handle those type of things anymore, so it is the good ole razor.

I guess in the future I will just have to keep up on this stuff until I win the lottery and do the laser hair removal stuff permanently LOL.

Thanks everyone,
    Nicole
  9. glafdy

glafdy New Member

Shaving is still a problem with me - I'm 55 and still grow a lot of dark hair on my legs. I don't shave much in the winter, but now that spring is coming that will have to change because I like to wear capris.

What helps me is to shower first so the legs get warmed up and the hair softens somewhat. After I dry the upper half of my body I sit on the side of the tub, lather my legs well with a shaving gel, and shave my legs. I also installed a handicap bar a ways up the wall which I can use to help me get up when I need to (else I might end up sitting there all day :)

I hope this helps. It is such a nuisance to be "blessed" with dark hairy legs.

Glady
  10. Andrea4

Andrea4 New Member

nair didnt work. i tried those "sugaring" products....they didn't work. i tried waxing and couldnt take the pain. i resigned myself to shaving.

and, for those of you who are hairy...do you have a lot of hair growing in other places too...face, chest, etc? i hav a few wild ones on my chin...i hate it!
  11. mme_curie68

mme_curie68 New Member

I stole my husband's Gillette Mach 3 Turbo razor and ended up having to buy him a second one, I liked it so much.

I always use the sensitive skin formula shaving gel with the razor. It vibrates and the vibration of the blades give you a really close shave on the legs that holds up a little longer (but not as long as a wax would).

I get the bikini area waxed (standard just the sides - not the exotic contortions involved for the "Brazilian" which takes it off everywhere). The hair doesn't grow back for a long time and it's much easier than weekly shaving which leaves me bumpy even with the best razor and shave gel.

I'm biding my time until laser hair removal becomes more affordable and I can just go and get rid of it for good!

Hugs,
    Madame Curie
  12. kdeenak

kdeenak New Member

I like the Schick Quatro for women razor. It does a good job, and works like my husbands, but I think the head pivots more so it is easier to use.
  13. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

I don't shave my legs in the winter months. I do my underarms because I wear a lot of tank tops with cardigans over them. Sometimes I have to take the cardigan off!

I shave in the summer so I can wear capris. I use a triple blade razor and baby lotion. Doesn't irritate that way.

I had an aunt who had cancer and lost her hair to radiation treatments. She said the only good part of the treatment was she didn't have to shave any more!

Hugzz
    Greenbean
  14. lhoffpauir

lhoffpauir New Member

I avoid shaving at all costs. Like you, my skin is so sensitive that I end up looking like a cow with red blotches all over!! I have to cope with that for a few days since all the other shaving items are either too expensive or irritating also. My mom has sensitive skin also and she uses a product called SurgiCream. It can be found in any drug store like Sav-on, Walgreens, Rite Aid, etc.... It is used in hospitals, etc for hair removal prior to surgery. I hope that you are able to find what works best for you and if not....just braid it and go about life like there is nothing wrong or different!!! Recently I spent 3 days in the hospital (major fibro flare up) and had not shaved for a VERY long time so I told the nurse that if she had any down time during the night, she could braid it if she wanted!!!

Good luck........Leslie
  15. RockiAZ

RockiAZ New Member

I use my hubby's weed wacker.... sorry, just couldn't help it.

Actually, what works best and easiest for me is an electric shaver (for ladies) as I have sensitive skin also. Tried the waxing thing years go..eeeeeeeeeeeeeeouch!

Live, Laugh, Love,
    Rocki
  16. Bambi

Bambi New Member

place to use hair conditioner that you put on after you shampoo your hair as a shaving cream. It works wonderfully, is very slick and the razor doesn't catch or anything. Leaves your skin soft afterwards also. You might give it a try.
  17. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

I haven't shaved my legs since last Easter. I often braid the hair on my head, but never thought about doing my legs. I wonder how they would look in corn rows. Way too much work, though.

When I do shave, I exfolliate the day before. This seems to help some.
  18. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

But I LOVE my new hairy legs and armpits!

There's nothing like the feeling of the cool air swishing through your long, luxuriant leg hair after a bath without shaving - give it a few months for full results. Soft and silky, fully mature leg hair is like nothing shaving can provide.

And, armpit hair gross?! No way! It's something to twizzle around your little finger while reading your relatives boring e-mails to you. Think of all the extra deoderant it can hold. And, maybe it'll come out the same as your hair color.

You're as good as any man! Show off your right to equal opportunity by growing your leg hair!

The hottest male models of the world go against the grain of their gender and shave it all off, and male sports stars in swimming do the same. The most beautiful guys are totally defying social convention when it comes to hairiness - and so can you too!

So enjoy the glamour and sexiness that being different brings. Add simplicity and comfort to your routine. Go Gorilla Legs!!!!

Disclaimer: the preceding was written by a housebound oddball who never has to show her skin in public, and who believes that any form of insulation against the Canadian winter is a good one. She also has plans to design Hippie Barbie based on her own current physical schematics, and schemes to take over the world through internet message boards!

(((shaving is way too serrious!))) love, Shannon