Ladies, I need your assistance - Pelvic pain

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JaneSmith, Nov 27, 2010.

  1. JaneSmith

    JaneSmith New Member

    I have urine urgency and some pain. Doc says no infection. Have FM for 40 years. Feel some burning some of the time. Any advice for this 59 year old lady?

    Thank you so much because I'm miserable right now.

  2. TigerLilea

    TigerLilea Active Member

    Hi Jane - It could be that you have interstitial cystitis.

    * * *
    By Mayo Clinic staff

    Interstitial cystitis — also called painful bladder syndrome — is a chronic condition characterized by a combination of uncomfortable bladder pressure, bladder pain and sometimes pain in your pelvis, which can range from mild burning or discomfort to severe pain.

    Interstitial cystitis is a chronic condition that affects an estimated 1 million Americans. While it can affect children and men, most of those affected are women. Interstitial cystitis can have a long-lasting adverse impact on your quality of life.

    The severity of symptoms caused by interstitial cystitis often fluctuates, and some people may experience periods of remission. Although there's no treatment that reliably eliminates interstitial cystitis, a variety of medications and other therapies offer relief.

    * * *

    Those of us with CFS and FM are more prone to getting IC. I had a bladder dilation done which pretty much cleared mine up. Now I just have the ocassional episode and it is usually caused by eating something very spicey or very acidic. Mine was originally caused by having a bath using bath salts. I learned the hard way that women should never use bath salts or bubble bath as it gets into the bladder (and other places) and can damage the lining of the bladder.

    You should also get your ovaries checked out if your doctor hasn't already done so as Ovarian Cancer can also cause these symptoms.

  3. ellikers

    ellikers New Member

    There are other issues related to the pelvic area that can cause urgency and burning. Most of them have to do with the pelvic floor muscles. You can have tension in the pelvic floor muscles (the ones that are like a hammock between your front pubic bone and your tailbone between your legs) that causes pain like that and also aggravation of the lower abdominal muscle can cause bladder pain as well (it's referred pain).

    I'd suggest looking into visiting a physical therapist (trained in dealing with trigger points related to the pelvic area, you can call local PTs to ask them what types of things they generally treat and if it includes pelvic floor tension).

    Another idea is seeing a urologist, a specialist, not just a regular MD who knows about pelvic floor tension and other issues that could affect the bladder. They can do a scope of the bladder to check if it's interstitial cystitis (lesions and sores and inflammation of the bladder will indicate that it's IC) or something else ... a palpation exam (touching the muscles in the pelvic floor) can indicate if the muscles are abnormally tense.

  4. coolma

    coolma New Member

    You can have pelvic pain caused by spasms in fibro and not have any infection. Muscle relaxers help ease the spasm. If everything else is ruled out, treat it as fibro and relieve the spasm, like you would if it were in your back, i.e. warm bath, muscle relaxer, pain relief. I agree, it could be a trigger point issue.
    There is a med you can have to stop the frequent urination. I am also 59 and suffer the same, but I don't want any more meds so I will live with it. Compared to everything else, it's at the bottom of my list! Good luck!
  5. ellikers

    ellikers New Member

    If there are spasms, it usually means there is an underlying issue that needs to be addressed. It's usually because the muscle is overworked or tired ... this can result from other muscles and parts of the body being out of alignment and therefore every time we use a muscle group certain muscles are working in ways they shouldn't, and then they get tired and tense and that can cause spasms.

[ advertisement ]