Ladies only please, GYNO and FMS

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Chelz, Feb 13, 2011.

1. Chelz

Chelz New Member

I visited my GYNO this past week. I hadn't had a pap in a couple of years, and I also wanted to rule out some pelvic pain versus FMS, if that makes sense. Well, the pelvic exam checked out okay, no cysts or fibroid issues going on so far.

Although I am embarrassed to mention this, I felt I should. In the past sex has been painful for me (I'm not active now) and I mentioned this to her, she is aware of my FM. She checked me for vulvodynia and that checked out okay. The next thing she mentioned was very embarrassing to me, she asked me if I was willing to try "vaginal physical therapy", to help with pain. She seems to think, or at least she led me to believe that the painful sex could be a part of the FM. Part of FM is a muscle problem and because we "hurt all over" it affects that area as well.

She was very nice about it and she didn't make me feel awkward or anything, so it's not the doctor, I just have never heard of this type of therapy before? I almost wanted to laugh and say I have been to so much "regular" physical therapy in the past, but not this kind.

She told me if I was interested to call her office back and they would give me more information. Not sure I really need this for the purpose it is indicated for, but maybe it would help with pelvic pain stemming from the FM, really confused about this one and definately not sure I would do it, seems too personal and strange, LOL.

Normally, I don't post about these kind of things, but geeeezzz, you learn something new everyday I guess. Anyone heard of this?????? Hugs, Chelz.
  2. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

Don't be embarrassed! We're all friends here and we all have the same "parts", so there is nothing to be embarrassed about!
    I have not heard about "physical therapy" for that. Only heard of kegel exercises which I have always done. I'm a bit curious about what the physical therapy entails.

I know that painful sex can be attributed to many different things, so I guess one would need to exclude the other things one by one?

Let us know what you find out!

3. proteinlady

proteinlady New Member

I can't help but wonder if she's talking about strain/counter strain. I did that with someone for some of my other problem areas. The PT lady did ask me if I had pelvic floor issues. She said they get a lot of referrals from OB/GYN for women with those types of problems.

If this is what they are talking about, strain/counterstrain is wonderful and is very effective at shutting down pathways associated with trigger pts/tender pts depending on what the current acceptable jargon is. Strain/counterstrain does not involve any type of stretching or anything that is hard on the body. They put you in a position that shortens the muscle in question and takes all the strain out of it. It resets the muscle reflex arc that goes from the muscle to the brain. Anyways you hold the position for 90 sec and then slowly release. It's not invasive. at all. I've shut down a lot of the pain in my rib area, upper back and shoulder and legs - walking is so much easier now.

Here's some links that describe better than I can.

Here's a link that shows the various muscles that can have trigger pts. There are strain/counterstrain positions for all of them.